• Dec 31st, 2004 3:07 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
467 posts
31 upvotes

LF: Place to play badminton in North York

I recently moved to North York (Yonge and Finch area). As a new year's resolution, I plan on getting a little active. I used to play badminton regularly many many years ago, so I am looking for a place to play recreationally. Can anyone recommend a place in the area and also specify:

1. What level of players
2. The condition of the gym/courts
3. How many courts
4. What days and times
5. If you consider it too busy of a place
6. Any costs
7. Any other sports that you have played at the location.

I used to play at Northview S.S. a long time ago. Anyone know if that club exists anymore?

Thanks.
9 replies
Apr 26, 2004
12 posts
check out edithvale community centre. one of my friends' mom plays there, loves it. i dont have much more info, i think it might be wednesday nights. i'll try and find out more about it.

btw, edithvale is on finch between yonge and finch, on the south side. used to be a school.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
467 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks. More info is appreciated. Btw. You said it was between yonge and finch and where?

paj wrote:check out edithvale community centre. one of my friends' mom plays there, loves it. i dont have much more info, i think it might be wednesday nights. i'll try and find out more about it.

btw, edithvale is on finch between yonge and finch, on the south side. used to be a school.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
467 posts
31 upvotes
No one in plays badminton in North York (Yonge/Finch area)?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5629 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto
I will say try YorkU lot of courts and they are all empty. There is no checkup or anything. But I heared rumors that uni is closed as of today so check before going.
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
Jun 20, 2004
893 posts
16 upvotes
try michfield or mitchel field community centre, church/kenneth?? i think,
it's just east of dominion across from the church. there's a ice rink there. i think they have a badminton club that plays once a week. it was last yr when i saw them play, competition didn't look to great so i didn't followup with it.
Oct 11, 2004
741 posts
2 upvotes
I am playing at Lanstaff recreation (Yonge and Hwy7) center every Sunday night from 7:30-11pm. But games are cancelled during Christmas.

1. Intermediate – Advance level
2. Pretty New (Good)
3. 4
4. Sunday night from 7:30-11pm
5. There are plenty of people
6. $10 guest or $4 + 2 feather shuttles for member
7. Nope
Simple is nice.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
467 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks for the referrals. Much appreciated.
Sep 10, 2004
199 posts
2 upvotes
wong8egg wrote:I am playing at Lanstaff recreation (Yonge and Hwy7) center every Sunday night from 7:30-11pm. But games are cancelled during Christmas.

1. Intermediate – Advance level
2. Pretty New (Good)
3. 4
4. Sunday night from 7:30-11pm
5. There are plenty of people
6. $10 guest or $4 + 2 feather shuttles for member
7. Nope
How much is the membership fee and how long is it good for? Does it work on a 15 min rotation? How often do you get to play on a regular night?
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
there's mandarin badminton behind the IBM building on steeles and pharmacy. I use to play there but it got too too too expensive. great place though.

1. What level of players
--varies... lots of pretty good players, you'll usually find some that are provincial level there.
2. The condition of the gym/courts
--pretty new place. excellent+ courts
3. How many courts
4. What days and times
--everyday, I think it's 9am-10pm...
5. If you consider it too busy of a place
--not TOO busy, but busy overall.
6. Any costs
--I think close to $600 annually. Or $10.70/visit.
7. Any other sports that you have played at the location.
--strictly badminton

There's also a friend who told me l'amoreaux centre at mcnicoll and kennedy has badminton courts. not sure when and how much though. should be much cheaper than mandarin.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com