• Dec 7th, 2021 11:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 21, 2019
103 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

LG C1 from Visions or Costco?

Hey everyone. Earlier this week I picked up an LG C1 55" from Visions, the manager dropped the price to $1552 and added a $309 extended warranty, so after taxes it came to $2122. I ran a few numbers with Costco's prices and with their extended warranty which comes out to $2049.80. Am I better off just returning the LG C1 back to Visions (or asking for a price-match) to save $72? I've heard Costco's extended warranty is hassle free but I'm not too familiar with Visions extended warranty. I'd love to get some light shined on this to see if it's worth just getting the TV from Costco. Thanks!
22 replies
Sep 9, 2021
41 posts
21 upvotes
Last year I've dealt with Visions about a repair under warranty for my 65" Samsung and I was not happy with them. You should check your paperwork. In my case it said that that if you need a repair, you need to be within 20 kms of a Visions store. If you're not, you have to pay for someone to come to your house and do repairs. Or drag your TV to a repair shop yourself which could be a problem depending on the size of your TV and car. 55" shouldn't be a problem but the C1 is so thin it might be difficult to get it back in the box safely.

In my case I moved to an area where the closest repair shop is 250 kms away. Visions didn't care at all and gave me the cold shoulder and I had no idea why since I paid for 5 years of warranty and repairs at my house. Turned out they only mention the 20 kms on the back of the receipt, they never mentioned it while I bought the TV and the warranty in store. I wasn't even allowed to send my TV back to them.

Now I'm just waiting to file a no claim request so they can pay me back all the money I paid for the warranty (about $350 for 5 years I think) that I am never going to use. I think I have just under 2 years to go.

I would go for Costco all day long and that's where I bought my C1 and also a Hisense U78G.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1936 posts
791 upvotes
I like the fact that if you don’t use your extended warranty you got through Visions. You get that money back as I store credit to buy something else. I just wish they were a little more forthcoming on the length of time I would be waiting on my new receiver. Was told 2-4 weeks, and as of Sunday it will be 3 months.
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4938 posts
1938 upvotes
Vancouver
Invader Gir wrote: I like the fact that if you don’t use your extended warranty you got through Visions. You get that money back as I store credit to buy something else. I just wish they were a little more forthcoming on the length of time I would be waiting on my new receiver. Was told 2-4 weeks, and as of Sunday it will be 3 months.
Most likely your receiver is floating somewhere off the west coast of North America. It is either on a container ship anchored offshore waiting to be unloaded or is in a submerged container off the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
4392 posts
3201 upvotes
costco is almost unlimited returns and exchanges, until the manager notices that is. no tv panel is perfect and costco is better for exchanges if needs be.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2019
103 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
I'm replacing a Samsung 58" (58NU7100) that I bought in April 2019 but didn't buy the Costco extended warranty and now kicking myself for it. The backlight LED's on the right side of the TV are defective and completely dimmed, so about 12" of the TV is dark while turned on.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1936 posts
791 upvotes
NewsyL wrote: Most likely your receiver is floating somewhere off the west coast of North America. It is either on a container ship anchored offshore waiting to be unloaded or is in a submerged container off the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Oh I know that now, but when I bought my receiver. I was told they had a couple left in their main warehouse and assume they meant Visions warehouse and not Denon’s warehouse overseas. Been told I could expect it any day now, well end of Nov/beginning of Dec. Now what movie do I watch first with my backlog? Thinking Black Widow 3D Japanese import, Kong Vs Godzilla3D, In The Heights 4K, ZS: Justice League 4K, and many more
[external link removed]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6874 posts
7299 upvotes
Vancouver
The Costco 5-year warranty extension is a relative bargain at $100, but keep in mind it's provided by a 3rd party (Asurion) after the first 2 years.
Sep 9, 2021
41 posts
21 upvotes
Invader Gir wrote: Oh I know that now, but when I bought my receiver. I was told they had a couple left in their main warehouse and assume they meant Visions warehouse and not Denon’s warehouse overseas. Been told I could expect it any day now, well end of Nov/beginning of Dec. Now what movie do I watch first with my backlog? Thinking Black Widow 3D Japanese import, Kong Vs Godzilla3D, In The Heights 4K, ZS: Justice League 4K, and many more
It seems all these stores are playing the same game: selling products that they don't have in stock.

