Careers

Letter after phone call from Service canada is a scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2020 6:20 pm

Poll: Is Pascal Yachouh a scam artist?

• Total votes: 14. You have voted on this poll.
DEFINITELY!

36%
Most Likely

21%
Not Sure

7%
Probably not

21%
Definitely NOT!

14%
[OP]
Dec 17, 2020
17 posts
1 upvote

Letter after phone call from Service canada is a scam?

Hello all,

I ended my job with cause (used last resort of quitting after all other options were exhausted) on Oct 15.
Shortly after, I applied for Employment Insurance as well as sending by mail a detailed explanation of my job situation. Then in mid November (after receiving final vacation pay from the job) I see in my service canada account that my application was reviewed and on the 25th, they made a decision and that I'm approved for benefits. I followed all guidelines, and I recently received pay from EI.

Now this is where the issue begins:

About a week ago from today, I received a phone call from a person named Pascal asking me to call a private Toronto Ontario number. When I researched the number, it belonged to a cell phone run by Bell Canada. I already predict fishy-ness because its very rare at best that the government initiates things by phone before paper unless they are asked to call. At that point, I used the government's e-services to request a call. They didn't get back. Probably because I didn't complete the form (because I didn't know what the call was about).

Fast forward to today.....

I received a letter in my mail that came from a Service Canada envelope. When I opened it, the header showed a case number with "Protected A" above it, and its source address is:

Integrity Services - Services d'integrite
INTEGRITY 3178014
PO BOX 201
NORTH YORK ON M3J 0J1

And it asks me to attend a phone interview for January 4th 2021 to talk to the same person (Pascal yachouh) to determine my entitlement to the benefits.

I believe this whole thing is an attempted scam for the following reasons:

1. The government of Canada website states that it is rare for the government to initiate an action by phone call first. Normally they contact people by mail.

2. I searched public government databases for the said person and phone number one at a time and no records were found.

3. Since the first attempted phone call from the said person, I made in a service request for a call back from an official agent using the online e-services about this matter and never got a call. Before this, I used the same service for other E.I. matters (before I got approved), and I did get a call back from a legitimate agent within a few days.

4. This letter suggests a re-evaluation of my E.I eligibility when it has already been determined a few weeks ago that I am eligible for E.I, and nothing about money or job status has changed since the day I quit (october 15).

5. The only phone number offered that I could use to respond to the person is a long distance private cell phone number in Toronto (I'm not located in the GTA). I determined this based on phone number research. It did not provide me with a 1-800 or 1-888 number (or the like) to call. Also, when I attempted to call the number, I get 5 rings and a voicemail from a person claiming to be from Service Canada. Normally when I call a government body, I get an automated system at first that introduces me to what I am calling with options I can choose by pressing the corresponding number on my phone.

6. I attempted to locate information about the said source of the letter "Integrity Services" and all I could find that the government labeled it as a branch to "service canada". Additionally, the address also includes a P.O. Box Number. Google Maps has no information on such a place.

7. The letter addressing and page format is odd. I'm addressed as "Madam, Sir:" instead of "Dear Michael," and the bottom of the first page is "Page 1 of 2", the reverse of the first page is "Page 2 of 2" which reads:

Yours sincerely,

Integrity Services
Service Canada
647-376-6924

The second page at the bottom is labelled "Page 1 of 1" and nothing is on the back of it.

Anyways, I am showing everyone the letter and I have blacked out my personal information (name and address and case number).
letter.jpg
What do you guys think? Is this person Pascal Yachouh legitimate? and is the phone number 647-376-6924 valid for Service Canada?

I also contacted 1-800-o-canada twice about the matter and both times they suggested that I should file a report with the anti-fraud center which I did both times online. One of the agents thought the number itself was fishy because its a long-distance private number.

I also checked my EI records online and I am still able to fill out my E.I. reports and my service canada account shows I'm still eligible for EI.

I also did put in another request for a call back from another Service Canada employee via online again so I can determine if this person is being fraudulent or not, but maybe if someone else here has a similar experience, they can tell me beforehand if this person attempted to commit fraud or not.

So what do you guys think? Should I safely assume this letter and the person listed in it is 100% fraud? or should I continue to worry that my EI will be cut-off until an official EI agent calls me back?
38 replies
Jul 29, 2013
46 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
Appears pretty fraudulent based on your explanation, but the worrying part is the fact they have your name, phone number and address which is of more concern outside of the apparent fraud attempt.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1383 posts
1217 upvotes
Did you notice the letter says Emergency Response Benefit?

Did you ever apply for CERB? If you did it should have said Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

Looks fake to me given they said Emergency Response Benefit and the phone number.

