• Dec 8th, 2019 11:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5088 posts
3850 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

LF: recommendations for wireless headphones for senior watching TV

I'm not an up to date on headphones these days and need a recommendation for a <$100 pair of wireless headphones for my dad's TV watching. He's got an older LG TV that has likely doesn't have bluetooth.

Any recommendations?
30 replies
Jun 4, 2018
391 posts
276 upvotes
Windsor/Essex Ontari…
How do you plan on connecting the wireless headphones to the TV?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15950 posts
8816 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You typically don't want Bluetooth (unless it has something like aptX LL or HD) as it introduces a long delay in the audio making anything someone watches look like a poor lipsync'd video.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5088 posts
3850 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
thexdriver wrote: How do you plan on connecting the wireless headphones to the TV?
Wireless headphones with a receiver that plugs into the rca or optical jacks
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
I don't recommend wireless headphones ...expensive and requires batteries and battery charging ...not suited for seniors !
Most older TVs will have composite RCA and S/PDIF optical audio outputs, but newer TV will only have the S/PDIF optical.
Verify which audio output(s) you have first before I can recommend a hard wire solution.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5088 posts
3850 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
EdT586 wrote: I don't recommend wireless headphones ...expensive and requires batteries and battery charging ...not suited for seniors !
Most older TVs will have composite RCA and S/PDIF optical audio outputs, but newer TV will only have the S/PDIF optical.
Verify which audio output(s) you have first before I can recommend a hard wire solution.
Will do, just waiting to hear back from him
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8153 posts
1883 upvotes
Toronto
Another solution would be to use a device like Bose Hearphones or Nuheara IQbuds BOOST. These dramatically help with TV viewing as well as many other situations including crowded restaurants and bars.
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
189 upvotes
Picked up a Sennheiser RS-110 II Wireless Headphones from CC as a clearance $30 they do have RCA inputs, best part is audio volume control, for hard of hearing issues while the TV audio is moderate for others (range is quite big 200'+) Here's the Amazon listing https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-RS-110 ... B0009PXEEU
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5088 posts
3850 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
EdT586 wrote: I don't recommend wireless headphones ...expensive and requires batteries and battery charging ...not suited for seniors !
He's got composite RCA inputs on the back.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
Melkor wrote: He's got composite RCA inputs on the back.
We need audio outputs, not inputs !
Does he have the S/PDIF connection as well ? Even the oldest TVs from 2005 have those.
Best thing is to list the brand and model number of the TV he has and we can do a check.
Reason being a RCA amp would cost more than a S/PDIF DAC and S/PDIF has much better audio quality than analog RCA composite.
A hard wire connection is always better plus you're are not limited to a limited selection of wireless headphones. A $3 dollar store headphones to a $300 audiophile headphones can be used with unlimited possibilities !

If the TV only has an analog RCA audio output then a RCA to 3.5mm Heaphone Amp is required:
https://www.amazon.ca/TNP-Portable-Head ... 273&sr=8-6

If the TV has a S/PDIF or coaxial digital audio output then a digital S/PDIF to 3.5mm Headphone DAC/Amp is the best option <<< preferered method !
https://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Converter ... 0MY4B7RVJ9
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5088 posts
3850 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
EdT586 wrote: We need audio outputs, not inputs !
Wow. I'm a knob. I feel like a senior myself at this point! He's got an optical output so it looks like that bottom converter that you recommened should do the trick. I don't have a model number without going to his place and seeing for myself.

Going this route should definitely increase the options for him. Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!!!
Dec 28, 2010
637 posts
286 upvotes
Melkor wrote: Wow. I'm a knob. I feel like a senior myself at this point!

Learned something here as well. Winking Face
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18853 posts
4948 upvotes
Toronto
PatK621 wrote: Picked up a Sennheiser RS-110 II Wireless Headphones from CC as a clearance $30 they do have RCA inputs, best part is audio volume control, for hard of hearing issues while the TV audio is moderate for others (range is quite big 200'+) Here's the Amazon listing https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-RS-110 ... B0009PXEEU
YMMV, but I found these to be junk. Not only did they have poor audio quality, they were also very susceptible to FM interference.

