Computers & Electronics

LG OLED B9 vs Vizio PX65-G1

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2020 11:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 16, 2003
808 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary

LG OLED B9 vs Vizio PX65-G1

Similar to a previous thread. Costco has the LG OLED B9 and Vizio PX65-G1 on sale. I am wondering what your thoughts are about these two TVs.

My family typically does not watch a lot of sports, however we will watch the Stanley Cup playoffs. We do like to watch action movies, and news TV stations. From my research the OLED is an exceptional TV, but can have burn-in issues. The manufacturers warranty does not cover burn-in.

The Vizio is supposed to be a pretty good TV. From what I've read it's one of the best QLED TVs on the market, but off-centre viewing is an issue. My family room is such that we have a couch on the side of the room at about a 45 degree angle from the centre of the TV.

We still have DVDs that we watch (480p) and we sometimes use Plex to watch 720p content. I'd like to know if upscaling is an issue on either of these TVs.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2340 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
volan wrote: Similar to a previous thread. Costco has the LG OLED B9 and Vizio PX65-G1 on sale. I am wondering what your thoughts are about these two TVs.

My family typically does not watch a lot of sports, however we will watch the Stanley Cup playoffs. We do like to watch action movies, and news TV stations. From my research the OLED is an exceptional TV, but can have burn-in issues. The manufacturers warranty does not cover burn-in.

The Vizio is supposed to be a pretty good TV. From what I've read it's one of the best QLED TVs on the market, but off-centre viewing is an issue. My family room is such that we have a couch on the side of the room at about a 45 degree angle from the centre of the TV.

We still have DVDs that we watch (480p) and we sometimes use Plex to watch 720p content. I'd like to know if upscaling is an issue on either of these TVs.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Check RTINGS

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

I have a vizio m60-c3 60 inch and it was a great tv for 5 years....well worth the $1500 I paid .....im now shopping too

im going with either samsung , sony or vizio again....

Vizio is hard to beat for the price
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
13566 posts
4673 upvotes
Ottawa
45 degree angle may be problematic. It would drive me crazy to see the colours shifting, but if you already have a LCD tv, you might be used to it already?

burn in is a concern, but we've been using plasma for the last 15 years and it hasn't been an issue. Hopefully with OLED it will be about the same.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17777 posts
4367 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't had any burn-in for my ancient LG plasma, and I haven't had any burn-in with my 2018 LG OLED either.

To me, Vizio is still a 2nd tier brand. Vizio has worse processing and upscaling than LG (which isn't the best in the first place compared to Sony), with a history of firmware problems and less than stellar QA.

Given the above and if off-axis viewing is important to you, IMO the choice is easy. Get the LG OLED.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2007
1072 posts
804 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
EugW wrote: I haven't had any burn-in for my ancient LG plasma, and I haven't had any burn-in with my 2018 LG OLED either.

To me, Vizio is still a 2nd tier brand. Vizio has worse processing and upscaling than LG (which isn't the best in the first place compared to Sony), with a history of firmware problems and less than stellar QA.