Call that guy with a blocked number and make up a name and see if he pretends he knows who this made up name is. Play along with fake info to catch him in the act.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2020
17 posts
1 upvote
ProductGuy wrote: Did you notice the letter says Emergency Response Benefit?
I should have factored that. The benefit now is CRB which is "Canada Response Benefit".
ProductGuy wrote: Did you ever apply for CERB? If you did it should have said Canada Emergency Response Benefit.
Yes but my CERB maxed out and didn't automatically transition to EI but that ended back in September.
ProductGuy wrote: Looks fake to me given they said Emergency Response Benefit and the phone number.

Call that guy with a blocked number and make up a name and see if he pretends he knows who this made up name is. Play along with fake info to catch him in the act.
Sadly the phone number is long distance and I just briefly called the person to inform them that I'm waiting for a call from a real agent (which I am as a result of filling out an online service request). The real agent will then know the confirmation number that I get when I finish the online request.
Jul 18, 2007
183 posts
232 upvotes
Markham
mik3ca wrote: Sadly the phone number is long distance and I just briefly called the person to inform them that I'm waiting for a call from a real agent (which I am as a result of filling out an online service request). The real agent will then know the confirmation number that I get when I finish the online request.
not sure why you'd do that
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1383 posts
1217 upvotes
mik3ca wrote: I should have factored that. The benefit now is CRB which is "Canada Response Benefit".

Yes but my CERB maxed out and didn't automatically transition to EI but that ended back in September.

Sadly the phone number is long distance and I just briefly called the person to inform them that I'm waiting for a call from a real agent (which I am as a result of filling out an online service request). The real agent will then know the confirmation number that I get when I finish the online request.
CRB actually stand for Canada Recovery Benefit and not Response. Anyways sounds fishy as hell!
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1972 posts
1970 upvotes
GTA
Many Service Canada workers are working from home using their own cell phones. I think the letter is legit based on the circumstances you described. You received a letter because they didn't receive your returned phone call. During these times they can call first to reduce the amount you may have to pay back.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3224 posts
3231 upvotes
GTA
NickL645 wrote: Appears pretty fraudulent based on your explanation, but the worrying part is the fact they have your name, phone number and address which is of more concern outside of the apparent fraud attempt.
Why is this worrying? That information isn't really private, it was in phone books for anyone to access for decades.
Nov 28, 2020
5 posts
It seems possibly legitimate. Why are you so scared? Call the guy and ask for government ID and see what he says. Until you are satisfied he is who he claims, don't provide personal information. Or just speak to a Service Canada agent and find out if you are being investigated for CERB misuse and who the investigating officer is. Proverbs 28:1 – “The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.”
[OP]
Dec 17, 2020
17 posts
1 upvote
DavidG16673 wrote: It seems possibly legitimate. Why are you so scared?
Because if this letter is legit there's a chance I will make no further income.
DavidG16673 wrote: Call the guy and ask for government ID and see what he says.
Every phone call attempt has directed me to voicemail.
DavidG16673 wrote: Or just speak to a Service Canada agent and find out if you are being investigated for CERB misuse and who the investigating officer is.
I can't see me misusing CERB or I should have been contacted a while ago. In fact, since CERB ended, they evaluated my new EI application before approving it. If I owed money, wouldn't my EI benefits be suspended instead of approved? and wouldn't I get a nastier letter?

And It is twice in 2 weeks I made an attempt to speak to a real service canada agent. I just filled in a request for one as soon as I received the letter so hopefully one of them would come back to me with an answer this time around by tuesday.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1383 posts
1217 upvotes
mik3ca wrote: Because if this letter is legit there's a chance I will make no further income.

Every phone call attempt has directed me to voicemail.

I can't see me misusing CERB or I should have been contacted a while ago. In fact, since CERB ended, they evaluated my new EI application before approving it. If I owed money, wouldn't my EI benefits be suspended instead of approved? and wouldn't I get a nastier letter?

And It is twice in 2 weeks I made an attempt to speak to a real service canada agent. I just filled in a request for one as soon as I received the letter so hopefully one of them would come back to me with an answer this time around by tuesday.
They are not even using the correct name of the CERB or the CRB in the letter. Looks fake to me!
Nov 28, 2020
5 posts
It could be a scam, I don't really know. Prolly you are safe to ignore it. Keep trying to reach ServiceCanada tho
[OP]
Dec 17, 2020
17 posts
1 upvote
another thing I found odd is that in the letter I wasn't told where to mail the responses to and I didn't even receive an envelope inside the envelope I received the letter in.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6554 posts
2242 upvotes
Vancouver
Not receiving an envelope is ok. I had one of these letters and they just wanted to confirm what I put on my t4 was correct as they was some missing info. During the call, the person identified himself, knew all my info, including my tax information. A personal number was from another province where the agent resided! That was a few years ago.

