Hot Deals

[LG] 2018 LG OLED TVs on sale *** <$1900 for 55" C8 | <$2800 for 65" C8 | <$7800 for 77" C8 ***

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 12:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15909 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 9:28 am
Folks, the C8 is top of class. The burn-in issue is avoidable with prudence. Don't leave a channel with a news ticker running 24/7, don't run these TVs with airport terminal flight times 24/7, and don't lazily pause the game screen for days on end.

I will not touch a TV at this price range for the foreseeable future, but if ballers like @Hibbing push the 55" C8 down another 40% to 50% by Black Friday ... I may have trouble saying no.
Heh. Good luck. You'll be waiting quite a while. Maybe Black Friday... in 2021. ;)

I will probably buy a 75-77" once it drops to $4000 street, which is almost a 50% drop. I'm predicting four years from now. But then again, maybe I'll decide I want an 85-88" one then, and will have to wait even longer. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
4258 posts
4261 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 11:27 am
Heh. Good luck. You'll be waiting quite a while. Maybe Black Friday... in 2021. ;)

I will probably buy a 75-77" once it drops to $4000 street, which is almost a 50% drop. I'm predicting four years from now. But then again, maybe I'll decide I want an 85-88" one then, and will have to wait even longer. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
The US is a very forgiving market, land of the free... don't write her off just yet.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15909 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 11:35 am
The US is a very forgiving market, land of the free... don't write her off just yet.
I assume you don't live in the US though...

And prices won't go that low in the US either anyway on BF this year. Prices in the US and Canada for the 55" and 65" are relatively close. For the 77" though, not so much.
Nov 6, 2003
262 posts
38 upvotes
Oakville, ON
EugW wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 11:08 pm
Mind you I just finished watching the 4K Predator disc and the quality is horrid in some parts, despite being a remaster. Oh well, great movie though.
Hi Eugw, I watched the 4K UHD version on my 65" B7 and thought it looked fantastic. There were a few moments that weren't as great looking as the rest of the film, but these can be attributed to the camera stock and lighting being used at the time. Also, besides the film stock choices that were made we have to remember that this film is now over 30 years old and will never look like a 4k version of a current blockbuster.

Hear is a recent review of the 4k video from Blu-ray.com where they gave the video 4.5 stars out of 5.
Predator is presented on 4K UHD courtesy of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment with a 2160p transfer in 1.85:1. Both this film and its follow up were reportedly given brand new 4K scans, and the first thing fans will notice as the 20th Century Fox masthead comes into view is — grain. In fact, a lot of it (much more than the other shot on film offering in the Predator: 3-Movie Collection 4K, Predator 2 4K). Here's the thing, though: unlike some shot on film 4K UHD transfers from Lionsgate I've reviewed over the past little while that I found at least occasionally on the dicey side, Fox's encode pretty effortlessly supports even the rather coarse (and, frankly, somewhat "dupey" looking) grain in the opening couple of seconds, a tendency that only improves once the actual film starts. While there are probably unavoidable ebbs and flows to the grain field here, partly due to lighting conditions and at other times due to opticals, things look commendably organic throughout the presentation, with a really nice thickness and texture to the proceedings that those who want "film to look like film" will almost certainly approve of. Detail levels are noticeably improved throughout this version, even in some of the dimly lit and mist filled jungle scenes, but it was some of the tweaks to the palette courtesy of HDR that really caught my eye as I watched this version. "Little" elements like the saturation on Arnie's red shirt in one of his first scenes are quite notably more vivid now, and even the interstitial green tones in the many jungle sequences have greater range and nuance. Explosions from gunfire and, well, explosives also offer a somewhat more lustrous orange tone in this version, and the highlights of the "Predator vision" moments gain new force as well. Some of the heavily graded and/or "stylishly" lit sequences, as in some of the longer moments bathed in red, have surprising levels of fine detail that are frankly nowhere to be seen in the Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu-ray version. Both this film and each of its follow ups sometimes suffer from slight inadequacies in shadow definition in some of the darkest moments, but I can't imagine many fans, especially those really disappointed with the Ultimate Hunter Edition, not being pleased with the look of this new 4K UHD version.
I'm also trying to figure out if I should pick up a 65" B8 this year or wait until the 77" drops below $5000. The new fab coming online will be primed for 75" Oled screens and will hasten the drop in prices at that size, but I'm not sure I can wait another year or two for those prices.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15909 posts
3215 upvotes
Toronto
cypher wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 12:20 pm
Hi Eugw, I watched the 4K UHD version on my 65" B7 and thought it looked fantastic. There were a few moments that weren't as great looking as the rest of the film, but these can be attributed to the camera stock and lighting being used at the time. Also, besides the film stock choices that were made we have to remember that this film is now over 30 years old and will never look like a 4k version of a current blockbuster.

