Expired Hot Deals

Costco

LG gram 17" 17Z90N Laptop, i5-1035G7, 16GB, 512GB $1399.99 ($400 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 9:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4935 posts
8133 upvotes
Canada

[Costco] LG gram 17" 17Z90N Laptop, i5-1035G7, 16GB, 512GB $1399.99 ($400 off)

Three pound 17 inch laptop. $400 off, two days only.

I'm guessing you can probably get 4-5% bonus cash back too through Costco mastercard as per here: costco-costco-ca-bonus-cash-back-july-1 ... 5-2389121/

Processor and Memory:
10th generation Intel® Core™ i5-1035G7 processor
16 GB DDR4

Drives:
512 GB SSD
No optical drive
microSD card reader

Display and Video Graphics:
17 in. WQXGA display (2560 × 1600) IPS
Intel® Iris® Plus graphics

Communication:
Wi-Fi 6 + Bluetooth® 5.0
HD web camera

Keyboard and Pointing Device:
English-only backlit keyboard
Multi-gesture touchpad
Fingerprint reader

Ports:
1 × Thunderbolt™ 3
3 × USB 3.1
1 × HDMI®
1 × headphone jack

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows® 10 Home

Specifications:
Dimensions (W × D × H): 38.1 cm × 26.2 cm × 1.8 cm (15 in. × 10.3 in. × 0.7 in.)
Weight (approximate): 1.4 kg (3.0 lb.)
Last edited by Blubbs on Jul 13th, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
37 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4935 posts
8133 upvotes
Canada
danzerino wrote: Same price in store?
No idea, I don't go out lol
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2392 posts
2419 upvotes
Ottawa
Wish this was the touch version (actually, my wallet is happy it is not)
Sep 3, 2009
840 posts
543 upvotes
Calgary
Wish it has a AMD 4700U processor
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2032 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
danzerino wrote: Same price in store?
It was last time around.

I bought this online to get Aeroplan points since it was the same price but UPS shipping, ugh.

I gave this to my wife and got the Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7 instead. While I love the LG, what I found I don't like about having a numeric keypad is the off centre typing. Also the trackpad, while it's pretty good, is positioned right in the middle. The material is very light and plastic feeling but it is a soft metal which I really like BUT it scratches real easy. Otherwise, great laptop if you really want the screen real estate but it just ended up being a bit too big and awkward for me. At least my wife is happy.
Last edited by lg777 on Jul 13th, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 26, 2007
786 posts
187 upvotes
Thanks OP. Missed out on this when it was on sale before (same price). I just received the $1099 Ryzen 4700 HP 15.6, but think it’s a little on the heavy side and don’t need a touchscreen, pen, and it really needs more RAM than 8gb
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3417 posts
3549 upvotes
Montreal
Yes I went in the store and it is on sale for the same price. The display is superrrr thinnnn and the whole build feels super cheap. Did not buy it feels like a $500 laptop not a almost 1.5k laptop. I get they wanted to make it light but it feels like a toy. Could have used some metal or aluminum to make it sturdier.
Dec 17, 2017
52 posts
69 upvotes
Yeah I agree. I think this is a good laptop for a very specific use case (someone who requires a 17" laptop but wants the absolute thinnest/lightest with that option).

The flex in the body and screen is pretty dramatic on this laptop.
Nov 26, 2007
786 posts
187 upvotes
benjarvus wrote: Yeah I agree. I think this is a good laptop for a very specific use case (someone who requires a 17" laptop but wants the absolute thinnest/lightest with that option).

The flex in the body and screen is pretty dramatic on this laptop.
Is there something else that is 15.6-17", under 3.5-4lbs with a superior build quality?
Dec 17, 2017
52 posts
69 upvotes
mavrik13 wrote: Is there something else that is 15.6-17", under 3.5-4lbs with a superior build quality?
That’s what I mean. If you need something like this, it’s a great deal. Once I tried it in person you realize it’s kind of a one trick pony, and you might want to consider something slightly thicker and heavier for a more solid build.
Dec 30, 2006
301 posts
230 upvotes
Oakville
Thanks OP
I was disappointed I missed the last LG gram sale (it sold out when I finally decided to try it) and now with the additional 4.5% if paying with my new costco mastercard, this is even better :) I figured, I can return it if I change my mind with Costco's great return policy.

I'm not sure honestly what I want in a laptop b/c I seem to want powerful gaming rig that has incredible battery life and is ultrabook format and yet large screen with Numpad on keyboard to make work easier... lol, are you seeing my paradoxical specs list???!!!

So realistically, for work based portable computer with the benefits of large screen (LG screens usually good and 369 nits pretty bright and higher than usual resolution) and nice keyboard/pad layout for work and long battery life, it will meet my needs. Sure, not gaming or very powerful if I want multimedia processing, but i guess i'll have to live with this since most of my time on laptop is work anyway... i'll game on my ALienware desktop when I do get the time. I have to just let the dream of gaming while vacationing be a dream b/c it really is just a dream at this time with COVID practically not making travel worth considering... and i guess i can live with not gaming if i do get back to going on vacation since hey, i'm on vacation, and I should be doing something different than staring at a screen that I can do at home (i'll be staring at screen working on vacation anyway i'm sure, sigh...).

Thanks again OP.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12006 posts
108113 upvotes
Ontario
over 100+ likes in April 2020.
Sold out within several days.

Now, they restocked them and it is on sale again.

8 (1).jpg
9 (1).jpg
10 (1).jpg
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2009
1018 posts
108 upvotes
Been looking for a laptop which has good performance for work productivity—no gaming, crypto mining or graphics work. Just one with a nice screen (would not use touchscreen at all) and good performance. However my concern is that it’s an i5 and that I should just hold out until back to school for something with a Ryzen in it. Also doesn’t have USB-C which would be nice for a little future proofing (as much as one can with computers).

Don’t really need much space on an SSD and 16GB of RAM should be plenty to handle large spreadsheets.

Advice appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
6302 posts
1545 upvotes
Bought this last time around. Very good laptop. Very light and portable. Great for work. Definitely worth it
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5042 posts
2031 upvotes
Vancouver
Hyper9 wrote: By 2020 standards it's pretty meh. Was a good deal last year but pricey for i5 in 2020 and no USB-C. Unless you need it right now I will suggest people wait for BTS deals.
no USB-C ?

It has a Thunderbolt 3 port. Not the same or not compatible to USB-C?

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/laptops/lg-17Z90N-VAA72A8

Thunderbolt™ 3
Charge, Transfer and Display with One Port
Thunderbolt™ port allows up to 5k display, data transfer with speed up to 40Gb/s bandwidth and charging connected device without a separate power cable all at the same time over a single cable.

Ports and Connections

HDMI (Standard) Yes
USB 3.1 Type-C Yes
USB 3.1 Yes (3)
UFS/Micro-SD Yes
Headphone Out Yes
RJ45 Ethernet Yes (USB-C port with RJ45 gender)
DC-In Yes

This might work for me. I need a new laptop for work travel - documents, email, and browsing; no gaming - that is light and occasionally may be used to post process images. Might be a a bit big to stuff under the seat on an aircraft though. It has to be faster than my current 2014 vintage 8G i7-4700U

Depending on which review you read the screen gamut coverage is pretty good - about 95 to 99%.