This letter is likely to be real and they are investigating you. 'You are likely to know in the back of your mind what mentioned in the letter and during the call to be true.
I have reason to believe you are not telling the whole story. A lot of incomplete info including what you said, what was said to you, how they identified themselves, how you identified, what they knew. These are basics they would also want to know in order to establish they speak with a correct person.
In any case, you are under investigation and I don't suggest you ignore it. If you are not trusting the person, reach out to them by mail or phone. The agent or the person you are dealing with should be able to satisfy his/her credentials and the given issues and even help you call another number, if needed. This is why I am puzzled as to whether you provided all the info or choosing what to provide to us and what to hide.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Sep 3, 2019
800 posts
560 upvotes
GTA
Integrity Services is a legitimate department within Service Canada:
https://www.canada.ca/en/news/archive/2 ... ranch.html

Here are some people who work as Integrity Services Investigators:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kaitlyn-luk ... bdomain=ca
*there is no linkedin profile for Pascal Yachouh

Here's a pdf with the address matching the one in the letter. Click on "OAS/CPP Foreign Beneficiaries Pension Declaration Form" in Microsoft Edge (Firefox won't work for sure) > Scroll to final page to match PO Box address
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... CAw&uact=5

The M3J ?J? postal code prefix can be found along Flint Road, but it's a light/medium industrial area, so that doesn't make much sense unless it's meant to be nondescript.
Images
  • Capture3 (2).JPG
[OP]
Dec 17, 2020
17 posts
1 upvote
dazz wrote: This letter is likely to be real and they are investigating you.
It's possible that 199,999 other people are being investigated as well.
dazz wrote: what you said, what was said to you, ...how they identified themselves, how you identified, what they knew. ..
The whole thing started with a phone call from what sounded like a female who named herself Pascal and who claims she works for Service Canada. I returned the call, got voicemail and left a message. Later that day, she left another voicemail for me and asked me to call her as soon as possible. Neither message explained the basic reason of the call. I'm not asking people to leave personal information on voicemail, just the basic nature of the call.
dazz wrote: These are basics they would also want to know in order to establish they speak with a correct person.
And this is what I'm trying to understand.... whether or not I'm dealing with a real agent. That's why I started this post. Yes I did read in the news that many people are under investigation and/or returned their benefits back to the government, but at the same time there is also news about things being hacked. In fact, one employee I talked to with Service Canada indicated that their systems were hacked earlier this year (back in July I think). So it is difficult to believe one side over another on this issue.
dazz wrote: In any case, you are under investigation and I don't suggest you ignore it....
I'm already making this as an assumption
dazz wrote: If you are not trusting the person, reach out to them by mail or phone.
I have attempted to reach them twice by the request e-service feature on Service Canada, and I just mailed them a letter via canada post the same day I received the paper of which most of it is public here.
dazz wrote: The agent or the person you are dealing with should be able to satisfy his/her credentials and the given issues and even help you call another number...
That's exactly why I use the e-service.
URL is: https://eservices.canada.ca/en/service/

By filling out the online form, I will be given a correct confirmation number and within 2 days (and I hope they respond this time) they should call me back and provide me with the correct number. If for any reason they cannot provide a correct number or refer me to someone that can provide me with the correct number then the caller representing Service Canada is likely a scammer.
dazz wrote: This is why I am puzzled as to whether you provided all the info or choosing what to provide to us and what to hide.
The information I have hidden is my full name, address, city, province, and postal code. I'm not sure how I would get a better response if I provided the case number.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2020
17 posts
1 upvote
QuicKi7 wrote: Integrity Services is a legitimate department within Service Canada:
https://www.canada.ca/en/news/archive/2 ... ranch.html
I think I read that link.
QuicKi7 wrote: Here are some people who work as Integrity Services Investigators:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kaitlyn-luk ... bdomain=ca
*there is no linkedin profile for Pascal Yachouh
I wonder if there's another database to search for Pascal. I checked the government employee database and did not find her there.
QuicKi7 wrote: Here's a pdf with the address matching the one in the letter. Click on "OAS/CPP Foreign Beneficiaries Pension Declaration Form" in Microsoft Edge (Firefox won't work for sure) > Scroll to final page to match PO Box address
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... CAw&uact=5

The M3J ?J? postal code prefix can be found along Flint Road, but it's a light/medium industrial area, so that doesn't make much sense unless it's meant to be nondescript.
I think I should talk to the integrity services branch directly and see what is going on. Sadly today is a non-government-workday (saturday).
[OP]
Dec 17, 2020
17 posts
1 upvote
I called the 1-800-277-9914 number now that someone attached as an image here for the integrity branch and I get an automated thing that I'm welcomed to the canada pension plan and old age security with the option to press a number for english or french. I heard nothing about Service Canada or Integrity Branch from that phone number.
Sep 3, 2019
800 posts
560 upvotes
GTA
A woman by that name graduated from York U in 2009 so if she sounded like she's in her 30s, it's more reason to believe it's real.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2020
17 posts
1 upvote
QuicKi7 wrote: A woman by that name graduated from York U in 2009 so if she sounded like she's in her 30s, it's more reason to believe it's real.
How did you find that out?