Food & Drink

LF: Dim Sum GTA West (Mississauga/Oakville)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2008 12:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21088 posts
5749 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

LF: Dim Sum GTA West (Mississauga/Oakville)

So it's been a while since this topic has been refereshed.

I want to know where to find the good Dim Sum in GTA West / Mississauga / Oakville / Brampton / etc. I'm also specifically looking for places that serve in the afternoon.

Old Threads
Cheap DimSum in Mississauga/Brampton Area (May 2007)
LF: Dim Sum in Mississauga/Oakville (May 2006)

Previous recommendations (which I'm hoping to get new comments on) are:
Summit Garden (Winston Churchill & Dundas), carts
Perfect Kitchen (Dundas & Ridgeway), order
Emerald Palace (Hurontario & Eglinton), carts
Sam Woo (Mavis & Eglinton), order
Happy Garden (Eglinton & Creditview)
Sun Sun formerly Good Luck (Dundas & Cawthra), carts
Sapphire Seafood
Tremendous

Thanks for any recommendation.
- casual gastronomist -
10 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10140 posts
1397 upvotes
Mississauga
Tremendous then top off your day with BR (Bubble Republic)
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 37-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12221 posts
148 upvotes
dont go to Horrendous.

Its only popular for it's late hours, and the drunk clientele who can't taste anything.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
78 upvotes
I like Summit Garden... it's okay and has been consistent for the 10 years its been open. Probably I like it even more because my family has a 15% discount card. They have a nice selection of dim sum too, and with the cart you can have a look at some of things you may not know. Biggest problem here is the rice noodle (cheong fun) is never hot enough and I avoid it.

Perfect Kitchen is really good for dim sum too... but the portion is rather skimpy compared to Summit Garden. It's also more expensive than Summit Garden, but IMO it's a bit higher in quality and the seating is more comfortable. Instead of pushing the cart out, they take your order on paper which can lead to missing items and inability to have a look at new things. Also no discount card for us. However their dinner is terrible IMO.

Avoid Emerald Palace... the place hasn't been renovated since the early 90s and the food was pretty bad and the prices were the same if not more than SG. Last visit was a year ago though. Same with Sam Woo, it used to be my family's favourite place for years until about 2003 when they really went downhill.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21088 posts
5749 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Does Summit Garden do all day dim sum, or is it just in the mornings?
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
78 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Does Summit Garden do all day dim sum, or is it just in the mornings?
They do it from about 9:30 am-3 or 4pm... I'm not 100% sure as I've only been there in the morning. In the evenings they do dinner.

I've never ran into a Chinese restaurant that served dim sum all day except Lai Toh Heen in Toronto... I'm assuming you mean they serve until the evening?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2006
2941 posts
50 upvotes
Sapphire has closed down a while ago and replaced by Congee Dynasty. They don't carry all traditional dim sum fare, and they go by ordering. You can get a pretty good meal for 4-5 people for around $35 depending how much you eat.

Tremendous - avoid; it's garbage, but they do have dim sum all day.

My vote goes to Summit Garden (owner is a family friend so I get 30% off :cheesygri ). Food is pretty consistent but sometime the food can be cold if it's on the cart too long.

I also went to high school with the son and daughter of the owner of Perfect Kitchen. Haven't gone there in a while, but I remember the food tasting pretty good, albeit a little more expensive.

10 years ago, I would've suggested Emerald, but as another poster said, they haven't updated the decor in a long time. The place also doesn't seem very clean either. Though this doesn't really detract people from going as it's always packed during weekend lunchtime.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21088 posts
5749 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
tng11 wrote: They do it from about 9:30 am-3 or 4pm... I'm not 100% sure as I've only been there in the morning. In the evenings they do dinner.

I've never ran into a Chinese restaurant that served dim sum all day except Lai Toh Heen in Toronto... I'm assuming you mean they serve until the evening?
Yeah I was wondering if it went until at least dinner time. This is because some of my family are night owls and don't get out of bed until late in the afternoon.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
78 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Yeah I was wondering if it went until at least dinner time. This is because some of my family are night owls and don't get out of bed until late in the afternoon.
Hmm... That's not a good thing for dim sum.

Personally, I would avoid having dim sum too late in the day knowing Chinese restaurants. The stuff you get late probably wouldn't be very fresh as they're giving you whatever leftovers there are from the afternoon. I know of some downtown all-day places but general comments from Chowhound have said the dim sum was cold or not fresh late in the day.

If you insist on all day dim sum- then my only recommendation can be Lai Toh Heen in midtown (Mt. Pleasant and Eglinton). It's pretty good with some "fusion" and modern ingredients, but it's also quite expensive. Decor's really nice and service is good too. I've had dim sum there late once and it was hot and fresh.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
3410 posts
43 upvotes
London
I go to Emerald Palace. Decent prices.
Jun 28, 2008
218 posts
5 upvotes
what about golden china? On central parkway, serves a pretty good roast duck and steamed fish for dinner

Dim sum prices are 1 price now $2.20 for weekends.
The dimsum wasn't as tasty as Sam Woo, but it was still enjoyable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)