Letter from RCA, possible scam?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2017 11:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 9, 2017
1 posts

Letter from RCA, possible scam?

Hello everybody, so I got this letter from RCA that looked legit to me at the beginning, but I'm starting to get suspicious.
They are asking about my entry to Canada about the 2015 return, asking to send copy of work visa, visitor's records, passport, bills, "to confirm that I resided in Canada from January to December"
I paid taxes in Georgetown (ON) and the letter arrives from Sudbury Office, correct address but both number and fax are different than the one on the website, and the person who made the compliance, and who I should send the documents "S. Asselin" is impossible to find.
The phone numbers on the letter are 705-670-6162 866-760-3935 and fax 705-670-6831.
I need to know if I can trust or not.
9 replies
Jun 5, 2016
593 posts
786 upvotes
What is RCA? Call the numbers listed on their website and ask all these questions.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2014
1558 posts
1975 upvotes
Burlington, ON
hertz27 wrote: Hello everybody, so I got this letter from RCA that looked legit to me at the beginning, but I'm starting to get suspicious.
They are asking about my entry to Canada about the 2015 return, asking to send copy of work visa, visitor's records, passport, bills, "to confirm that I resided in Canada from January to December"
I paid taxes in Georgetown (ON) and the letter arrives from Sudbury Office, correct address but both number and fax are different than the one on the website, and the person who made the compliance, and who I should send the documents "S. Asselin" is impossible to find.
The phone numbers on the letter are 705-670-6162 866-760-3935 and fax 705-670-6831.
I need to know if I can trust or not.
I would call the CRA directly using the number on the CRA website, not the one on that letter and ask them if they sent it. From your description, it is hard to tell if this is legit or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2826 posts
1358 upvotes
OP means the CRA and seems like they want to determine whether to tax OP as resident or non-resident. OP, it would be best to call CRA directly and give them your details so they can pull up your file.
Loose lips sink ships. | Her Majesty's Naval Service
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2244 posts
1020 upvotes
Waterloo
If you reside in Georgetown, your Tax Center is likely Sudbury.

To confirm, you can call CRA at 1-800-959-8281 (general enquiries line) and ask them if your file is under review.
Or, if you have access to CRA My Account, a copy of the letter you received should also be sitting in your online account so you can confirm that it's legitimate.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1080 upvotes
You won't find an individual CRA employee like the one listed on the letter anywhere on the internet.

It sounds legit to me. Sudbury is the tax centre. If you are concerned call the general enquiries line.

Easiest way to tell a scam from something legit. A scam they are asking you for money. Something that is legit they won't (unless you actually owe them money lol). A legit letter, you will also be able to tell that they have information about you. For example they know you entered the country (or claimed to) in 2015.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1278 posts
255 upvotes
Montreal
Don't call the number on the letter. Call the number from CRA website and you'll know if it was legit.
Dec 6, 2016
203 posts
102 upvotes
Calgary, AB
CRA General enquiries will be able to verify all sent correspondence.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3138 posts
1748 upvotes
Toronto
I associate RCA with VHS tapes and tube tvs. The good old days...