Hot Deals

[LG] 2018 LG OLED TVs on sale *** <$1900 for 55" C8 | <$2800 for 65" C8 | <$7800 for 77" C8 ***

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2019 11:57 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16330 posts
3402 upvotes
Toronto
I made a conscious decision with my C8 not to go overboard with the synthetic solid screen testing. My main testing consisted of watching various material and seeing if it was OK. I also did test some hockey too. Luckily I do seem to have a good panel though so I'm happy. Screen uniformity is decent with greys, and banding is minimal. I got a stuck pixel once a couple of months ago, but I ran a full length pixel refresher cycle and it disappeared. I still don't know how that works considering the screen is black when the pixel refresher is running.

The biggest issues I've noticed are:
1) Some blocking of dark grey / blacks on some material but that's a software issue combined with some source material. This is a known issue, and is actually improved on the 2018 model line compared to the 2017s, but is apparently less obvious on Sony OLEDs due to their superior handling of greys and blacks, even though Sony uses the same LG OLED panels.
2) Motion handling is not so good. However, I knew this going in, as this is a hardware limitation of current OLED technology. It can be partially masked on Sony TVs due to their superior software, but it's still there. On LG TVs the software is not mature enough so I turn off any such features and deal with the juddery panning. Unfortunately, the software to mask motion handling on LG TVs is plagued with motion artifacts, so it's better to just leave it off completely. This is not my video, but I saw similar issues in the very first scene I tried when I turned on the LG TruMotion feature:

As I've mentioned before, the out-of-the-box colour calibration looks good to me on my C8. I didn't measure it, but just watched a lot of material. In contrast, the B7 I had before just seemed slightly off. I don't know if the C8 is on average is better factory calibrated than the B7, or if it was just the luck of the draw.

---

BTW, a user here bought my Sony VPL-HW45ES 1080p projector. Great transaction BTW. However, even after all this time with my 65" C8, I still do miss the 90" image size I had before. 65" is decent for my seating distance, but 77" would be sooooooo much better. I can't wait until the prices drop into reasonable pricing territory. My understanding is that the 77" C8 is still in the < $8000 ballpark, which is roughly 60% more than what I want to spend. 88" would be even better, but I don't see that becoming a realistic option for a decade. I have no desire in my setup for anything above about 85-90" but I think I'd be satisfied with 77", which has over 40% more screen area than a 65".

---

So, all in all, after about 5 months with this TV, I'm very happy with it overall. However, if I could choose one thing to "fix", it would be the screen size. I really want that bigger OLED... eventually.

litebrite wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 1:52 am
I happened to check out Direct Liquidation today at their Burnaby BC location and came across a wack of 55" and 65" C8. The 55" was priced at $1600 and the 65" was priced at $2200. They were all in their original boxes except they obviously look opened (ie, the tape across the top look altered, retaped, etc). I asked about them and was told they have all been verified to be in good working condition with all the appropriate accessories. They even have a technician working in the back checking out the TVs. They had come from a Best Buy "buyer's remorse program", so I assume they are customer returns? They do offer a 30 day return and the opportunity to buy a 3rd party 2 or 3 year warranty. Was told the prices could be negotiable... they could go down to ~$1400 for the 55".

I already purchased my C8 but if I was in the market right now I'd be super tempted. Anyone have experience buying from direct liquidation? Their website say they're an official outlet for all LG products.
Great pricing, but I'd only consider them if they allowed full money back returns (not just exchanges), and included the full 1-year warranty.
Jan 19, 2018
304 posts
172 upvotes
Not sure if anyone else experienced this but I have issues sharing my PC content with my C8 on 5Ghz Wi-Fi. In order to share content, both the PC and TV must be on the same Wi-Fi network, but the TV can only detect my PC when on non-5GHz Wi-Fi. I'm using LG Smart Share software on my PC to enable sharing. By default both devices connect to the 5GHz network because it's a lot faster. It's a PITA to have to switch both devices to the other Wi-Fi network when I want to stream something from my PC to the TV. If this is not an isolated issue, then buyer beware. If anyone has any solutions I would love to hear it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16330 posts
3402 upvotes
Toronto
bobohobo2kx wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 5:45 pm
Not sure if anyone else experienced this but I have issues sharing my PC content with my C8 on 5Ghz Wi-Fi. In order to share content, both the PC and TV must be on the same Wi-Fi network, but the TV can only detect my PC when on non-5GHz Wi-Fi. I'm using LG Smart Share software on my PC to enable sharing. By default both devices connect to the 5GHz network because it's a lot faster. It's a PITA to have to switch both devices to the other Wi-Fi network when I want to stream something from my PC to the TV. If this is not an isolated issue, then buyer beware. If anyone has any solutions I would love to hear it.
What's the distance and signal strength? Typically 5 GHz is weaker than 2.4 GHz.

