Request-A-Deal

LF: Baby stroller/travel system, crib mattress?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 4:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3133 posts
681 upvotes

LF: Baby stroller/travel system, crib mattress?

We're trying to string everything together before chaos ensues, so any help would be appreciated :)

After playing with a bunch of strollers in-store, wife likes the Graco "Modes" line of travel strollers, but of course, also loves the significantly more expensive Uppababy lineup. We also bought an Ikea "Sniglar" crib but didn't really like the mattresses offered (too thin, not very firm?). Well-rated mattresses that fit seem to go well into the $300+ range (thanks mysterious Canadian markup).

I've already been trawling the web, but other than waiting for sales or buying used, does anyone have a hot tip for either of these items?
3 replies
Feb 26, 2020
72 posts
174 upvotes
TDot
I'm in the same boat!

Based on some research we're leaning towards the Mockingbird single to double stroller.

Pros:
-looks and (apparently) feels like the Uppababy, tons of storage, looks awesome, can add 2nd baby seat, has good accessories, reasonable price for what you're getting

Cons:
-resale value might be low since it's a new brand, can't try it before you buy it because it's an online only brand, have to have it shipped to the US first and forwarded here or pickup across the border when border reopens.

You'd also need a separate car seat. The safest budget car seat right now (based on consumer reports rankings) is the Evenflo Litemax DLX. It has a load leg on the base which is a feature that only a few of the more expensive chairs currently have in Canada. It's about $250 CAD or $120-160 USD on Amazon. Mysterious Canadian markup strikes again.

Costco also has a great deal on a highly rated car seat right now, it's the Graco Snuglock Snugride 35 with extra car seat base. Regular $300, down to $240. Website shows when the sale ends.

When we tried out the graco modes, evenflo pivot and bravo trio we found all of them to be really low quality, "plasticy" strollers. Our friend who has the chicco bravo said it's good enough but when I tried it, it felt like the entire thing was shaking and wobbly and quite difficult to push on grass and in the park, so I decided to avoid it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3133 posts
681 upvotes
Thanks for sharing! The Mockingbird does look nicer, just not entirely sure about performance, especially since there is no Canadian operations. I wonder if they'd cover warranty issues if they knew it was coming over the border?

In addition to the car seat, it looks like a relatively inexpensive adapter is needed as well (~$35?). Not a bad choice, I guess I better dive down that rabbit hole too.
Feb 26, 2020
72 posts
174 upvotes
TDot
If you end up getting the mocking bird I would probably just order it to be delivered to cross border pickups and let them bring it over for you and just pick up from one of their locations.

Honestly not sure about warranty. I would just buy it on a good credit card with extended warranty to cover yourself.

Good luck!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)