None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1185 posts
27 upvotes
North Vancouver

LF - Chinese Peach Buns - shou bao (壽包) in Vancouver

Can anyone suggest a place to buy these in Vancouver other than T&T? I find their bakery products really dodgy:

http://tinyurl.com/b4s4ve

A few people have suggested ordering through a restaurant, but I'm not sure who makes them and who makes spectacular ones. I'd consider making them ourselves, but I want them to look good and shaping/colouring looks tough.

Thanks,
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3533 posts
272 upvotes
Richmond
Sun Sui Wah makes really good ones. They're fresh and steam comes rushing out when you break them apart.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1185 posts
27 upvotes
North Vancouver
M@rk wrote: Sun Sui Wah makes really good ones. They're fresh and steam comes rushing out when you break them apart.
Thanks - I got a reservation there based on your tip and it was on my shortlist any way. The are on their birthday menu, but the hostess said the ones they serve are quite small.

$498 for their set-menu dinner (for 10) which all look like pretty standard items. Is there another restaurant suggestion or bakery suggestion for these buns or dinner?
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2005
1070 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
these are usually special order items at the bakery. call up maxims or pine house and they should be able to whip some up for you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1185 posts
27 upvotes
North Vancouver
lonelydriver wrote: these are usually special order items at the bakery. call up maxims or pine house and they should be able to whip some up for you.
Thanks, I didn't think of those places because they don't seem to sell steam "bao" - I know New Town on Pender does and was going to check them out tomorrow - I'll try Pine House & Maxims too.
Deal Expert
Jun 11, 2007
15769 posts
1682 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Nice to know. I will try it sometimes too.
Prize Won:
(2015-2016) Nothing big/Small...
(2014) Huawei Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker