• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2006 12:05 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 24, 2003
186 posts
22 upvotes

LF: Cheap US online stores for digicams

I've got an Amerifriend who can bring stuff over to me, so given the great value of our dollar I'm looking for a good US store to purchase digital cameras from. Looking at getting a Nikon D50 or Canon Rebel XT, even better if one of these stores is having a sale. I'll go through froogle.com but if anyone has personally bought from store XYZ it would give me more reliable places to purchase from.

Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Ritz Camera (also trade under Wolf Camera) is a very reputable company that has online and B&M good prices - not necessarily the best but always verrry close and much more "trustable" than some of the "no name" dealers who may be selling gray market, may have delivery issues etc.

I got my Minolta 5D (with 18/70 lens) from Ritz for $649US a few months ago. I think one other site I'd never heard of had it for $639US. Highly recommend them

ps check Fatwallet or a US camera forum for better opinions.
Apr 5, 2006
393 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa
http://www.bhphoto.com - It's a very large and reputable camera retailer. I've ordered from there in the past.

http://www.adorama.com - I hear it's pretty good as well. I haven't ordered from them personally though.

Try converting the amount to Canadian funds and calling up someone like http://www.cameracanada.com . I've heard that they sometimes match the converted US price if you give them a call.
Aug 24, 2003
186 posts
22 upvotes
Your help is much appreciated, I will look into the sites you gave me! I was worried I would have to buy from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=17]Amazon[/rfdlink], which isn't always cheap, or risk a store from froogle.com.
Sep 14, 2003
723 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
I used onecall.com for my 70-200 f2.8L, and it shipped to my Amerifriend in 4 days. It's a lesser known name, but I looked them up on resellerratings.com and they have a good rep. I'm definately going to use them again. The salespeople on the phone were NOT pushy at all. This place is the best compromise between discount/service and reputation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Yes Onecall is a very reputable dealer. They are based out of Spokane (trade B&M under another name). They were actually one of the first companies into internet sales. I remember buying satellite stuff from them in the early 90's

For reference they also ship to Canada with little hassle
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton
Just be aware that the Nikon from the US will come with one year warranty (return to US if you need service) wereas it comes with two years if you buy in Canada. I would also try www.downtowncamera.ca and www.thecamerastore.com for Canadian dealers who often have good pricing (the latter is in Alberta so no PST). www.simonscameras.ca are in Montreal - they also have good pricing on occasions - all 3 are fairly reputable dealers.
Aug 24, 2003
186 posts
22 upvotes
dgs wrote:Just be aware that the Nikon from the US will come with one year warranty (return to US if you need service) wereas it comes with two years if you buy in Canada.
Thanks for the warning, I JUST found a thread debating the Nikon D70 and Canon 350D/Rebel XT and heard some horror stories about Canon's customer service and Nikon's reluctance to service US bought cameras. Conversely there are ppl at work who have had no problems with Canon CS.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2002
1960 posts
147 upvotes
Victoria
corkboard wrote:Thanks for the warning, I JUST found a thread debating the Nikon D70 and Canon 350D/Rebel XT and heard some horror stories about Canon's customer service and Nikon's reluctance to service US bought cameras. Conversely there are ppl at work who have had no problems with Canon CS.
Any updates on where you ended up purchasing your XT and for how much?
Aug 24, 2003
186 posts
22 upvotes
I haven't purchased it yet, there were a lot of tempting deals including the Ritz Camera one ($550 US for the Nikon D50, Quantaray crap lens, $50 gift cert towards next purchase)

I guess I'm still waiting for [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=384]Dell.com[/rfdlink] to bring this camera back, if it ever does, because the last time they had a special it was < $550 for the d50 + 18-55mm kit lens, which is spectacular in my opinion

[rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=384]Dell.com[/rfdlink] recently had the rebel xt on special, something along the lines of $719.99 US including a lens, and there was still the $100 US rebate you could apply for.

Either way I'd stick to bhphoto or adorama, I simply wouldn't screw around with the lowest price if my camera is shady. I want to purchase with some sort of security/peace of mind too!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)