Hot Deals

[LG] 2018 LG OLED TVs on sale *** <$1900 for 55" C8 | <$2800 for 65" C8 | <$7800 for 77" C8 ***

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 12:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15909 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
VincentL93132 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 4:42 pm
Is $3100 from an authorized seller for the LG C8 65'' a good deal?
IMHO yes. I ordered at $3100.

However, as I mentioned earlier though, the absolute lowest so far I’ve heard of is $2999. So far...
Mar 29, 2011
994 posts
384 upvotes
The 6ix
Tele city in Brampton has it for $2999. Ask for Sunny, he's the one who gave me that deal
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15909 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
I checked Costco in-store. Unfortunately, in-store in Scarborough (Warden) the C8 65" is still the same price as it is online, so no savings there. As usual it does come with the 2nd year warranty, and you can also buy a third year of warranty for $99.99.

BTW, it was interesting comparing the demo loops on those TVs. The C8 had lots of scenes with dark shadows, etc. In contrast (no pun intended), most of the VA and IPS panels focused on bright colourful scenes in their demo loops.

Looking at the C8 design in person, honestly I much prefer the B7P's stand over the C8 as to me it looks nicer and it also takes up much less space. The superwide C8 stand is unnecessary from stability standpoint, so I guess it's really just to redirect the sound from the TV forwards.

IMG_1854.jpeg
IMG_1855.jpeg
IMG_1872.jpeg
IMG_1870.jpeg
IMG_1871.jpeg
Brewsky wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:14 am
For anybody that plays or watches anything with a predominantly white screen (i.e. hockey) I wouldn't recommend any OLED TV.

The ABL issue absolutely sucks and was the main reason why I returned my OLED. Aside from that, it would've been the perfect TV.
I don't know how bad it is for hockey now, but FWIW, ABL has been relaxed in the 2017 and 2018 models vs the 2016. Furthermore, at least in the initial reviews, they very little dirty screen effect. Which year did you test?
Jun 6, 2005
494 posts
17 upvotes
Just curious if anyone knows if LG will extend the current pricing past today or possibly lower it further? Almost all of the retailers have the $3699 price of the 65" C8 ending today.

I want to purchase next week, which will mean less than 90 days before US Black Friday if the price drops I can ask for the difference back from Costco (or return and buy another if they won't).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15909 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
BTW, for those of you looking at Best Buy, they have the deal below on all the 2018 LG OLEDs.:

FREE INSTALLATION, FIXED WALL MOUNT* & SMART TV SETUP
Elite TV Service Package included with purchase of select TVs**

UP TO $430 VALUE
SHOP ALL ELIGIBLE TVS
* Fixed Wall Mount provided by Manufacturer or Best Buy
** Excluding all major sales not exclusive to: VIP Sale, Black Friday Sale, Cyber Monday Sale and Boxing Day Sale
Installation
Includes wall mount and mounting by Geek Squad Agents so you don’t have to do the heavy lifting.

Smart TV Setup
Geek Squad Agents will connect your new TV to your existing wireless network and assess your network for 4K.

Tutorial
Our Geek Squad Agents will demonstrate and teach you how to use the features of your Smart TV.

bigred123 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 10:03 am
Just curious if anyone knows if LG will extend the current pricing past today or possibly lower it further? Almost all of the retailers have the $3699 price of the 65" C8 ending today.

I want to purchase next week, which will mean less than 90 days before US Black Friday if the price drops I can ask for the difference back from Costco (or return and buy another if they won't).
One wonders if they chose this date on purpose...

However, last year, after people started getting sub $3000 pricing on the 65" B7, AFAIK the 2nd tier retailers continued to offer it under $3000 all year (but didn't advertise those prices). However, as mentioned that's the 2nd tier retailers. Dunno what will happen with Costco and Best Buy.

