• Jul 31st, 2020 12:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3715 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto

Lexus Dealership Loaner - Stone Chip Cracked Glass

Got a 2020 NX loaner from a Lexus dealership in the GTA while my RX is in for a warranty job

Got a stone chip today that cracked the windshield about 6 inches

Dealership never took my insurance info nor asked if I was using my own coverage or theirs

What happens upon return?

Anyone have any experience?
21 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31902 posts
18903 upvotes
Toronto
They have your credit card # , right? They have a choice then by doing a charge on it or they could be nice enough of not putting it through. I guess you will have to wait on how they intend to move forward.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7817 posts
6288 upvotes
Ottawa
In my experience, most dealerships will eat the cost of the repair as part of their cost of doing business. Plus this is clearly not at the hands of your neglect or abuse. I haven't had anything like this happen to me recently, though. Just do the decent thing and bring it to their attention when you return it and I'm sure you will be okay.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6725 posts
4291 upvotes
Toronto
I had exact same experience as you but when I arrive to work after 30min of picking up the loaner, I called the dealer/enterprise. I explained that we didn't check the windshield and they took note and I never got charged.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3715 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
1. They have my license info, no credit card info on the paper work (that I remember them taking anyways)
2. My credit card has rental insurance- will that work in this case if they try to charge me?
3. Who’s insurance comes into play here - theirs as a dealership or mine?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31902 posts
18903 upvotes
Toronto
thats pretty unusual that they did not ask for your credit card # andor uour insurance details.

If They don’t have any cc and insurance of yours, then you may be off the hook.

I always have to provide cc and dl and signing off on their paperwork that my insurance coverage will cover any damages on the loaner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3715 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Will double check my contract and post shortly
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3715 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Paperwork has my license and credit card info

Insurance section left blank
Jan 8, 2015
217 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'd imagine you'd have to pay for damages either out of pocket or via your insurance. It would be no different had the vehicle been damaged anywhere else on the body while you were driving it and repairs were needed. If this car has rain sensors, the replacement windshield could be in the $1000's.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Does your credit car has insurance for rental?

In this case, either your claim your credit card insurance (if you have coverage there), or claim your own insurance and you pay the comprehensive deductible,

or like someone said, the dealership suck the cost since they didn't run a per-inspection before customer drive out the lot.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1167 posts
1542 upvotes
Calgary
It would be nice if they would eat the cost but in my experience every service loaner I have used in the past, they clearly disclosed that if there was damage to the loaner I have two options
A - used the dealerships insurance but I would be responsible for the deductible ~$3000
B - use my personal auto policy

As for your credit card auto insurance, I don’t think it would apply unless the dealership charges you a daily fee like car rental agencies.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31902 posts
18903 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure about Lexus loaner setup, some dealers loaner services are run by enterprise car rental these days and their business model is still run independently to the dealership. They do chargeback to dealership or the manufacturer brand head office.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6398 posts
6822 upvotes
Toronto
Don't forget that CC insurance may not cover it if out-the-door MSRP of the loaner vehicle is over the card's coverage clip level (C$50G, $65G, $85G are common levels; not sure a new NX MSRP is.) This applies if your loaner was considered a "rental" as per CC definitions -- depends on how the particular dealership runs things.

This exclusion usually applies to payout of ANY coverage (ie it is not a cap on payable benefits.)
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3715 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Picture of crack
Images
  • 3192BBF1-E11A-4FC8-80B6-02E35AE0C0FC.jpeg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3715 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Here is the agreement

Top right has my name, address, license #, cc # (that I cut out)

Insurance info was left blank, nor did they ask for it
Images
  • 17FABBEA-3761-43FC-9EEE-DA212BFD3EA8.jpeg
  • 65951F44-EEEA-4A67-8553-066F7E8DC558.jpeg
  • C3E62EF9-A2D7-4B0A-A203-A53A56B61473.jpeg
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4481 posts
1505 upvotes
Mississauga
I think you'll just need to ask the dealership how this is handled. Right now every answer in the thread could be the correct one.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50003 posts
14050 upvotes
ONTARIO
CaptSmethwick wrote: In my experience, most dealerships will eat the cost of the repair as part of their cost of doing business. Plus this is clearly not at the hands of your neglect or abuse. I haven't had anything like this happen to me recently, though. Just do the decent thing and bring it to their attention when you return it and I'm sure you will be okay.
Unless

Buddy : hey buddy! I bet you can’t catch this bowling ball

OP : LOL!!! Screw you i bet i can!

Buddy : here it goes !! Whoop

OP : ... i probably should have saw that coming...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31902 posts
18903 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty well all or most loaners do have some kinds of damages to them. I had driven one that had cracked windshield, cracked bumper and interior scratches on leather seats. I was told by the rental guy that they will wait until somewhere down the road (weeks or months later) and fix everything all at once. That could mean they could do a credit card chargeback until then or not
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3715 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
Will update group upon return on how it plays out

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)