Given the above and if off-axis viewing is important to you, IMO the choice is easy. Get the LG OLED.
Funny you mention an LG plasma. That's what I had since 2012 and it just got burn in a few months ago. But yeah, it is a real thing for oleds too, but the picture on the oled is just so nice. I heard lowering the brightness can help prolong burn-in as well. Viewing angles are superior and I think LG oleds are the brightest compared to Sony at least. Which could be a reason why Sony has less burn in complaints over LG even though they both use LG panels. Some lcd tvs (Samsung and some Sonys) have better viewing angles but give up black levels and contrast in doing so. If you don't mind returning a tv, get the Vizio and try it out. If no good, then get the LG.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 16, 2003
808 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary
I was considering getting the LG and returning it if I didn't like it, but I don't think 90 days is long enough to look at burn-in, so I might take your advice and get the Vizio. If viewing angle is an issue I can return it and wait for the Samsung QN65Q70T to go on sale.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17777 posts
4367 upvotes
Toronto
kwk1 wrote: Funny you mention an LG plasma. That's what I had since 2012 and it just got burn in a few months ago. But yeah, it is a real thing for oleds too, but the picture on the oled is just so nice. I heard lowering the brightness can help prolong burn-in as well. Viewing angles are superior and I think LG oleds are the brightest compared to Sony at least. Which could be a reason why Sony has less burn in complaints over LG even though they both use LG panels. Some lcd tvs (Samsung and some Sonys) have better viewing angles but give up black levels and contrast in doing so. If you don't mind returning a tv, get the Vizio and try it out. If no good, then get the LG.
Sony's auto-brightness limiter kicks in sooner than than LG's.
volan wrote: I was considering getting the LG and returning it if I didn't like it, but I don't think 90 days is long enough to look at burn-in, so I might take your advice and get the Vizio. If viewing angle is an issue I can return it and wait for the Samsung QN65Q70T to go on sale.
Viewing angles are problematic on any VA panels, although some are better than others.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 16, 2003
808 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary
It's too bad Costco does not have the Samsung Q80, it apparently has much better viewing angles.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2007
1072 posts
804 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
volan wrote: It's too bad Costco does not have the Samsung Q80, it apparently has much better viewing angles.
Yeah, looks like the Q80r has Ultra Viewing Angle but not the Q70r. Sony's 950G only has it on the 75 and 85 inch sets.
I just got the Sony 900F and it's fine but I sit right in front so viewing angles are not a concern for me.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 16, 2003
808 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary
I've ordered the Vizio, let's see what it looks like. But I still wonder about burn-in on the LG. How much newsTV do you have to watch before the ticker and logo are burnt in?
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2007
1072 posts
804 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
volan wrote: I've ordered the Vizio, let's see what it looks like. But I still wonder about burn-in on the LG. How much newsTV do you have to watch before the ticker and logo are burnt in?
Burn in is tough to predict. It's a combination of screen brightness, what you watch, static images like news CNN logos, and age of the tv. Some people get it after 1 year of use. Just do a search of oled burn in and you can find lots of reading. Hopefully the Vizio is good for you, enjoy your new tv!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2340 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
volan wrote: I've ordered the Vizio, let's see what it looks like. But I still wonder about burn-in on the LG. How much newsTV do you have to watch before the ticker and logo are burnt in?
I think you'll like it....what did you pay and from where?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 16, 2003
808 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary
$1800 from Costco. It'll be delivered on Thursday.
I was originally looking at the Vizio P659-G1 for $1500, but it seems that the PX is superior in many categories.

So, fingers crossed that my 480p DVDs and 720p content don't look awful and that the angle-viewing is not too terrible.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26591 posts
6880 upvotes
volan wrote: Thoughts? Recommendations?
1. The LG OLED is the better TV IMO. Not only that, if you're talking about viewing at an angle it's over for the [VA] LCD before it started, lol. Even with an IPS LCD TV you'd have good viewing angle performance but the shitty contrast will make it pale (and really pale) in comparison to the OLED. The Vizio will get much brighter though so it's better for HDR and better for bright rooms but your concern seems more about angles and in this case the OLED takes the prize.

Only reason not to go with the OLED is if burn is a concern for you--I'd never recommend them for PC, gaming use, even partial. That's actually why I did not get an OLED TV, and probably never will. Yeah yeah I know there are people that game on them, but nah I'm not taking the chance with a few thousand bucks invested, no thanks.

2. Don't watch DVDs. They're terrible quality all around, were always a stop-gap solution and have been just plain junk for over 10 years now. And FTLO everything good, definitely don't watch these on a 2nd tier make like Vizio, Hisense, or TCL. These brands make some solid TVs at their price points, don't get me wrong but even the Vizio PX sucks donkey balls for upscaling. They're fine for 1080p because this is a real simple conversion to 4K but for 720p and below they are bad like quite bad in comparison to the 1st tier (Sony, Samsung, LG). DVD is so bad it's unreal. Displaying this on a 4K panel is never a good idea, even on a 1st tier set with "good" upscaling. You're taking something with 1/27th the pixels and blowing it up to a larger resolution panel--it's gonna look terrible (because it is terrible) no matter which way you slice it. Believing this will turn out well is like believing all the TV police/forensic dramas where they "zoom and enhance" some grainy security cam footage and find out minute details without a problem :lol:

3. It seems you have bought the Vizio already. Well at least it's from Costco so you can return pretty liberally but I beg of you don't watch 480p on this set...or any other 4K or 1080p even, but definitely not on the 2nd tier and lower brands.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 16, 2003
808 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for your post. I didn't buy the OLED because of the burn-in risk I won't be using it for gaming, but I do tend to keep the news channels on.

If the Vizio sucks I can always return it and get a Sony or Samsung. That's why I love Costco.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien

Top