Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

LG gram 17" 17Z90N Laptop, i5-1035G7, 16GB, 512GB $1399.99 ($400 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 9:50 am
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7176 posts
3262 upvotes
GTA
Let me try to save some of you time, i am talking about the ones that got your fingers on your keyboard and ready to complain:
- it's only i5
- it's too big
- it's not 4k
- it's 2020, laptops should be paper thin and 12" or $299
- it has no USB C
- it feels flimsy
- it doesn't have dedicated graphics
- it only has 512GB SSD and my grandma's computer has a 1TB HDD
- I've owned a LG fridge/TV/Phone before and it sucks, so I am not buying a laptop from them
- It's too expensive, I'll wait until second wave of covid and they will beg us to take it

I don't know what else I missed.

This is an awesome laptop for those that are looking for a workhorse of this size. From the old thread, this sums it up nicely:
costco-lg-gram-17-17z90n-laptop-i5-1035 ... #p32459301
Nov 20, 2018
20 posts
34 upvotes
cy wrote: Let me try to save some of you time, i am talking about the ones that got your fingers on your keyboard and ready to complain:
- it's only i5
- it's too big
- it's not 4k
- it's 2020, laptops should be paper thin and 12" or $299
- it has no USB C
- it feels flimsy
- it doesn't have dedicated graphics
- it only has 512GB SSD and my grandma's computer has a 1TB HDD
- I've owned a LG fridge/TV/Phone before and it sucks, so I am not buying a laptop from them
- It's too expensive, I'll wait until second wave of covid and they will beg us to take it

I don't know what else I missed.

This is an awesome laptop for those that are looking for a workhorse of this size. From the old thread, this sums it up nicely:
costco-lg-gram-17-17z90n-laptop-i5-1035 ... #p32459301
LG is also apart of the Illuminati
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7146 posts
176 upvotes
Nepean
NewsyL wrote: no USB-C ?

It has a Thunderbolt 3 port. Not the same or not compatible to USB-C?

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/laptops/lg-17Z90N-VAA72A8

Thunderbolt™ 3
Charge, Transfer and Display with One Port
Thunderbolt™ port allows up to 5k display, data transfer with speed up to 40Gb/s bandwidth and charging connected device without a separate power cable all at the same time over a single cable.

Ports and Connections

HDMI (Standard) Yes
USB 3.1 Type-C Yes
USB 3.1 Yes (3)
UFS/Micro-SD Yes
Headphone Out Yes
RJ45 Ethernet Yes (USB-C port with RJ45 gender)
DC-In Yes

This might work for me. I need a new laptop for work travel - documents, email, and browsing; no gaming - that is light and occasionally may be used to post process images. Might be a a bit big to stuff under the seat on an aircraft though. It has to be faster than my current 2014 vintage 8G i7-4700U

Depending on which review you read the screen gamut coverage is pretty good - about 95 to 99%.

Thunderbolt 3 uses the same connector as usb c but at a much higher bandwidth and power. So you can definitely plug in regular usb device as well.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19388 posts
8082 upvotes
Toronto
Bought it the last round, other than its weight, it’s terrible
Realtor - Investment Properties
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
1667 posts
229 upvotes
benjarvus wrote: That’s what I mean. If you need something like this, it’s a great deal. Once I tried it in person you realize it’s kind of a one trick pony, and you might want to consider something slightly thicker and heavier for a more solid build.
Same feeling here. Plus the keystroke is too shallow. It's a big turnoff to me
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18013 posts
10784 upvotes
Ottawa
danzerino wrote: Yes I went in the store and it is on sale for the same price. The display is superrrr thinnnn and the whole build feels super cheap. Did not buy it feels like a $500 laptop not a almost 1.5k laptop. I get they wanted to make it light but it feels like a toy. Could have used some metal or aluminum to make it sturdier.
Huh?
Proven Durability
The full metal body made from magnesium alloy used as aircraft material is lightweight and super-strong. Its durability is clarified by passing the demanding MIL-STD-810G military standard of durability and reliability that checks seven factors from shock and dust to extreme temperatures.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Dec 23, 2015
368 posts
238 upvotes
Kingston, ON
warpdrive wrote: Huh?
Marketing BS, check it out at costco, it feels like plastic and the keyboard bends when typed.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5067 posts
8392 upvotes
Canada
Sorry to those who don't like it, I've never seen nor used it, just saw the deal and thought some would appreciate it.
Dec 23, 2015
368 posts
238 upvotes
Kingston, ON
EvilMonkey25 wrote: Been looking for a laptop which has good performance for work productivity—no gaming, crypto mining or graphics work. Just one with a nice screen (would not use touchscreen at all) and good performance. However my concern is that it’s an i5 and that I should just hold out until back to school for something with a Ryzen in it. Also doesn’t have USB-C which would be nice for a little future proofing (as much as one can with computers).

