• Feb 27th, 2006 12:39 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4557 posts
191 upvotes
GTA
thats why its called "Sake - Japanese Snack Bar" on the signage. Confusing isn't it.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
2206 posts
1 upvote
[QUOTE]im guessing i'll take my japanese friends somewhere more respectable.[/QUOTE]

don't take your Japanese friends to an all you can eat Japanese restaurant. sheesh.
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
keanefan wrote:don't take your Japanese friends to an all you can eat Japanese restaurant. sheesh.
they have a healthy tolerance for westernized japanese food.

we go out for ayce all the time and they love it since anything like that is unheard of back home. i get to hear them complain how much they miss it when they are back in japan, go figure.

now what would be insulting is if i was ignorant enough to take them to FUNE to showoff kaitenzushi and thinking its top-shelf stuff because its so 'exclusive' in the great white north of canada.....

and yeah, the harsh writeup earlier was after 2, 2:30pm, off peak lunch. My dinner experience was QUITE different and those still interested in this place will be pleasently surprised. pics and mini review coming soon.........
☆The GTA's Finest All You Can Eat Sushi Reviews☆

☆美味しい☆美味しい☆
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18478 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
trueno92 wrote:they have a healthy tolerance for westernized japanese food.

we go out for ayce all the time and they love it since anything like that is unheard of back home. i get to hear them complain how much they miss it when they are back in japan, go figure.

now what would be insulting is if i was ignorant enough to take them to FUNE to showoff kaitenzushi and thinking its top-shelf stuff because its so 'exclusive' in the great white north of canada.....

and yeah, the harsh writeup earlier was after 2, 2:30pm, off peak lunch. My dinner experience was QUITE different and those still interested in this place will be pleasently surprised. pics and mini review coming soon.........
So the dinner service is betteR?!
Oct 4, 2004
380 posts
Markham, ON
Seriously ... There are too many choices around that area ... if you don't have goo quality of food there attach with good services ... i don't think you can survive ....

Did anyone try the new Jap Restaurant on Steeles ... between Silver Star and Midland ... u know there is a new small plaza there??? behind No Frills ... the restaruant is facining Wendy's/Tim Horton's ...

SO Let's count ... in that area ... we go this Sake, at Silver Star we got Umi, Wasabi, and this other Jap's Restaurant beside Destiny ... and this new Jap Restaurant behind that plaza!!
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
[quote="civic6url"]
Did anyone try the new Jap Restaurant on Steeles ... between Silver Star and Midland ... u know there is a new small plaza there??? behind No Frills ... the restaruant is facining Wendy's/Tim Horton's ...
[QUOTE]

I am surprised Umi is still around................. like mind blown......

☆美味しい☆美味しい☆
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
2784 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
Cafe_333 wrote:I had lunch there today and while I did get my money's worth, the sushi was horrific. The interior design was upscale, but not *nice*, with pink walls and silver tones, with black tables & chairs - it did remind me of MHQ's contemporary styled design. I went with a friend during off-peak hours at 2:30pm and was surprised to be told that they were not serving lunch for another half an hour because all of their sushi bar chefs were on their lunch break. That was the most ridiculous thing we've ever heard. We decided to wait anyway since I was pegged on giving the sushi there a try, and 15 minutes later they were ready to serve us. The sushi comes out fast and the portions are good - but the first bite left alot to be desired.

Having frequented many of the most popular sushi establishments in toronto, this ranks as the worst I've ever tasted. I'm very unforgiving about restaurants that serve lukewarm (room temperature) sushi and the biggest surprise was the bland & watery taste of every meat we ate. Sushi is supposed to be left on ice, but they left theirs soaking in water which gave the meat a soft 'wet-cardboard' like feel when you bite into it, and a bland watery taste in your mouth which killed it for me. I also tried the tempura udon to find the noodles bland and the tempura dipping sauce completely watered down and tasteless. Nothing I ate wowed me, let alone would I consider half decent - except for the eel. Service, once it got going, was okay. The 10% mandatory service charge I did not agree with. It tends to make waiters not try as hard and the service sloppy, although it was actually okay today - once they started serving us... but I've had much better service elsewhere. It remains to be seen what the service is like when the place gets busy, but having already decided that I will never be going back, I don't care to know either.

Yeah so I guess I'm a AYCE n00b lol...but cmon isnt your review a little harsh?
Heatware: spikyazn (11-0-0)
Jun 12, 2005
49 posts
A couple of co workers and I went there the other day for lunch. Quite frankly, it's not the greatest deal. While it's only $10.99+20% off, the portions of each individual order is very small. For example, we ordered "fried eggplant" and "dumplings", which came out only in ONE piece. One freaking dumpling for 3 ppl?!? :confused: Other than that, service was pretty good, friendly asian girls, not too much to complain about there. All in all, a decent place, but there are better AYCE sushi places out there.
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
Trueno92 Review: Sake [Japanese Snack Bar under Pac Mall]

OK, had a rough weekend boys and girls, so im going to try and flip the other side of the coin on what has been a brutally honest thread so far....

As many of you familiar with the GTA are aware, there was once a quaint little rave/clubbing place on the ground floor level, just outside Pacific Mall. Kids would get hammered or strung out on E and the people who worked there would find a good 3-4 cellphones every night when they are cleaning up. Well, that venue is no more, and its good riddens to under age asain kids bouncing up and down like juiced bunny rabbits on NOS-powered pogo sticks.