Mind you, I live in Toronto, where there would be lots of FM channels that can interfere.
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
189 upvotes
EugW wrote: YMMV, but I found these to be junk. Not only did they have poor audio quality, they were also very susceptible to FM interference.

Mind you, I live in Toronto, where there would be lots of FM channels that can interfere.
Customer reviews on Amazon are 54% five star and 24% four star, looks like a winner to me, and I bought and they're not as nice as the $400 headset, but they're good nuff. I live in downtown Toronto, never had an issue even a block away, perhaps you're thinking some cheap car radio USB device? The RCA connection is perfect for the op and looking at e-bay they can be had for under the ops budget new. Blue tooth is shite for distance beyond 6 feet.
Jul 27, 2006
975 posts
638 upvotes
Moncton
I've got a set of Sony MDR-RF985 for this purpose that seem to work well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes
I'd ask the person directly.
Even the most technologically inept can plug in a charger.
Source: My mom had an iphone and a slip of paper for her contacts.

Also they're not real expensive nowadays. I got some active noise cancelling ones that were fine for $40.

I'd ask if they want to deal with a cord 100% of the time or just plug it in once in a while and deal with no cord while watching.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
Melkor wrote: Wow. I'm a knob. I feel like a senior myself at this point! He's got an optical output so it looks like that bottom converter that you recommened should do the trick. I don't have a model number without going to his place and seeing for myself.

Going this route should definitely increase the options for him. Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!!!
Don't forget to order the extension cable while you're at it. Select the cable length that suits you.
https://www.amazon.ca/Extension-FosPowe ... 45&sr=8-11
The S/PDIF DAC comes with a 3ft optical cable, but you might want to opt for a better quality cable if the included one does not perform well.
https://www.amazon.ca/CableCreation-Opt ... r=8-7&th=1
Last edited by EdT586 on Dec 7th, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I'd ask the person directly.
Even the most technologically inept can plug in a charger.
Source: My mom had an iphone and a slip of paper for her contacts.

Also they're not real expensive nowadays. I got some active noise cancelling ones that were fine for $40.

I'd ask if they want to deal with a cord 100% of the time or just plug it in once in a while and deal with no cord while watching.
Wireless headphones are still limited in selection, cumbersome and still expensive no matter how you look at it and will never outperform a similarly priced wired can ...Headphile 101 !
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: Wireless headphones are still limited in selection,
Amazon has a billion of them.
cumbersome
As opposed to a cord?
still expensive

$40 is expensive?
no matter how you look at it

I'm 3/4 of your arguments with you winning your next one because this I can't argue.
will never outperform a similarly priced wired can ...Headphile 101

Wireless is about convenience, not 100% perfect sound.
For someone that isn't an audiophile but just wants the noise that a thing generates, wireless is just fine.
It's even better when you're not restricted by cords that get snagged or have limited distances.
That's not to say there aren't any downsides, but unless you're an audio snob (I'm not) I'd take wireless over wired some of the time.
That said, I do like wired as a backup, but everyone is killing 3.5mm jacks.
Also Bluetooth is a bitch.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Amazon has a billion of them.

As opposed to a cord?

$40 is expensive?

I'm 3/4 of your arguments with you winning your next one because this I can't argue.

Wireless is about convenience, not 100% perfect sound.
For someone that isn't an audiophile but just wants the noise that a thing generates, wireless is just fine.
It's even better when you're not restricted by cords that get snagged or have limited distances.
That's not to say there aren't any downsides, but unless you're an audio snob (I'm not) I'd take wireless over wired some of the time.
That said, I do like wired as a backup, but everyone is killing 3.5mm jacks.
Also Bluetooth is a bitch.
$40 is expensive? Yes compared to a $3 headphone plus $40 +taxes/shipping. I can get my $3 cans just about anywhere from the Dollarama to the corner store pharmacy and they sound awesome !
Last edited by EdT586 on Dec 7th, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.