LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2014 10:53 am
[OP]
May 8, 2003
191 posts
40 upvotes

LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition

I'm going to buy this LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition, but only available for US play store. Any idea how much it is, and how can I order this in Canada, and ship to my cousin's address in the States?
http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-V51 ... ay-edition

Thanks in advance for your help!
17 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43444 posts
7292 upvotes
Avenger wrote: Order it with a usa account from the usa with a usa credit card and billing address. Thats how I got mine.
Query, how easy is it to get a US credit card?
Blanka
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34593 posts
8151 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have a US credit card with a Canadian address.

Is there a retail store in the US that sells this? I will be in the US in two weeks and I want one too.
Mar 7, 2011
103 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
Google IO is about 2 months away, where they will probably announce the new iteration of the Nexus 7, so may be worthwhile waiting.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3236 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
I have wanted the G Pad GPE for a while as well, but then the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 has made me rethink:

[QUOTE]The Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 is by no means the only 8-inch tablet on the market, but it has enough going for it to stand out from the pack. When compared to the LG G Pad 8.3, for instance, it's just as well-designed, but sports a much higher screen resolution (2,560 x 1,600 compared to the LG's 1,920 x 1,200) and is faster thanks to a Snapdragon 800 processor (the G Pad has a Snapdragon 600 chip). Seeing as how the G Pad 8.3 is almost just as pricey at around $350, we'd give the edge to Samsung on this one.[/QUOTE]
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/12/sams ... -4-review/

I've also seen plenty of user reports of a yellow tint to the screen and very low screen brightness. Other than that, the G Pad seems like a great device, especially in GPE form where it gets the benefit of Google support and updates.

Would love the Nexus 7 if it came as a Nexus 8! The 7 is just too small for me.

Btw, if you are absolutely set on the G Pad, you can always look on Ebay for GPE versions. A bit of a market there since it doesn't sell through Google in Canada. Expect to pay a bit of premium, though.

Edit: Actually now that I do a search on Ebay I can't find any GPE versions (V510), so maybe that's not an option. Saw some there a few months ago.
[OP]
May 8, 2003
191 posts
40 upvotes
Little Tim wrote: I have wanted the G Pad GPE for a while as well, but then the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 has made me rethink:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/12/sams ... -4-review/

I've also seen plenty of user reports of a yellow tint to the screen and very low screen brightness. Other than that, the G Pad seems like a great device, especially in GPE form where it gets the benefit of Google support and updates.

Would love the Nexus 7 if it came as a Nexus 8! The 7 is just too small for me.

Btw, if you are absolutely set on the G Pad, you can always look on Ebay for GPE versions. A bit of a market there since it doesn't sell through Google in Canada. Expect to pay a bit of premium, though.

Edit: Actually now that I do a search on Ebay I can't find any GPE versions (V510), so maybe that's not an option. Saw some there a few months ago.
I've considered the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 too, I'm set for 8" android tablet, so Nexus 7 is out of the question. I'm heading to the States in May, want to order this due to the GPE, so the updates arecoming up much faster than Samsung. I don't want to lock down with Samsung built in apps & slow updates, but I'm tempted with Samsung battery life.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
1228 posts
650 upvotes
Ottawa
yogababe wrote: I've considered the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 too, I'm set for 8" android tablet, so Nexus 7 is out of the question. I'm heading to the States in May, want to order this due to the GPE, so the updates arecoming up much faster than Samsung. I don't want to lock down with Samsung built in apps & slow updates, but I'm tempted with Samsung battery life.
I just bought a Tab 8.4 yesterday at BB ($360 open box). It replaces a 10" Toshiba Tablet. I too thought the Nexus 7 was too small and find the 8.4 the perfect size. The high-res screen means I don't have to zoom-in to read webpages and magazines while still having a small and light form factor.

The performance is comparable to my Nexus 5. The Tab 8.4 has a couple of Flipboard-like pages that I though made the tablet lag a bit. After removing one of them (you can't get rid of the other one) the lag was pretty much gone. I would have preferred a stock Android experience and will likely install a launcher. I just ignore the Samsung apps.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17867 posts
1434 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
yow2kvil wrote: I just bought a Tab 8.4 yesterday at BB ($360 open box). It replaces a 10" Toshiba Tablet. I too thought the Nexus 7 was too small and find the 8.4 the perfect size. The high-res screen means I don't have to zoom-in to read webpages and magazines while still having a small and light form factor.

