LF: Review of New AYCE japanese restaurant below Pacific Mall

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2006 12:39 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 27, 2004
319 posts
3 upvotes
The restaurant is run by Japanese: Chef Mr. Hama and looks like his wife helps him in the kitchen. A young pretty waitress, could be his daughter, I don't know.

Hey,
I think I know that chick..lol...Shes not the owners daughter either.. :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6719 posts
60 upvotes
No need. I know that in all kitchen work, it is 90% prep, 10% cook. My context is that there is less prep work done in sushi restaurants than there is in other restaurants. At least that perception was formulated based on what my friend (who has acheived the rank of Master) tells me whom I often sit down with for the occasional Asahi. Not to say that the prep work there is shallow, but it sounds more tedious than it is strenuating as what conventional restaurants go through.

Anyway, everything I ate there was lukewarm. Nothing I ate was even considered a cool temperature - which was all I was at least expecting from an ayce sushi restaurant.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
2784 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
z3t3 Nimrod wrote:A couple of co workers and I went there the other day for lunch. Quite frankly, it's not the greatest deal. While it's only $10.99+20% off, the portions of each individual order is very small. For example, we ordered "fried eggplant" and "dumplings", which came out only in ONE piece. One freaking dumpling for 3 ppl?!? :confused: Other than that, service was pretty good, friendly asian girls, not too much to complain about there. All in all, a decent place, but there are better AYCE sushi places out there.
Hmmm, when me and my friend went we ordered seperately, so if say only he wanted chicken teriyaki, then we only got one however if we both ordered say salmon teriyaki we'd both get it i dunno....we ordered like 10 things each to try stuff out because we've never been to japanese ayce so i guess portions didnt really matter too much to us...
Heatware: spikyazn (11-0-0)
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
Cafe_333 wrote:No need. I know that in all kitchen work, it is 90% prep, 10% cook. My context is that there is less prep work done in sushi restaurants than there is in other restaurants.
cool cool, well, with the steadily increasing number of sushi ayce's popping up everywhere (soon there will be as many as tim hortons....) I am sure the prep can't be too demanding - so certainly think you are on to something.
☆The GTA's Finest All You Can Eat Sushi Reviews☆

☆美味しい☆美味しい☆
[OP]
Sep 6, 2004
238 posts
nice writeup by trueno.

i found another sushi restaurant at metrosquare today. it is write infront of the teashop inside the mall by the foodcourt. no idea if its AYCE. :idea:
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
nice writeup trueno,

having worked at a few restaurants before, i can attest to the fact that offpeak hours are usually the time when lowest quality food is served, be it the regular kitchen guys are on break and some noob takes over, or the food/ingredients have been sitting for a while and is served.

now there are times when you do get lucky at offpeak hours and you get some fresh stuff especially made for you (rarely).

going to restaurants at off peak hours, you should basically go in and getting served by people who are on break.

now it may not be fair for them to care less when doing stuff while on break, it happens. ;)
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
ct976 wrote:nice writeup by trueno.

i found another sushi restaurant at metrosquare today. it is write infront of the teashop inside the mall by the foodcourt. no idea if its AYCE. :idea:
thanks, I believe its the newly renovated "Sushi Hut", that used to be in the smaller area facing outside. They now have moved into a larger space that is more cafeteria-like. If it is like the old one, then it is AYCE. (the a la carte portions here are sooo small..)

☆美味しい☆美味しい☆
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
2206 posts
1 upvote
[QUOTE]Anyway, everything I ate there was lukewarm. Nothing I ate was even considered a cool temperature - which was all I was at least expecting from an ayce sushi restaurant.[/QUOTE]

so if you ate earlier, most likely your food would have tasted better- cooler, chilled and not soggy.

you ate late- sounds like the fish was left on the table so it warmed up and melted.

if you ate earlier- the fish would have been fresh from the fridge.

I agree with trueno that if you ate earlier, your food might have tasted better and you are also right to expect good food at any time of day.

If you go to a buffet, you are better off going early, rather than later when the food has been sitting on the table for a while. The same could be said about ayce restaurants, I guess.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18478 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:nice writeup trueno,

having worked at a few restaurants before, i can attest to the fact that offpeak hours are usually the time when lowest quality food is served, be it the regular kitchen guys are on break and some noob takes over, or the food/ingredients have been sitting for a while and is served.

now there are times when you do get lucky at offpeak hours and you get some fresh stuff especially made for you (rarely).

going to restaurants at off peak hours, you should basically go in and getting served by people who are on break.

now it may not be fair for them to care less when doing stuff while on break, it happens. ;)

Same goes for fast food, i can attest.
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
RESSURECTION

[IMG]http://www.azillionthings.com/images/densha.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.azillionthings.com/images/densha.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.azillionthings.com/images/densha.jpg[/IMG]

sorry to all those that still use dial-up...

$12.99 weekdays, + $1.99 weekends!!!/

Sashimi is my first love, but i tried to get in some pics of the cooked fare for those that are fans of it..