Personally I set usually my networks up to use either 2.4 or 5 GHz so the clients can choose.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1212 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 9:41 am
The biggest issues I've noticed are:
1) Some blocking of dark grey / blacks on some material but that's a software issue combined with some source material.
2) Motion handling is not so good. However, I knew this going in, as this is a hardware limitation of current OLED technology.
Yes, correct, those 2 issues are more software related rather than hardware.

The first is mostly noticeable because of the high contrast ratio that OLEDs are capable of. Lower bitrate content that’s starved of bitrate in black detail sections becomes exceedingly obvious with an OLED because the tv can show you what you’re missing. Just like a good quality speaker will make the shortfalls of a compressed (low bitrate) mp3 more obvious.

The second issue is not exclusive to OLED at all and just has to do with “sample and hold” which is how LCDs display images (and the LG WYOLED technology leverages since it’s not made up of RGB subpixels).

Neither of those will be impacted by the panel lottery.
Jan 19, 2018
304 posts
172 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 7:42 pm
What's the distance and signal strength? Typically 5 GHz is weaker than 2.4 GHz.

Personally I set usually my networks up to use either 2.4 or 5 GHz so the clients can choose.
The PC and TV share the same wall but on different sides, so the distance is minimal. So I don't think that's the issue.
Jan 23, 2013
20 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
bobohobo2kx wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 5:45 pm
I have tried the Smartshare software and found it pretty clunky to use. Plex works much better and it is free to use on your PC and there is a Plex app available in the LG store.
Sep 11, 2017
40 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hibbing wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 11:00 am
Also remember one dealer will NOT be selling LG as of January 1st.
Did anyone confirm what this meant? Or was it all BS?
Feb 19, 2019
2 posts
Alright anyone in bc lower mainland pick a c8 up recently for a deal.

Looking for a 65
Feb 18, 2019
2 posts
Hoping the C8s go back on sale soon (preferably this weekend's sale cycle). Was hoping to pick one up last week, but the day I had the free cash to buy one was the first day they weren't on sale anymore. lol. I almost went with a 900f instead of the C8, but at the end of the day the C8 is what I really want so I'll wait.
Nov 17, 2013
714 posts
112 upvotes
WINNIPEG
lol Is that a real thing or joke?
seriously, a tv that is fine and buyer just wants to return in 30days due to regret, what happens to it? does it go to one of these liquidation places or does it go back onto best buy's floor? I'd like to get an oled like that.
are you allowed to buy individual items at this place? They're website is just listing things by the pallet. Don't need a pallet of oleds... or do I? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
litebrite wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 1:52 am
They had come from a Best Buy "buyer's remorse program"
I already purchased my C8 but if I was in the market right now I'd be super tempted. Anyone have experience buying from direct liquidation? Their website say they're an official outlet for all LG products.
Jan 19, 2018
304 posts
172 upvotes
G0diva wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 1:25 pm
Did anyone confirm what this meant? Or was it all BS?
It was bs, I confirmed it with LG. I posted the email exchange with them several pages back.
Sep 11, 2017
40 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bobohobo2kx wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 12:27 pm
It was bs, I confirmed it with LG. I posted the email exchange with them several pages back.
Maybe @Hibbing can comment on why he was spreading false information?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1172 posts
364 upvotes
G0diva wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 12:36 pm
Maybe at least 1 Dealer in the world? lol
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3358 posts
796 upvotes
G0diva wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 12:36 pm
Because he's the regional manager of visions and would do anything to make a sale?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2675 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver
vrredflag wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 12:10 pm
lol Is that a real thing or joke?
seriously, a tv that is fine and buyer just wants to return in 30days due to regret, what happens to it? does it go to one of these liquidation places or does it go back onto best buy's floor? I'd like to get an oled like that.
are you allowed to buy individual items at this place? They're website is just listing things by the pallet. Don't need a pallet of oleds... or do I? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I dunno if it's real or a joke. That's what the sales person at Direct Liquidation told me when I asked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Cuz I already have a C8 I didn't go full on interrogation mode.

Yea in the actual store you're able to buy just 1. They had a bunch of 55" and 65".