Hear is a recent review of the 4k video from Blu-ray.com where they gave the video 4.5 stars out of 5.
Yeah, the 4K transfer faithfully represents the original film stock.

Unfortunately, the original just wasn't great quality to begin with. I didn't realize how bad some of the footage was. There are some scenes that are just plain out of focus for example.

There are many movies of that age or older that had much better video quality, but then again, those were mostly much bigger budget productions. But the out of focus shots just irritated me. The other thing that bugged me was the fact that the grain and lighting varied from shot to shot, even with daytime shots. It was quite distracting. I usually don't mind grain, but it was weird going back and forth with scenes with little grain to scenes with a ton of grain.

So, in truth my beef isn't with the 4K version, but the original footage.

Mind you, when I saw it in the theatre, I didn't care. I loved the movie in the theatre. :)

Also, watching these movies on 4K TVs like the C8 really magnifies the defects in some cases. I said earlier that I really liked the 1080p Blu-ray version of Tron: Legacy. But even that one looks problematic in some scenes upscaled on this C8. I see some colour artifacting in some scenes that I never saw before on my 1080p projection setup for example, and I don't think it's a problem with the upscaling.
I'm also trying to figure out if I should pick up a 65" B8 this year or wait until the 77" drops below $5000. The new fab coming online will be primed for 75" Oled screens and will hasten the drop in prices at that size, but I'm not sure I can wait another year or two for those prices.
Get the C8 if you're going to buy this year. The noise reduction algorithm is noticeably improved for example.

When I watched Wonder Woman, in some scenes there is weird digital noise in the sky for example, and it's quite distracting (to me anyway) without light noise reduction on, but the B7's noise reduction doesn't work anywhere near as well as the C8's. I didn't try the B8 but apparently the results should be about the same on the B8 as the B7, due to the inferior SoC.

I often run with noise reduction off, but I think Wonder Woman needs noise reduction in some scenes despite being such a huge high budget blockbuster.
Nov 6, 2003
262 posts
38 upvotes
Oakville, ON
EugW wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:38 pm
Also, watching these movies on 4K TVs like the C8 really magnifies the defects in some cases. I said earlier that I really liked the 1080p Blu-ray version of Tron: Legacy. But even that one looks problematic in some scenes upscaled on this C8. I see some colour artifacting in some scenes that I never saw before on my 1080p projection setup for example, and I don't think it's a problem with the upscaling.
Agreed, I came from a 65" plasma and one of the first things I noticed was how much more revealing some videos/movies were with problematic content. I've read a lot of online forum posts (eg avsforum) where specific settings are being used based on the content. Once I get more time I'm going to apply these on my set.
EugW wrote:
Get the C8 if you're going to buy this year. The noise reduction algorithm is noticeably improved for example.

When I watched Wonder Woman, in some scenes there is weird digital noise in the sky for example, and it's quite distracting (to me anyway) without light noise reduction on, but the B7's noise reduction doesn't work anywhere near as well as the C8's. I didn't try the B8 but apparently the results should be about the same on the B8 as the B7, due to the inferior SoC.
The new processor is one of the main areas that has me intrigued. I was hoping for eARC to be added our Plex server is highly utilized in the home and having lossless audio fed to the receiver for these streams would be incredible. As far as I know, only the Sony OLEDs have been announced with this feature in 2018.
Sep 3, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
gew wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 10:53 pm
Did a lot of driving around today. Went to Top Choice in Vaughan and they were closed. Then did a detour to the Brampton store. Went in said someone got the 55" C8 for 1850 and they very quickly gave it to me for the same price. $1850 + 28 env fee + tax = $2122. Took less than 10 minutes in and out. They said it's their last one until they restock and a lot of people were looking for it. It's definitely a great deal.

