• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 9:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9690 posts
1145 upvotes

LF the largest MDF board for DIY Ping Pong Table Top

I wonder if there is any MDF board in the market that are larger than 4' x 8'. I am using it for the DIY Ping Pong table top. The official size for ping pong table is 5' x 9'. So, I will need two pieces of board with 5' x 4.5' (Note: Min thickness should be 5/8" or 15mm). I have checked both Lowes and Home Depot, they carry 4' x 8' only.

Thanks for any recommendations.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure most ping pong tables are not made out of MDF, feel free to state otherwise.

Anyways, I would probably just go with ply, you could get 2 pieces of 5x5 ply and call it a day.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11977 posts
7132 upvotes
Paris
My ping pong table is just chipboard with a smooth top surface. 5x5 ply is the answer. I don’t think MDF is stable across a size that big without a lot of support, plus its heavy.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1609 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You can get 5'x10' x 3/4" mdf. It will be pretty heavy, and you'd probably be best doing the table in 2 sections like most tables are.
Check lumber yards not box stores
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9690 posts
1145 upvotes
Thanks. I definitely will go with two pieces option for easy transportation and moving. I just didn't know they have 5 x 5 ply wood. By the way, for those who are using the plywood, how does the ping pong ball bounce on it ? I have been using the 5/8" MDF board, and it bounces like it is on a regular ping pong table.

Does anyone know how much roughly per 5x5 plywood is ? I still need to figure out how to transport the 5 x 5 board. I had to cut the 4 x 8 by half and shortened one inch on one side (48" x 47") in order to fit into my car...... I might need to rent the Home Depot van.......
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
rdx wrote: I just browsed through all MDF/Plywood items on the Home Depot and Lowes sites, but don't seem to find any 5' x 5' , everything is 4' x 8 ' .....

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... ood&page=4

https://www.lowes.ca/dept/plywood-lumbe ... ore%3Adesc
As someone else said, check lumber yards, not box stores. And you may actually have to talk to someone, if it's not something they carry in stock. You don't give a location, so it's hard for someone to give you an actual name to check with, though. Around here (Edmonton), I'd check with Windsor Plywood or TimberTown. Windsor Plywood, for example, carries 4x10 sheets:
https://www.windsorplywood.com/product/ ... f-premium/

C
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9690 posts
1145 upvotes
Location in Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: As someone else said, check lumber yards, not box stores. And you may actually have to talk to someone, if it's not something they carry in stock. You don't give a location, so it's hard for someone to give you an actual name to check with, though. Around here (Edmonton), I'd check with Windsor Plywood or TimberTown. Windsor Plywood, for example, carries 4x10 sheets:
https://www.windsorplywood.com/product/ ... f-premium/

C
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4841 posts
2098 upvotes
WFH
MDF is not only heavy but will sag under it's own weight without significant structure underneath to support it. A couple of trestles won't do. I'd suggest you look at plywood.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
dirtmover wrote: MDF is not only heavy but will sag under it's own weight without significant structure underneath to support it. A couple of trestles won't do. I'd suggest you look at plywood.
Pretty sure plywood will also sag over a 9' span if you don't support it. In either case, a simple pair of rails (2x4's, oriented vertically) running the long way should keep things from sagging.

To the OP, melamine might be another option.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2011
1150 posts
2027 upvotes
Toronto
5x5 plywood is usually available for the Baltic birch plywood and you can get it at almost every lumber yard.

I personally would just buy the 4x8 sheets and edge band 3” on each side to get that 4.5’. It is easier to get and you have the hardwood edging to protect the edges.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6261 posts
2900 upvotes
Durham
BUY THE TABLE.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)