Those skewers (yakitori) are NOT IN TERRIYAKI SAUCE. Its some other tonkatsu + something else i am not sure of but IT TASTES GREAT. by far the best skewers i have tried because the meat is pefectly tender, cooked and the sauce compliments it perfectly..

[IMG]http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6520 ... 34s4kl.jpg[/IMG]

The back of this menu has all the cooked foods, tempuras, udons, don-burry's, sobas etc

[IMG]http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6370 ... 11s8fg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6918 ... 13s6bc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/88/v ... web9nr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/179/ ... 6bs9gr.jpg[/IMG]

☆美味しい☆美味しい☆
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6814 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
I just went there today and man it was nice. Having sashimi for lunch was a first for me lol... not to mention the service was hmmm alright the owner gave me a paper to order then I saw the ohter tables ordering via the waitresses and it took a quite a bit of time for my spider rolls to appear as the other tables got it first when i sent my paper in earlier while they ordered via the watiresses...sigh..seriously all these AYCE'S have to specify how much is an order and how many pieces...that way we can use our time more efficiently so that they dont' kick us out in the allotted serving time. The spider rolls i give a 7/10...the sauce was good but once u chewed into it, it felt abit too salty in my opinion and thus it looses to Sushi on 7's Spider Rolls. Other than the the atmopshere is alright with the pink but it lacked the jap feeling as the 40" LCDS were plunged with HKMTVS and such and they tried ot put some where there was SOME form of jap like arigatou lol.. omg that song is soo hmm i don't know I don't listen to hkpop so i wouldn't know..other than that its a good place to eat and to try....if you want Sashimi for lunch then I suggest u go here and AYCE it until the promotion is over and be forced to pay $14.99 and WARNING: The sushi pizza is so gloppy. When I picked it up with my chopsticks, the rice cake just fell apart and it jus ruined it.
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1270 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Went on Saturday night. Table was too small to handle all the dishes (or maybe we were just eating way too slow). Overall service was good, but one waitress knocked over the soysauce and didn't offer to clean it up, she just walked away. I refused to clean it up, called the waitress over and ask her if she could clean it up, she brought a few napkins over and just laid them over the soy sauce (nicely done!). I also didn't care for the fact that we could only use the order sheet once and had to order verbally afterwards (at least that's what we were told initially. We asked another waitress to give us another order sheet cuz we told her we wanna make her life easier, she was happy to oblige). Overall food was on par with other AYCE places and the price at 14.99 is pretty good (I won't be surprised if other places follow suite too).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8111 posts
515 upvotes
Yes, agree. Their service is very good. Only found their cooked stuff is a bit salty. But $12.99 for dinner, where else you can find !
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2005
1815 posts
20 upvotes
Scaborough
Went there today.. Nothing like the reviews that people posted here. Place must have took a DIVE!!

Went in at about 1:30pm. place is not even 25% filled.
Heres list of problems:
1) The menu they gave us was filthy. It was covered in dried up soy sauce, grease, rice, and what not. I didnt even want to hold that thing up. Not even was the menu dirty, even the plastic sign on the table that lists the "milk tea and the more expensive rolls (dragon and such)" was covered in soy sauce and rice as well. Few plates were dirty but thats not too bad as its quite common.

2) Waiters are useless. They dont tend to you at all. They walk around aimlessly from one end of the restaurant to the next, but never serve you. Had to wait atleast 2-4 mins everytime before they even noticed me or I would have to call them down from halfway across the place. Mind you that the place is not even 25% full. I dont see how with even so little people in the restaurant and having 3-4 waitresses how that we can have a table filled with empty plates and not have them taken away. We had to stack them all up on the side of the table and they sat there for atleast 15-20 minutes.
*The only waitress that was fine was the chubby one*

3) Ordering - We placed 3 orders in total. Every order they missed atleast 30-40% of our orders. So about 4 dishes out of 10.
There is no people in the place.. HOW!? is this possible
Almost all of our cooked food never came and quite a few of our sushi never came until we kept asking the waiter for our order. The table beside us were having the exact same problem as well.

4) Food
- Dragon rolls and any specialty rolls are an additional $1 each
- Spider roll was not available because it wasnt defrosted.
- Tiger Shrimp none available.
- Rolls were poorly made. They varied in size and awkward shapes.
- The spicy salmon rolls had a funky taste to it.
- beef skewers had an odd taste to it as well
- Curry fish balls were cold. (First order never came, 2nd order came cold)
- Pork cutlet in ramen was barely lukewarm.
- spicy salmon rolls and crispy spicy salmon rolls are identical.

Basically the whole menu consists of salmom rolls, california rolls, avocado rolls or mango rolls. Love the selection for all you can eat..
Everything else on the menu is a crap shoot. Either its not available and they dont tell you and just ignore it or they completely miss your order.

For a place nearby, Id suggest akiyama.
Better atmosphere, better food, better service, and costs less. Practically next door.