I ordered an ONKYO RZ50 receiver from EFLC because they said it was in stock and it would be sent out of their warehouse within 5 days. I specifically asked them this twice and they confirmed. They even offered me a $350 pre order discount. I should have received my receiver exactly 1 month ago, but I still don't have anything. My emails were answered by two different persons and they were both saying different things. I asked them why the first person told me they had stock before and were waiting for now stock, while the second person told me they never had any stock for this specific receiver before. I also asked if the $350 pre order discount was still on, but I never received a reply.

I'm patient (I don't have any other options really), but I feel tricked and lied upon. I just noticed that GIBBY's (another shady store in my opinion) is expecting this receiver December 15. So I can only hope I will receive my order around that time as well.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3282 posts
918 upvotes
Vaughan
Just an fyi, Vision's extended warranties don't cover burn in, if you're worried about that. I'm not sure if Costco's covers burn in either. But i know Vision's doesn't cover it.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6874 posts
7299 upvotes
Vancouver
phuviano wrote: I'm not sure if Costco's covers burn in either.
Mixed reports. Some say no, clearly excluded, other say yes, they were successful in getting a repair/exchange. YMMV.

Don't do foolish things and there should be little danger of burn-in. Usual problem is leaving a game console on the same game display at high brightness day after day with no screen saver for a long time.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2089 posts
1489 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
No brainer, Costco.
Dec 18, 2006
339 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
I paid for 5 year extended warranty from Visions for LG B7 55 inch, the TV needs panel replacement and today Visions declined my warranty even I paid 499 for the extended warranty in 2017. Get it from Best Buy, at least they honour their shit.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3121 posts
1134 upvotes
Lévis
Yeah, seems like Visions prices are low for a reason...
Pourquoi pas?
Sep 9, 2021
41 posts
21 upvotes
clueless999 wrote: I paid for 5 year extended warranty from Visions for LG B7 55 inch, the TV needs panel replacement and today Visions declined my warranty even I paid 499 for the extended warranty in 2017. Get it from Best Buy, at least they honour their shit.
You should really fight this because if you don't do anything, they will get away with it. They will try to discourage you as much as possible so they don't have to pay for it.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
1452 posts
300 upvotes
Edmonton
Invader Gir wrote: I like the fact that if you don’t use your extended warranty you got through Visions. You get that money back as I store credit to buy something else. I just wish they were a little more forthcoming on the length of time I would be waiting on my new receiver. Was told 2-4 weeks, and as of Sunday it will be 3 months.

You get the money back as store credit, but your new purchase has to be at least double the price of your store credit.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1936 posts
791 upvotes
trick91 wrote: You get the money back as store credit, but your new purchase has to be at least double the price of your store credit.
Not too hard to spend $300 at an electronic store. Especially when my phone contract will be up around that time and I like my electronics
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
1452 posts
300 upvotes
Edmonton
Invader Gir wrote: Not too hard to spend $300 at an electronic store. Especially when my phone contract will be up around that time and I like my electronics
Agreed. But it also cannot be used on a negotiated price, nor can it be transferred to anyone else. I didn't know these rules when I purchased my extended warranty originally so it caught be a bit by surprise.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1936 posts
791 upvotes
trick91 wrote: Agreed. But it also cannot be used on a negotiated price, nor can it be transferred to anyone else. I didn't know these rules when I purchased my extended warranty originally so it caught be a bit by surprise.
I only got it for my receiver because of the known HDMI port issues. Which have been worked out now, but always a chance something could still be wrong. Oh and my receiver will now be arriving in in January. I went in to get my mom a 55” LG C1 OLED and ask for my info. Asked if I purchase from them before, yes and waiting on my Denon x6700. Guy servicing me said he thinks they came in, but was the x4700. Checks for more info and an email from 2 days earlier came in reporting that my receiver along with Pioneer, Onkyo and a couple other brands were coming hopefully January :( I miss my movies on my projector
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1936 posts
791 upvotes
trick91 wrote: Agreed. But it also cannot be used on a negotiated price, nor can it be transferred to anyone else. I didn't know these rules when I purchased my extended warranty originally so it caught be a bit by surprise.
I only got it for my receiver because of the known HDMI port issues. Which have been worked out now, but always a chance something could still be wrong. Oh and my receiver will now be arriving in in January. I went in to get my mom a 55” LG C1 OLED and ask for my info. Asked if I purchase from them before, yes and waiting on my Denon x6700. Guy servicing me said he thinks they came in, but was the x4700. Checks for more info and an email from 2 days earlier came in reporting that my receiver along with Pioneer, Onkyo and a couple other brands were coming hopefully January :( I miss my movies on my projector

Oh but the LG looks f#cking amazing
[external link removed]