• Aug 8th, 2017 5:07 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 4, 2017
137 posts
33 upvotes

less stressful Career...

This is for my friend...

My friend recently discovered she has Anxiety issues and OCD which started because of her current job's stress and workplace. She works in IT and earns close to 80k and she has Master's in it.
She wants to work but she does not think she can work in stressful workplace . but she also does not want to leave such a good pay job.
SHe is confused.
I am wondering if RFD'er knows any other industry she can think of with good pay which is less stressful. Any suggestion?
35 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10472 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto
Just get a new job at a different company. She doesn't have to leave the industry or even role she is currently in.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1594 posts
1814 upvotes
Edmonton
What's the source of the stress? Workload? Pace? Office politics? Manager?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
Your friend needs to learn how to manage her stress and issues, first of all. Until she does that, life in general will be a challenge.

Second, "IT" is a very general career area. Can't give much advice without useful input. But finding a more laid back company is a good start. Might be less money, but compared to not being able to work at all...

C
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
She's stressed at an 80k year IT job in Canada?

Is that even a full-time job. She even writing code? Come on bro.

I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
[OP]
Feb 4, 2017
137 posts
33 upvotes
frozenmelon wrote: What's the source of the stress? Workload? Pace? Office politics? Manager?
Its mostly sarcasm which i believe she is not able to take it sportily.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2017
137 posts
33 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Your friend needs to learn how to manage her stress and issues, first of all. Until she does that, life in general will be a challenge.

Second, "IT" is a very general career area. Can't give much advice without useful input. But finding a more laid back company is a good start. Might be less money, but compared to not being able to work at all...

C
I agree with you.
Afaik She is basically in product support. Where she has to deal with their customer base on daily and solve their problem live network.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2017
137 posts
33 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: She's stressed at an 80k year IT job in Canada?

Is that even a full-time job. She even writing code? Come on bro.

Whats in it to difficult to believe? 80k is very common in IT. I would say average pay.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
80k is decent salary.
Every job has it's own stress level no matter it's pay.
Even you work as a cashier in a grocery store and make minimum pay, there is a stress level.

OP's friend needs to deal with the issue and not avoid it.
Take a short leave? Consult a professional? Change job?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12855 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto
she needs to find a 80K man.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1594 posts
1814 upvotes
Edmonton
bhushh009 wrote: Its mostly sarcasm which i believe she is not able to take it sportily.
Some options here:
  1. Confront sarcastic coworkers
  2. Grow a sense of humor
Easier than getting a new job in a new industry for 80k.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
frozenmelon wrote: Some options here:
  1. Confront sarcastic coworkers
  2. Grow a sense of humor
Easier than getting a new job in a new industry for 80k.
Changing industries isn't going to fix "sarcastic" co-workers. They exist in every industry. So do rude people, domineering people, etc. Your friend needs to learn how to cope as an adult. Changing careers isn't going to help, unless she manages to find a job that doesn't involve interacting with other people.

C
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1999 posts
878 upvotes
HK
CNeufeld wrote: Changing industries isn't going to fix "sarcastic" co-workers. They exist in every industry. So do rude people, domineering people, etc. Your friend needs to learn how to cope as an adult. Changing careers isn't going to help, unless she manages to find a job that doesn't involve interacting with other people.

C
Great post. I would like to add that I have found more passive/sarcastic/cynical workers with technical folks (e.g. developers, testers), whereas business folks are more aggressive/political/domineering.

As for OP, it won't be easy.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16030 posts
393 upvotes
She needs a hobby or something after work to blow off steam.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2739 posts
318 upvotes
bhushh009 wrote: This is for my friend...

My friend recently discovered she has Anxiety issues and OCD which started because of her current job's stress and workplace. She works in IT and earns close to 80k and she has Master's in it.
She wants to work but she does not think she can work in stressful workplace . but she also does not want to leave such a good pay job.
SHe is confused.
I am wondering if RFD'er knows any other industry she can think of with good pay which is less stressful. Any suggestion?
Pay is not worth the stress and your mental health.
BlackJays wrote: shame has been acheived
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
navyseals wrote: Pay is not worth the stress and your mental health.
I know, right? Being homeless wouldn't be stressful at all! Screw this "working for a living" BS!

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
There are tons of 30-40k jobs that are stressful. In extreme cases, someone already gave the retail cashier job example.

Perhaps try to work for the public sector? I'm not saying they're lazy and there arent stressful jobs within government, but there could be a chance of a better work balance that is more tolerable for your friend.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
No Frills wrote: There are tons of 30-40k jobs that are stressful. In extreme cases, someone already gave the retail cashier job example.

Perhaps try to work for the public sector? I'm not saying they're lazy and there arent stressful jobs within government, but there could be a chance of a better work balance that is more tolerable for your friend.
Good luck trying to find an $80k job in customer support in the government, surrounded by "non-sarcastic" co-workers...

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5995 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Hahaha no kidding!

I guess we're looking for a work from home job.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.