Huge thanks to the OP and everyone on this thread. I first started looking for a TV not knowing what's good out there, maybe in the $1200-1400 range. Then I thought of getting the B7 hopefully for $1600 or $1700. Ended up getting the C8 for a similar price! RFD sure knows how to upsell. :D
I also have to thank RFD as well. I was also in a very similar position as you @[gew] was almost thinking to buy B7 55 (used from kijiji) for 1650 with 4 yrs warranty from costco but luckily it did not happen. I too finally purchased the C8 55 from top choice (Brampton) yesterday for the same price 2122 and got it delivered. The sales person said the same thing to me that it was the last piece (went at around 7.30PM) and that its in lot of demand. He also told that another person came from downtown and took it in his car (some hybrid model) may be ihe was referring you @[gew]. I went all the way from Markham to the store (3 hrs round trip in bus) and did not have a car so the store person was kind enough to arrange a free delivery today.
The TV is just amazing Smiling Face With Open Mouthand I am glad I knew about RFD so soon being new to the country (landed a 1 month ago). I am also enjoying the Rogers internet deal (500u for 29.99) which i came to know from RFD.

I asked about the C8 65 (looks like there is stock, saw 2 lying around there) for people who want to know in this forum and was told it would be 2800+tax. I could not resist myself asking about E8 55 too seeing it in display, oh boy it was gorgeous Smiling Face With Open Mouthwhich was for 2700+tax
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6387 posts
50 upvotes
ohhhh C8 65" cheaper than visions....interesting.
kskr19 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 9:33 pm
I also have to thank RFD as well. I was also in a very similar position as you @gew was almost thinking to buy B7 55 (used from kijiji) for 1650 with 4 yrs warranty from costco but luckily it did not happen. I too finally purchased the C8 55 from top choice (Brampton) yesterday for the same price 2122 and got it delivered. The sales person said the same thing to me that it was the last piece (went at around 7.30PM) and that its in lot of demand. He also told that another person came from downtown and took it in his car (some hybrid model) may be ihe was referring you @gew. I went all the way from Markham to the store (3 hrs round trip in bus) and did not have a car so the store person was kind enough to arrange a free delivery today.
The TV is just amazing Smiling Face With Open Mouthand I am glad I knew about RFD so soon being new to the country (landed a 1 month ago). I am also enjoying the Rogers internet deal (500u for 29.99) which i came to know from RFD.

I asked about the C8 65 (looks like there is stock, saw 2 lying around there) for people who want to know in this forum and was told it would be 2800+tax. I could not resist myself asking about E8 55 too seeing it in display, oh boy it was gorgeous Smiling Face With Open Mouthwhich was for 2700+tax
- Private Investigator...
Dec 11, 2011
19 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
I also purchased a 55” C8 from Top Choice in Brampton today.

I also got it delivered as I have a small car. The salesperson said that it will be delivered by Amazon as they will be getting it from their Amazon inventory and that I should get an email from Amazon when it ships. Is this also the case with you?
Aug 18, 2006
84 posts
18 upvotes
kskr19 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 9:33 pm
I also have to thank RFD as well. I was also in a very similar position as you @gew was almost thinking to buy B7 55 (used from kijiji) for 1650 with 4 yrs warranty from costco but luckily it did not happen. I too finally purchased the C8 55 from top choice (Brampton) yesterday for the same price 2122 and got it delivered. The sales person said the same thing to me that it was the last piece (went at around 7.30PM) and that its in lot of demand. He also told that another person came from downtown and took it in his car (some hybrid model) may be ihe was referring you @gew. I went all the way from Markham to the store (3 hrs round trip in bus) and did not have a car so the store person was kind enough to arrange a free delivery today.

He was probably referring to me. I bought the TV at around 7pm so you got in 15-20 minutes right after me! It very barely fit into my car. Looks like they do have a couple more pieces in stock so I'm glad other people were able to get it. I wish I am able to get the Rogers deal like you, no luck for me. Enjoy your TV with the nice internet speed. :D
momo3371 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 12:40 am

I also got it delivered as I have a small car. The salesperson said that it will be delivered by Amazon as they will be getting it from their Amazon inventory and that I should get an email from Amazon when it ships. Is this also the case with you?
I got mine in the store right away. @kskr19 got it delivered so maybe he's getting it from Amazon stock. Seems like Top Choice is literally the top choice for the lowest price at the moment.

