None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2004
1415 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

LF: Good Dumpling places

Hi, can anyone recommend a good dumpling place to eat at in the scarborough area? markham and richmond hill is fine also. They have to specialize in dumplings.

thanx
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
Try making your own. That's the best. But if you have to go to restaurant, I like the one @ Steeles & Ferrier (1 blk west of Warden). Alternatively, you can buy frozen ones and cook it. Not as good as resturant but certainly the fastest.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1370 posts
3616 upvotes
Toronto
Here is one in Richmond Hill that I enjoy. Nothing special in terms of decoration but good Korean dumplings. This is a review from cbc.ca.

Man Doo Hyang
6068 Yonge St.
(Between Finch and Steeles Ave. on the west side)
Open from 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (closed Mondays)

The place specializes in mandoos which are the Korean equivalents to Chinese dumplings or Japanese Gyozas.

The dumplings here are completely made from scratch including the dumpling wrap. Young Sook Hong and her husband opened up this place four years ago but not before they put in some serious research time. her husband apprenticed in Seoul, then came to Canada and the whole family practiced and ate until they could make the perfect mandoo.

It's amazing value. A huge of plate of dumplings are six dollars. And the hotpot for two is $20. You usually get a free sample of tiny dumplings at the start of the meal. There are other things on the menu but go for the mandoos and go hungry. Be warned that you might have to roll yourself out of the restaurant at the end of your meal.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4586 posts
1728 upvotes
Markham
3 6 9 at peachtree plaza at Kennedy and highway 7 (has best pan fried dumplings and onion pancakes imo)

There's one near midland and steeles just beside No frills, little on the pricier side but almost as good at 3 6 9. Avoid the shanghai place across from it which is in front of starwalk buffet, it sucked and overpriced

Dumpling king at Midland and Finch. They open late until 4am, I'd say decent but avoid their onion pancake.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3783 posts
181 upvotes
Markham
^ a Dumpling King opened at fmp just last week. Went there on the weekend and service was really slow but probably just because they're new. Tastes the same as the one on midland.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1161 posts
20 upvotes
North Vancouver
i guess everyone is assuming that you are looking for dumplings that are dough wrapped meat and not balls of dough in soup or stew?