Wheels and Tires

Lexus RX - Tapping Sound from Rear (2016/2017/2018/2019) - Does Yours Do This?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2019 12:49 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5562 posts
619 upvotes

Lexus RX - Tapping Sound from Rear (2016/2017/2018/2019) - Does Yours Do This?

Have read some reports about this on ClubLexus forums, but it seems like nobody has had it fixed.

If you have a 2016 to 2019 Lexus RX, try the following:

1. Fill up the gas tank until tank is full (until the lever on the handle automatically pops).

2. Put your Rx into Drive mode and stop it on a slight upward incline. Leave car in Drive mode, but keep the car stopped by keeping your foot on the brake. (This must be done when the gas tank is still 100% full.)

3. Do you hear a dull tapping/helicoptering sound from the rear of the Rx?

From what I've read, this is due to an issue with the fuel tank or its associated apparatus and might be more common than we think. I have yet to see a report of a fix yet though.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5034 posts
4113 upvotes
Arrow wrote: Have read some reports about this on ClubLexus forums, but it seems like nobody has had it fixed.

If you have a 2016 to 2019 Lexus RX, try the following:

1. Fill up the gas tank until tank is full (until the lever on the handle automatically pops).

2. Put your Rx into Drive mode and stop it on a slight upward incline. Leave car in Drive mode, but keep the car stopped by keeping your foot on the brake. (This must be done when the gas tank is still 100% full.)

3. Do you hear a dull tapping/helicoptering sound from the rear of the Rx?

From what I've read, this is due to an issue with the fuel tank or its associated apparatus and might be more common than we think. I have yet to see a report of a fix yet though.
Probably from overfilling the gas tank and then the gas gauge inside the tank floats too high due to overfilling and the incline angle leads to gauge hitting inside of tank

This is pretty common for a lot of cars. Don't overfill the tank if you don't want to hear the ticking until the fuel level drops to the max level
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5562 posts
619 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Probably from overfilling the gas tank and then the gas gauge inside the tank floats too high due to overfilling and the incline angle leads to gauge hitting inside of tank

This is pretty common for a lot of cars. Don't overfill the tank if you don't want to hear the ticking until the fuel level drops to the max level
Never overfilled the tank - only filled until the lever pops automatically. Never experienced this on any other vehicle within the family. Maybe the Lexus RX is just more prone to this...?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5034 posts
4113 upvotes
Arrow wrote: Never overfilled the tank - only filled until the lever pops automatically. Never experienced this on any other vehicle within the family. Maybe the Lexus RX is just more prone to this...?
Experienced it in a VW and SO's Mazda as well and other brands that I've read about

Does it happen when you ease off the handle of the pump when it's nearly full? I'm thinking the auto stop from the tank isn't soon enough leading to overfilling
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5562 posts
619 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Experienced it in a VW and SO's Mazda as well and other brands that I've read about

Does it happen when you ease off the handle of the pump when it's nearly full? I'm thinking the auto stop from the tank isn't soon enough leading to overfilling
Haven't tried that, but will do so next time.
Didn't realize this was a common issue, as I've never personally seen it happen with any other vehicle in the past.
Oct 16, 2018
162 posts
79 upvotes
I've had my 2019f sport shut off on me multiple times when I'm reversing and then clicking it in drive. It happens when I lm rolling back in reverse then click to drive while rolling. I do it all the time with olders cars but it doesn't shut off. Anyon else dield this?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21675 upvotes
Center of Universe
Lookingfordeals911 wrote: I've had my 2019f sport shut off on me multiple times when I'm reversing and then clicking it in drive. It happens when I lm rolling back in reverse then click to drive while rolling. I do it all the time with olders cars but it doesn't shut off. Anyon else dield this?
Nothing like that ever happened with our 2018 F Sport.
We've previously owned MY2015 and MY2011 and they were problem free.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4025 posts
2444 upvotes
Ontario
Don't overfill the tank (top up) as this can damage filter and cause EVAP error codes

Also when filling keep gas station gun upright. Don't be tempted to put it on its side so you can fill with pump on wrong side of car (Costco line ups!). Cut off will not work unless gun is right way up.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5562 posts
619 upvotes
So apparently Lexus USA has a Technical Service Bulletin about this and they've recognized this as an issue. Again, this occurs when the full tank is just full (not overfilled).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/ ... 9-9999.pdf

I'm not sure if Lexus Canada has a similar service bulletin, but will check with them tomorrow.