None
[OP]
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON

LG ends support for LG G2

Wow...with all the hype with the G4...may want to reconsider it since seems LG ends support 14mths after release

No lollipop update for Canadian G2...phone that was released sept 2013

This is why Samsung is only android manufacturer that supports their phones or get a nexus

With HTC just as bad as LG

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=736
73 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6387 posts
3094 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
LandKing wrote: Wow...with all the hype with the G4...may want to reconsider it since seems LG ends support 14mths after release

This is why Samsung is only android manufacturer that supports their phones or get a nexus

Time to root the phone and use roms via XDA. Easiest option by far would be to use the "cyanogen mod installer" which roots the phone and does everything for you. After doing that, installing any rom is a breeze. This way, you can get lollipop on your phone.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
[OP]
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dealseaker101 wrote: Time to root the phone and use roms via XDA. Easiest option by far would be to use the "cyanogen mod installer" which roots the phone and does everything for you. After doing that, installing any rom is a breeze. This way, you can get lollipop on your phone.

LG refused to release lollipop ROM for the phone

Other Roms dont work for the D03
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7673 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
Oo
LandKing wrote: Wow...with all the hype with the G4...may want to reconsider it since seems LG ends support 14mths after release

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=736
5.1 GPE already available for the one m7, an older flagship than the G2. I would say HTC has done far better job of support than LG.

Anyways, no Canadian should consider LG moving forward I guess.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7673 posts
906 upvotes
Toronto
dealseaker101 wrote: Time to root the phone and use roms via XDA. Easiest option by far would be to use the "cyanogen mod installer" which roots the phone and does everything for you. After doing that, installing any rom is a breeze. This way, you can get lollipop on your phone.
And free bugs and a degraded camera too :)
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
Wow thats awfully crappy that LG isnt upgrading the G2 to lollipop. Even my note 3 got it a couple months ago although I will say that after the upgrade to lollipop my note was seriously acting up. Go the point where I had to switch to an S6. Lags, crashes, lags, more crashes...
Dec 26, 2014
686 posts
579 upvotes
ON
That's crap. Maybe you could get an At&t ROM? I have an LG G2 D801 from T-Mobile and I was able to update to lollipop with the LG software suite.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
frogger wrote: Oo

5.1 GPE already available for the one m7, an older flagship than the G2. I would say HTC has done far better job of support than LG.

Anyways, no Canadian should consider LG moving forward I guess.
HTC has said no more support for m7 gpe or not and no 5.1 for other m7

They also ended support for the less than one year old one mini

M8 will get 5.1 maybe by fall and that's it

So its a wash between them.. Surprisingly even Sony manages to support their phones longer even with lower volume
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
568 upvotes
Near Toronto
Yep... I got 5.0.2 on my Xperia Z1 a few weeks ago...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
I hate how many electronics are becoming "throw away" even when the price does not reflect this....

This phone is not very old, and support is ending already? That sucks.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7276 posts
1326 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I wouldn't be surprised if the G3 would end the same way very soon.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1370 upvotes
mmm... my LG tmo G2 D801 is running 5.0.1 officially what makes the D803 so special?
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7276 posts
1326 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
taro-chan wrote: mmm... my LG tmo G2 D801 is running 5.0.1 officially what makes the D803 so special?
D800 - AT&T
D801 - T-Mobile
D802 - International
D803 - Canadian
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12998 posts
7784 upvotes
Brampton
Android phones and support are a 0 sum game.

Good support and people will buy your product, but they will be on a longer product cycle.
Terrible support means people will hate you but you can have a faster product cycle.
This whole race to the bottom for cheap hardware means you can't factor in the support cycle in the cost of the product.