The performance is comparable to my Nexus 5. The Tab 8.4 has a couple of Flipboard-like pages that I though made the tablet lag a bit. After removing one of them (you can't get rid of the other one) the lag was pretty much gone. I would have preferred a stock Android experience and will likely install a launcher. I just ignore the Samsung apps.
Sounds good. I have been looking at the LG G Pad 8.3 for a while, but its price has not MOVED AT ALL in at least 3 months, so considering the Tab Pro 8.4 can be had for $390 right now, its probably the better choice.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
1228 posts
650 upvotes
Ottawa
konfusion666 wrote: Sounds good. I have been looking at the LG G Pad 8.3 for a while, but its price has not MOVED AT ALL in at least 3 months, so considering the Tab Pro 8.4 can be had for $390 right now, its probably the better choice.
Just to add that I have since side-loaded the Google Now launcher any lag I had with the stock launcher is now gone. I also like that Samsung lets you install apps to the SD card.

The only negative I have is that the back panel is a bit slippery.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17867 posts
1434 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
yow2kvil wrote: Just to add that I have since side-loaded the Google Now launcher any lag I had with the stock launcher is now gone. I also like that Samsung lets you install apps to the SD card.

The only negative I have is that the back panel is a bit slippery.
Is the 16GB version enough? Is there a 32gb version available? Also, I've heard with kitkat it's harder for us to install stuff onto the SD?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
1228 posts
650 upvotes
Ottawa
konfusion666 wrote: Is the 16GB version enough? Is there a 32gb version available? Also, I've heard with kitkat it's harder for us to install stuff onto the SD?
That's depends on your needs. 16G + SD is fine with me. I mostly stream my videos and music and don't have many games.

A 32G version is supposed to be available but I haven't seen one.

Samsung has hacked KitKit to make it easier to move stuff the the SD card. Though I really haven't tried moving files other than apps yet.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2012
1191 posts
46 upvotes
NORTH YORK
1. Go to the BestBuy or FutureShop webstore
2. Purchase LG G Pad
3. Wait for delivery (or pick it up from your local store)
4. Root it
5. Flash a custom ROM
6. ???????
7. PROFIT

GPE devices are unnecessary. AOSP-based custom ROMs are 10000x better than stock AOSP and I have no idea why people are so crazy about stock AOSP. The ONLY thing that stock AOSP has over any other ROM is timely updates.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
IamToronto wrote: 1. Go to the BestBuy or FutureShop webstore
2. Purchase LG G Pad
3. Wait for delivery (or pick it up from your local store)
4. Root it
5. Flash a custom ROM
6. ???????
7. PROFIT

GPE devices are unnecessary. AOSP-based custom ROMs are 10000x better than stock AOSP and I have no idea why people are so crazy about stock AOSP. The ONLY thing that stock AOSP has over any other ROM is timely updates.
Any ROM you flash that is not built for that hardware by an oem WILL cause you headaches at some point. I have ran many aosp ROM flavors on sone of my android devices, and it would be all nice for a couple of months and then BAM, some bug gets the chance to screw things up. Always happens. Heck it seems to happen with google edition Roms too which should have the best compatibility.

Personally, I want things to just work. I can still tinker with stuff, but to be honest I dont have time for that. I want to be relaxing, reading a book, watching something, spending time with someone than preparing titanium backups that will not go crazy (that's a story for another discussion) or flashing manual ROM updates or bug fixes. It is just annoying. Sure it takes maybe 5-10 minutes at times, but it annoys the heck out of me. I hate it so much now that I am only buying a nexus or moto device next time.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2477 posts
569 upvotes
So if I go to the U.S. to buy this on Black Friday and bring it home, my usual google play sign in won't work? Am thinking about this for when we go down but don't want to be limited in not being able to download anything...
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17867 posts
1434 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
redsfan wrote: So if I go to the U.S. to buy this on Black Friday and bring it home, my usual google play sign in won't work? Am thinking about this for when we go down but don't want to be limited in not being able to download anything...
nah, it should work fine.

i bought my Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4 @ staples.ca, but I flashed it with an official USA Samsung firmware, so it's basically identical to a US-sold galaxy tab pro now.
I have absolutely no problems logging into Google Play with my "canadian" google account.