• May 31st, 2021 10:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 22, 2004
566 posts
350 upvotes
London, ON

LF: 65" TV

I had an 65" C8 LG OLED from Costco that developed a stuck pixel. Costco warranty was great and will be refunding me the original purchase price + tax. I will wait until the new C1s come down to what I originally paid ($3k), I'm hoping in November.

In the mean time, I want a 65" TV that I can later move to another location in the house. This can be a "mid-grade" TV, as it won't get as much usage. I'd like full array. I've been looking at the Hisense models (Q7, Q8), but wondering if anyone knows of any deals.

Costco has the Q7, but that looks to be a 2019 model. Visions has the Q8 on clearance, but none available in Ontario. Q9 is getting a bit high on the budget @ $1300 vs $900 for the Q7. Not sure if there are any "real world" differences. Visions sales guy suggested the Hisense 65U68G, at $1078.

Sadly, seems like Visio is no longer in the TV game? Not sure I would want to risk refurbished.

PS: I've been looking at rtings.com a lot, but the Hisense models are hard to find. Are there different model numbers in Canada or something?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Why Hisense? I stopped listening to Sales Guy's a long time ago. So much research online with reviews and forums to see what the best bang for the buck is. Not sure it's so cut and dry anymore, doubt you'll get a terrible TV even when buying an entry level TV. It's all on how much you are willing to spend.

A lot of LG and Samsung TV's in the 800-1000 range in 65".

This is a newer 2020 model and is on sale, $999. I've looked at the Nanocell picture quality and have been impressed. Best Buy is pretty weird, most of their stock is Open Box or Refurb, I wouldn't buy unless it was brand new and could pick it up myself. I had a 65" TV fit in my 4dr Wrangler, box and all. I did lie it diagonally a bit. I've read that TV's take a real beating when you have them shipped.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... y/14519597
[OP]
Mar 22, 2004
566 posts
350 upvotes
London, ON
I have had two hisense TVs, and both have been excellent for the money. I'm thinking their mid level offerings would be even better value. I checked out the LG unit you mentioned, and it got beat pretty handidly by a mid-range hisense H8F, costing less.

I think the top end LG/Samsung stuff is good, and I'm waiting for a reasonable price on the C1 but the lower end stuff doesn't really compete.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1832 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ncnmra wrote: I have had two hisense TVs, and both have been excellent for the money. I'm thinking their mid level offerings would be even better value. I checked out the LG unit you mentioned, and it got beat pretty handidly by a mid-range hisense H8F, costing less.

I think the top end LG/Samsung stuff is good, and I'm waiting for a reasonable price on the C1 but the lower end stuff doesn't really compete.
If you are set on a certain TV that's not in stock, will you wait or will you buy something else?

I don't see good reviews for Hisense TV's, but it's your money... I bought an LG as a dining room TV and it's been awesome.

"Mid Grade" and "Not much usage", so why nitpick so much? No midrange stuff will compete with top end TV's.