• Jan 20th, 2017 3:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1095 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto

LF: Waffle Cardboard Material

I'm sure you've all seen this packaging material while opening your IKEA products. It's also the same material found in IKEA furniture. I was wondering if anybody knows what this product is called and where I can buy sheets of this in the GTA? Thanks in advance!
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
10 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13765 posts
8485 upvotes
Markham
What are you planning on using this for? Perhaps there may be something better if you enlighten us.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1095 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
notfromqc wrote: Honeycomb cardboard?

https://www.uline.ca/BL_1856/Honeycomb-Pads
https://whitebird.ca/honeycomb/1000-1004-101-100

Couple of suppliers found but I have a feeling it's for large quantities. Doesn't hurt to give them a call though.
You sir/madame made my day!
gr8dlr wrote: What are you planning on using this for? Perhaps there may be something better if you enlighten us.
Sure, I'm working on a commercial project where I designed a pretty large suspended ceiling feature. My millworkers are scared wood would be too heavy to hang (which I agree). I need something lightweight, like this honeycomb cardboard. I hope my millworker can devise a way to laminate on top. If this works and is installed, I hope it looks amazing! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Project 708
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13765 posts
8485 upvotes
Markham
Consider using polycarbonate multiwall (like cardboard) instead of cardboard... Lightweight and almost indestructible and can handle moisture etc.

They use it in greenhouse applications.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1095 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Consider using polycarbonate multiwall (like cardboard) instead of cardboard... Lightweight and almost indestructible and can handle moisture etc.

They use it in greenhouse applications.
What's the cost comparison to the cardboard?
Project 708
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6798 posts
2348 upvotes
GTA
I haven't seen polycarb in a thick honeycomb design, just the panels. We used cardboard in a floating torsion box seat, sprayed it with clear lacquer that was on hand thinking it would stiffen everything up and help prevent humidity from turning the cardboard to mush. The seats still rock solid in customers doorway, if you do end up using cardboard suggest the cabinetmaker shoot it with an acrylic clear coat or something before closing up the 'sandwich'
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13765 posts
8485 upvotes
Markham
Faemow wrote: What's the cost comparison to the cardboard?
Not sure...depends on sizing and application I suppose. You can call or go to plastics company and you can see what is available and discuss with them whether it meets your needs.

I bought some stuff recently from Piedmont Plastics which is located in Scarborough for an outdoor project and they were helpful. There are other companies like EM Plastics as well

http://www.piedmontplastics.com/

Good luck.

Zamboni: I don't think OP was looking for specifically honeycomb design...OP was looking for something lightweight and sturdy for a commercial project (I presume that means OP has some budget to work with) and I just offered something else to consider.

Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4398 posts
3873 upvotes
Toronto
I was at Home Depot last night about an hour before closing time. It was pretty dead. Inventory staff (or whatever they're called; not the usual orange apron staff) were moving pallets of goods into the aisles to restock the shelves once the store closed. Lots of stuff on big pallets, completely wrapped in cellophane, and multiple levels separated by this honeycomb cardboard. I thought to myself "hey, it's that stuff I read about on RFD!".

If you don't need that much, do some dumpster diving, or if they recycle it, chat with them about grabbing some as they probably put it aside for recycling once all the goods are taken off the pallets.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1095 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: I was at Home Depot last night about an hour before closing time. It was pretty dead. Inventory staff (or whatever they're called; not the usual orange apron staff) were moving pallets of goods into the aisles to restock the shelves once the store closed. Lots of stuff on big pallets, completely wrapped in cellophane, and multiple levels separated by this honeycomb cardboard. I thought to myself "hey, it's that stuff I read about on RFD!".

If you don't need that much, do some dumpster diving, or if they recycle it, chat with them about grabbing some as they probably put it aside for recycling once all the goods are taken off the pallets.
Sweet! Thanks for keeping an eye!
Project 708
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2800 posts
947 upvotes
Windsor
The crap interior doors I have in my home have that inside; maybe you could just use crappy old doors?
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.