Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
250 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary

LG G5 vs Samsung S7

Title says it all. We're having a phone refresh at our work place and they have given the latest and greatest options of smartphones to select from. Two of them include the latest two devices.

- From what we've all seen, Samsung has made a hek of a cell phone with the S7, it has to be the best smartphone they have ever made. It's pretty much perfect in every way you can think of
- On the other hand is the LG G5, while there are many controversial posts about the finish and design of the phones, and some might find it ugly, it definitely looks like a very good phone LG has come out with.
- Coming from an LG G3, based on the screen size alone, I'd probably stick with the G5 more, but I've had a chance to use a S7 in a store and honestly I can get used to it, my wife has a S6, and I don't think the screen is a lot smaller than the G3.
- I've also researched and seen the Exynos processor being better in RAM management than the Snappy 820.
- In terms of UI, yes Samsung has come a long way with their touchwiz ui and improved it drastically on the S7, and LG taking out the app drawer is lame, but let's face it, most of us probably install a 3rd party launcher and I'm probably going to be getting Nova.

- Camera, I do take the occasional photo, but I don't rely on a cellphone camera at all, both phones offer pretty good cameras.

So with all that said, is there any reason to choose the G5 over the S7? Yes LG's battery is slightly smaller than Samsung's, but will it make much of a difference? And will it be an issue having a non-removable battery in the future. Obviously no one knows how long I work here, but in terms of future, what would you pick..

I had pretty much decided on the S7, then I got told we also now have the G5 to choose from and the decision issues all came back lol..
8 replies
Nov 16, 2012
655 posts
180 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Honestly, I've played with both, and although it pains me to say it, go with the S7.

I applaud LG for trying something out of the box, but they definitely rushed the release of the device. The S7 is just on a whole other level when it comes to refinement, build quality, aesthetics and software. Also, LG phones in general have not had the best battery life, and although yes the battery is removable, reviews have showed that the S7 can outlast the G5 on a single charge. Camera on the S7 in general, especially when it comes to image stabilization and low-light performance is far superior as well.

The whole modular angle, IMO, will not be a success, because I doubt LG will be able to garner the 3rd party support they had originally hoped for. To sum it up, the G5 is kinda like the S6; an experiment and although is drastically different from it predecessor, waiting for the successor will most likely give you a much more complete and refined device.

EDIT: In case it matters, I am an LG G4 user.
Aug 14, 2013
75 posts
37 upvotes
infamousdealer wrote: Honestly, I've played with both, and although it pains me to say it, go with the S7.

EDIT: In case it matters, I am an LG G4 user.

Given a choice, would you get an S7 or G5 over the G4 today if the price difference is $300-$400?
Those new phones are nice, but I'm not really sure they are $$$ much better.
Nov 16, 2012
655 posts
180 upvotes
VANCOUVER
SleepyInTO wrote: Given a choice, would you get an S7 or G5 over the G4 today if the price difference is $300-$400?
Those new phones are nice, but I'm not really sure they are $$$ much better.
The S7 is grossly overpriced, definitely not worth $899, even though it is the better phone. The difficulty in justifying the G5 from the G4, is the fact that the camera and screen are almost identical, and although the performance of the chipset is better, unless you're gaming and multi-tasking like crazy, how can you justify an upgrade just based on that? I know that the wide-angle lens is there as well, and although it is cool, IMO, doesn't justify the upgrade either.

That's why for me personally, I'm waiting for the HTC 10, hoping that they can knock it out of the park, as I'm getting tired of the G4.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18725 posts
2450 upvotes
Woodbridge
It's amazing what happens after a year or is it a few months. :) The S7 or even better the S7 edge. Performance. I don't bother, I doubt one can tell the difference between these two flagships. This goes for the Camera as well, unless you're a serious Photographer one is putting too much focus on it. Seriously, majority will be uploading it to social networks.

infamousdealer said it best. The G5 is like the S6, trying to experiment. Hopefully, if it does fail they can bounce back and stick to what works. Samsung listened.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
250 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
Just to reclarify, I'm not buying anything, as stated above it's a phone refresh our company is doing..

@infamousdealer, sometimes it takes a few words to convince someone... I'm pretty sure now on the s7. You nailed it, the g5 is like a s6, it'll take lg one more year to create a better design.. There's also rumors on a more beefier lg5e or so, which I won't be surprised may improve on the design.

On the battery life, all I'll say is even a smaller battery will benefit from Android 6 doze feature.. I have Cm13 on my g3, I'm really happy with the standby time...

Done deal, decision made...
Feb 16, 2014
737 posts
168 upvotes
London
mlallany wrote: Just to reclarify, I'm not buying anything, as stated above it's a phone refresh our company is doing..

@infamousdealer, sometimes it takes a few words to convince someone... I'm pretty sure now on the s7. You nailed it, the g5 is like a s6, it'll take lg one more year to create a better design.. There's also rumors on a more beefier lg5e or so, which I won't be surprised may improve on the design.

On the battery life, all I'll say is even a smaller battery will benefit from Android 6 doze feature.. I have Cm13 on my g3, I'm really happy with the standby time...

Done deal, decision made...
If Samsung is straight flash,HTC 10 will be top straight flash.If you play poker,you will know what I meant. :D
[OP]
Dec 1, 2012
250 posts
31 upvotes
Calgary
esfandiyar2002 wrote: If Samsung is straight flash,HTC 10 will be top straight flash.If you play poker,you will know what I meant. :D
I'm not a poker guy.. I think you meant flush, and I'm guessing you mean HTC being the ace here?
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1309 posts
76 upvotes
Montreal
infamousdealer wrote: The S7 is grossly overpriced, definitely not worth $899, even though it is the better phone. The difficulty in justifying the G5 from the G4, is the fact that the camera and screen are almost identical, and although the performance of the chipset is better, unless you're gaming and multi-tasking like crazy, how can you justify an upgrade just based on that? I know that the wide-angle lens is there as well, and although it is cool, IMO, doesn't justify the upgrade either.

That's why for me personally, I'm waiting for the HTC 10, hoping that they can knock it out of the park, as I'm getting tired of the G4.
I find it a bit weird that you're saying S7 over G5.

I myself used to have the S3 and since last year I have the S6. Android 6.0.1 came out yesterday on the S6 but it came out 2 months ago in February. With the sales Samsung have, they should do a better job for updates.