Even Google is a Mofo at support. Yes you can have the 'latest version' of Android on your Nexus for a longer time than most OEMs but like Apple they also shed functionality when a new Nexus is launched (like Apple) but for some reason people don't pick on Google for this.
Recent Examples
'Ok Google from Screen off" - Nexus 4-5 is capable but it's limited to the 6 and 9.
DSP Tunneling - Nexus 5 and up even tho Nexus 4 is capable.
Factory reset protection - Any device is capable but only the 6 & 9 and any 5.1 preinstalled device gets it.
Hardware acceleration Nexus 5 is capable (SD400 and up should do it) but looks like only the 6 & 9 will get it.
Wifi calling - Again Nexus 5 is capable but only the 6.

With Android you're doomed if you do and you're doomed if you don't.

I miss the old days when a phone can have software support for years down the road and it's not dictated by some Omnipotent company's product launch. Just good old fashioned support, what it was sold with and advertised with is how it works you may get new features but it's not guaranteed and each company was responsible for it's own optimization and innovation not all at the hand of 1 company.

Apple is the only one that seems to have the Halo brand power that makes people lust for their newest product no matter what they do and still have the appeal on the older products because it means a ticket in the Apple walled garden.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tebore wrote: Android phones and support are a 0 sum game.

Good support and people will buy your product, but they will be on a longer product cycle.
Terrible support means people will hate you but you can have a faster product cycle.
This whole race to the bottom for cheap hardware means you can't factor in the support cycle in the cost of the product.

Even Google is a Mofo at support. Yes you can have the 'latest version' of Android on your Nexus for a longer time than most OEMs but like Apple they also shed functionality when a new Nexus is launched (like Apple) but for some reason people don't pick on Google for this.
Recent Examples
'Ok Google from Screen off" - Nexus 4-5 is capable but it's limited to the 6 and 9.
DSP Tunneling - Nexus 5 and up even tho Nexus 4 is capable.
Factory reset protection - Any device is capable but only the 6 & 9 and any 5.1 preinstalled device gets it.
Hardware acceleration Nexus 5 is capable (SD400 and up should do it) but looks like only the 6 & 9 will get it.
Wifi calling - Again Nexus 5 is capable but only the 6.

With Android you're doomed if you do and you're doomed if you don't.

I miss the old days when a phone can have software support for years down the road and it's not dictated by some Omnipotent company's product launch. Just good old fashioned support, what it was sold with and advertised with is how it works you may get new features but it's not guaranteed and each company was responsible for it's own optimization and innovation not all at the hand of 1 company.

Apple is the only one that seems to have the Halo brand power that makes people lust for their newest product no matter what they do and still have the appeal on the older products because it means a ticket in the Apple walled garden.
You need to read up on reddit and XDA to educate why some feature's like reset protection is only on nexus 6 and up

There's a lot more to it than just software and chip set
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12998 posts
7784 upvotes
Brampton
LandKing wrote: You need to read up on reddit and XDA to educate why some feature's like reset protection is only on nexus 6 and up

There's a lot more to it than just software and chip set
No YOU need to read up on XDA to educate YOURSELF.

All the features I mentioned can be achieved and some has been achieved by 3rd parties.

Example: The FRP requires the partition tables to changed to a new layout. Maybe it can't be achieved via OTA or not without factory wipe. But that shouldn't be a reason.

Do you even know what CAF is? Go a head I'll wait for you to Google it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6387 posts
3094 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
tebore wrote: Android phones and support are a 0 sum game.

Let me stop you right there. The LG G2 when released, was considered a flagship android phone and was priced as such ($699 outright). This is hardly the case of "race to the bottom".
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12998 posts
7784 upvotes
Brampton
dealseaker101 wrote: Let me stop you right there. The LG G2 when released, was considered a flagship android phone and was priced as such ($699 outright). This is hardly the case of "race to the bottom".
Sure it launched at that price but how many actually sold at that price?

With disappearing carrier subsidies that further compounds the issue.

Look at how quick or should I say slowly Apple's prices drop.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1370 upvotes
SpectralMeat wrote: D800 - AT&T
D801 - T-Mobile
D802 - International
D803 - Canadian
So... Canadian makes it not supported?
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7276 posts
1326 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
taro-chan wrote: So... Canadian makes it not supported?
According to the link in the OP the Canadian version is not getting Lollipop update, even though the other versions has it.