Don’t really need much space on an SSD and 16GB of RAM should be plenty to handle large spreadsheets.

Advice appreciated.
I've been running an older i5 on my laptop, I use a lot of VM's and simulating routers. The i5 is very capable, the only bottle neck I've had is the 8gb of ram my laptop currently has.
Dec 23, 2015
368 posts
238 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Blubbs wrote: Sorry to those who don't like it, I've never seen nor used it, just saw the deal and thought some would appreciate it.
To each their own poision, it's a great laptop on paper. But complainers just wish it was sturdier.

Anyone saying "but mah ryzen" is just a fan boy.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18013 posts
10784 upvotes
Ottawa
syntaxerror wrote: Marketing BS, check it out at costco, it feels like plastic and the keyboard bends when typed.
Whether it flexes or not or feels like plastic I don’t know, just pointing out it’s made of metal
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5067 posts
8392 upvotes
Canada
Just a reminder that skyscrapers are built to sway in the wind, lol
Nov 25, 2017
46 posts
35 upvotes
If any body bought one and is not pleased with it, let me know. Instead of returning it, I can buy it for the same price that you paid.
Nov 26, 2007
788 posts
197 upvotes
Just received my package... opened it up... and it's a LG gram 15, not 17! What a bummer. Got it sorted out with Costco over the phone, but have to do a complex return, purchase, price match to original price process... and the computer is coming from a different depot, so instead of 3 days, probably will take longer.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1869 posts
474 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
I ordered i7, 17 inch version. Surprise gift for wife. Lets see. I know ryzen is all the hype but i7 will be plenty enough for her use and toich screen will be just fingerprint magnet and i think bigger screen size will be better for productivity and no need to hook it up to a monitor if using smaller screen laptop at home.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1869 posts
474 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
Picked up the laptop, price was over budget at 1,699+tax for i7 unit but laptop is amazing.
Played with it and its super light and fan noise is quiet and 16:10 ratio makes screen look bigger.

Little size comparison with laptop from 2007 (still works btw) its a 15.6 inch laptop but some how 17 inch lg looks and feels smaller. Overall wife is happy with the gift :)
20200724_231931.jpg
20200724_234526.jpg
20200724_234511.jpg
20200724_234941.jpg
20200724_235114.jpg
Last edited by smrtphur on Jul 25th, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 13, 2004
302 posts
85 upvotes
I owned this laptop. The screen was amazing and 2K resolution was perfect, it truly was very light and portable. While the body wasn’t as rigid as aluminum, it was fine for my taste. Battery life was outstanding. Keyboard and speakers were fine, nothing too special.

I did unfortunately end up returning it as the CPU wasn’t fast enough for my workflow. This i5 in the LG is only running at 15W... perfectly fine for office apps and surfing but was a challenge for me in some tasks (Eg Live encoding video). I ended up getting a laptop with an H-series processor.

Bottom line, this LG while big performs like a ultrabook thats been enlarged, not a full size laptop. If it wasn’t for my specific needs, I’d still own it and do recommend it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)