EDIT:

Here is the pricing history on the 2017 65" C7P in the US, with Amazon and third party retailers:

OLED65C7P.PNG

As you can see, after the summer price drop, the pricing never went back up.
Last edited by EugW on Aug 23rd, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14498 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
I actually prefer the C-series stand.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2125 posts
221 upvotes
Thornhill
I was given $2900+tax offer at CNE for C8. Sales tactic was one day offer, I think some local shops may give lower with cash only....
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15909 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
Myv wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 10:45 am
I was given $2900+tax offer at CNE for C8. Sales tactic was one day offer, I think some local shops may give lower with cash only....
Nice! Here we go...

So that was credit card? Free shipping? My $3100 + tax offer was with credit card payment. (I get 1.75 - 2% cash back, so about $60 cash back plus credit card extended warranty.) Store pickup only though, which is fine for me since a 65" is small enough to fit in our car.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2125 posts
221 upvotes
Thornhill
EugW wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 10:52 am
Nice! Here we go...

So that was credit card? Free shipping? My $3100 + tax offer was with credit card payment. (I get 1.75 - 2% cash back, so about $60 cash back plus credit card extended warranty.) Store pickup only though, which is fine for me since a 65" is small enough to fit in our car.
Yes, CC + FS (but it looks like only certain areas, but you may be able to haggle for FS)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15909 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
Myv wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 10:58 am
Yes, CC + FS (but it looks like only certain areas, but you may be able to haggle for FS)
Thread title changed to reflect that awesome pricing.
Mar 7, 2011
204 posts
138 upvotes
Calgary
Myv wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 10:45 am
Hmm...any chance you can post a receipt so we could try to get a price match?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2125 posts
221 upvotes
Thornhill
xdreamoz wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 11:44 am
Hmm...any chance you can post a receipt so we could try to get a price match?
I didn't buy it, I wanted to check a local shop first. Just reporting the offer I was given, sorry.
Aug 21, 2013
131 posts
61 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2018 7:16 pm
I checked Costco in-store. Unfortunately, in-store in Scarborough (Warden) the C8 65" is still the same price as it is online, so no savings there. As usual it does come with the 2nd year warranty, and you can also buy a third year of warranty for $99.99.

BTW, it was interesting comparing the demo loops on those TVs. The C8 had lots of scenes with dark shadows, etc. In contrast (no pun intended), most of the VA and IPS panels focused on bright colourful scenes in their demo loops.

Looking at the C8 design in person, honestly I much prefer the B7P's stand over the C8 as to me it looks nicer and it also takes up much less space. The superwide C8 stand is unnecessary from stability standpoint, so I guess it's really just to redirect the sound from the TV forwards.

IMG_1854.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg

IMG_1872.jpeg

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

I don't know how bad it is for hockey now, but FWIW, ABL has been relaxed in the 2017 and 2018 models vs the 2016. Furthermore, at least in the initial reviews, they very little dirty screen effect. Which year did you test?
I tested 2018. In fact, reviews have called it out explicitly as oppose to the past where they would barely mention ABL.

It's the first negative listed in the Pros/Cons section of RTings review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15909 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
Brewsky wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2018 2:52 pm
I tested 2018. In fact, reviews have called it out explicitly as oppose to the past where they would barely mention ABL.

It's the first negative listed in the Pros/Cons section of RTings review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled
Fair enough. Most reviewers do recommend LCDs over OLEDs for watching hockey.

I guess it comes down to how much hockey you watch. If it's a general purpose TV, OLED is great, but if you're a big sports fan who watches a ton of hockey and don't watch movies, etc. then getting an OLED is probably a bad idea.

Also, while ABL has been relaxed in the 2017/2018 models, that's probably more in the case of movies and TV shows, where screens aren't necessarily all white and they're like that for short periods. Perhaps because these models get significantly brighter than older models, they are prone to kicking in ABL specifically in stuff like hockey were essentially 75% of the screen is near-white most of the time. (Just guessing here.)

---

For those who don't understand, ABL is short for automatic brightness limiter. OLEDs are prone to burn-in, and the brighter the screen (eg. white) the higher the risk. Thus, the companies build in ABL which decreases the brightness for very bright screens. This decreases the risk of burn-in. Unfortunately, hockey is very prone to this since basically in large part you're just watching a tiny black puck travelling around a big and bright white background.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

shermm, Bawler