The C8 screen is definitely amazing. There's absolutely no comparing it to my old plasma. I've just been putting off replacing my TV for so long because that old thing just doesn't break.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2657 posts
1472 upvotes
Vancouver
ontheDB wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 10:35 am
Another 40-50% from what has been mentioned ? So into the $1000-1200 range ?

I have just started following the LG OLED pricing and just wondering if that is realistic as the C8's will just be the current year's model.
Not realistic at all. Generally you might see premium/top end tv at maybe 50% off the original release MSRP by black friday. For c8, thats $3000/$4000/$10000 USD (55/65/77”). Now this year price already reached that mark, probably due to the fact less people bought tvs during the summer (unstable economy and trade wars generally means people will put off luxury purchases). Add to that HDMI 2.1 has to be slowly pushed out sooner or later so another reason some might be willing to wait or buy a stopgap tv instead of a premium.

That means we probably will see some deeper discounts than normal (across the board). Plus also since most tv this year are only minor improvements over last year but with similar release MSRP, manufacturers likely have bigger margins to work with (lower cost due to lower parts and lower R&D cost). Still that wont mean 40% more from current prices. We might see another 10-20% drop between now and BF for OLEDs but not likely much more than that. After all, dropping the price too far means LG wont be able to sell any of their LEDs that they already produced. Plus given LGD sold OLED panels to other manufacturers (Sony, Panasonic, Hisense, etc) if they start selling panels for less than the price given to those manufacturers, you wont see any more orders next year. It might even be written in the purchase order that LG cant go below a certain price point (and if they do, they probably need to give send a rebate or something). Basically there is a magic number that LG will not go below (at least advertise below) and we are probably close to that already (might already be there). If i had to guess, the number probably is $1800/$2800 and we will see in 2.5 months what that magic number likely is. Again that number isnt the lowest price you can buy the tv for but it will be the lowest advertised price. Given no one can advertise it lower, there is no incentive to sell more than say 10% below that number unless you need to clear out stock (which wont happen till next year).

Its the same reason no one advertised b7/c7 below $2000/$3000 last year (tho some stores sold it for less, it wasnt advertised anywhere below those price points and sold for less was roughly 10%).
Sep 3, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
momo3371 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 12:40 am

Mine was not from the amazon stock. It was right in the store and had an option of taking it right then but got it delivered as I don't have a car. Looks like that indeed was the last one in the store.

Enjoy your TV Smiling Face With Open Mouth
gew wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 1:32 am
He was probably referring to me. I bought the TV at around 7pm so you got in 15-20 minutes right after me! It very barely fit into my car. Looks like they do have a couple more pieces in stock so I'm glad other people were able to get it. I wish I am able to get the Rogers deal like you, no luck for me. Enjoy your TV with the nice internet speed. :D

I got mine in the store right away. @kskr19 got it delivered so maybe he's getting it from Amazon stock. Seems like Top Choice is literally the top choice for the lowest price at the moment.

The C8 screen is definitely amazing. There's absolutely no comparing it to my old plasma. I've just been putting off replacing my TV for so long because that old thing just doesn't break.
Thoroughly enjoying the speed Smiling Face With Open Mouth. You could just cancel the rogers existing connection if you have and they might offer you, unless you are on contract. And I don't have Bell in my area but was still offered.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2003
6956 posts
931 upvotes
London
EugW wrote:
Visions at Kennedy 65C8 $2775 call (416) 250-8601 and ask for Mike or Rico. MENTION my name. Will have the 55" price shortly.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1020 posts
439 upvotes
CALGARY
Hibbing wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 10:07 am
Visions at Kennedy 65C8 $2775 call (416) 250-8601 and ask for Mike or Rico. MENTION my name. Will have the 55" price shortly.
Badly need this in Calgary.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1163 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
Hibbing wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 10:07 am
You are the man Hibbing (along with Mike and Rico). If the C8 had HDMI2.1, I would've bit.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

johnmaus, y2tattle