[IMG]http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/9023/nec09984hi.jpg[/IMG]

Enter, Sake

☆美味しい☆美味しい☆
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
sPiKyAZN wrote:Yeah so I guess I'm a AYCE n00b lol...but cmon isnt your review a little harsh?
It's fair to be harsh when there are certainly better choices out there.
trueno92 wrote:and yeah, the harsh writeup earlier was after 2, 2:30pm, off peak lunch. My dinner experience was QUITE different and those still interested in this place will be pleasently surprised. pics and mini review coming soon.........
What is the point you are trying to make over the fact that I went for lunch, and at off peak hours? ;)
I would certainly expect better quality from restaurants during off peak hours when they are not as busy and certainly don't need to rush orders out. The quality of the food makes no difference wether it was dinner or lunch - and it was bad for me when I went. Going for dinner does not suddenly equal better quality. The *only* difference dinner offers you is more selection. As stated, I'm very unforgiving of restaurants that serve lukewarm sushi and having a watery taste killed it for me. Sushi is supposed to be kept on ice, but they left theirs soaked in water. Nothing met my standards for even decent sushi when compared to other places I've tried. That certainly does raise some flags about the place if one restaurant goer can feel that way. All I will say is that veteran sushi eaters who are still willing to try this place are fore-warned. If you feel this is good sushi, then to each their own. I certainly did not.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
What is the point you are trying to make over the fact that I went for lunch, and at off peak hours? ;)

from working in a restaurant, i'm sure that those out there can attest that off-peak hrs in a restaurant does NOT EQUAL better food. every restauarnt be it mcdonalds or the keg requires some amount of pressure to work effeciently.

don't forget that restaurants require time to prep and I can assure you that preparation is a huge part of making sushi and should you be making bottomless amounts of it, well then thats quite a lot of prepping to be completed. When anyone visits off-peak, they are treated as a secondary priority. why? Because the first priority is trying to make sure that you have enough stock to get you thru dinner, which will be far more demanding than a table of 2 or 4 ordering an assortment of rolls. Many of the staff in any dining establishment also leave between 2:30-5:30pm to trim down the excess payroll when those extra hands have nothing to do, so time is critical to those people that are around. Whatever staff is leftover will be juggling quite a few things to be completed by the hour as well as making precious little time to grab a bite to eat themselves.

i'm not saying that this was case in your visit, but I wouldn't dare expect first rate food if im eating past 2:30 nor would I if I am getting seated to dine past 9pm.

lastly, unless u know the owners, always beware if you are the ONLY patrons in a restaurant
As stated, I'm very unforgiving of restaurants that serve lukewarm sushi and having a watery taste killed it for me. Sushi is supposed to be kept on ice, but they left theirs soaked in water.
Lukewarm sushi, hmm....... well.. the best sushi in the world is supposed to have the rice close to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit (~37 degrees celcius), the fish is supposed to be slightly cooler than room temp in comparison to that, but certainly not ice cold. Cool, but not cold.
The soggy sashimi did turn me off as it did in many of the restaurants that I had reviewed before, but what I was pretty impressed with was the maki/temaki.

yeah, and if ur dunking the rice side of your precious nigiri sushi into soy sauce, then you are still eating it wrong as well.

As I am sure many RFD'rs can attest, I pit my reviews against the reasonable quality expected from an AYCE, which lately has been on par with MOST realistically priced a la carts from a value standpoint. isn't that what redflagDEALS is all about? but i certainly do not expect them to match some of the finer a la carts out there.
Good review

cheers, man. - now even better with pictures!

☆美味しい☆美味しい☆
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
Actually having worked in a restaurant kitchen myself, it doesn't matter when a customer goes in and eat. The food they receive should never be second rate 'just because they went in during off peak hours'. Sure they may need time to prep, but that is something they do on their free time and just because customers go in during off peak hours, it's not like the restaurant can't handle it, therefore food is second rate. For example, if I went to Congee Wong at 3:30-4pm for lunch, am I going to get second rate food whereas if I ordered the same thing during peak hours? No.

In *any* case, being a sushi restaurant the prepping point doesn't matter all that much. Sushi is not precut so there isn't a whole lot of prepping going on. Just some mild kitchen prep work at most. Especially in a high traffic area like Pacific Mall on a friday afternoon, they certainly had no excuses. But whatever. I was not expecting first rate anyway being an AYCE. I certainly however was not expecting the low quality that I had.

As for the sushi rice, you are correct that the ideal time to use it is when it has cooled down to body temperature (98.6F). In most real cases, the rice is served closer to room temperature. However, sushi meat is supposed to be ice cold. The meat needs to be stored in 5'C or less. I can even write off sushi served cool as decent quality - on par with better ayce restaurants. Lukewarm Sushi is just unacceptable. Neither is the watery taste - there are other ayce sushi restaurants that store theirs on ice. Sake should not be an exception.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
Cafe_333 wrote: In *any* case, being a sushi restaurant the prepping point doesn't matter all that much. Sushi is not precut so there isn't a whole lot of prepping going on. Just some mild kitchen prep work at most. Especially in a high traffic area like Pacific Mall on a friday afternoon, they certainly had no excuses. But whatever. I was not expecting first rate anyway being an AYCE. I certainly however was not expecting the low quality that I had.
I tend to think sushi is one of the most labour intensive preparation foods there ever has to be. I would be insulted if each piece were to be already cut, that kind of thing hardly exists in ayce, unless its katsu on danforth.

With any art, its easy to assemble, but DIFFICULT to assemble well.
The prep is all the raw materials for assembly.

Sushi on Bloor is one of the, if not the busiest sushi restaurants in all of toronto. Ask for Jason and i'm sure he'll tell you that prep is the single most important ingredient - he should know, he's the owner and he has someone on prep pretty much all day long.
Lukewarm Sushi is just unacceptable. Neither is the watery taste - there are other ayce sushi restaurants that store theirs on ice. Sake should not be an exception.
luke warm sushi or sashimi or the fish required for both? the salmon i had was easily acceptable, the tai and white tuna were well below.. and i think it was stated.

☆美味しい☆美味しい☆