• Oct 18th, 2019 7:50 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 26, 2018
23 posts
2 upvotes

LG OLED C9

I've been really looking at TV and might take the plunge on black Friday or boxing day but the question I kind of have is, is it worth it? I mean the majority of what I watch is cable/Netflix/crave and Plex streams, Would this content look much better on this tv or do you really only get the full benefit if you're watching uhd blu ray or whatever.

What I guess in asking is, is this TV over kill for me or would I still notice improvements? My current tv is a 47 inch 1080p 60hz lg
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1188 posts
631 upvotes
GTA
You’ll still notice improvements on regular feeds with a much better screen like this, but for the best visuals you want 4K HDR, HDR+, Dolby vision or whatever the latest thing is. An OLED screen with higher refresh rate will look better than a 60hz LCD especially once properly calibrated.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19424 posts
5483 upvotes
Toronto
Netflix 4K is gorgeous, at least for some content.

Crave, not so much.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15131 posts
6529 upvotes
Ottawa
It's worth it if you like to watch tv with some light control (i.e. lights turned down) because you can really appreciate the black levels and the HDR content really shines.

We also installed the cheap Monster LED lights to get some bias lighting and it greatly improves the picture experience and now we prefer to watch our content with the lights turned to very dim or even off.

I think it's one of those things that is painful up front to pay the cost but you'll look forward to using for years.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1463 posts
441 upvotes
Vancouver
warpdrive wrote: It's worth it if you like to watch tv with some light control (i.e. lights turned down) because you can really appreciate the black levels and the HDR content really shines.

We also installed the cheap Monster LED lights to get some bias lighting and it greatly improves the picture experience and now we prefer to watch our content with the lights turned to very dim or even off.

I think it's one of those things that is painful up front to pay the cost but you'll look forward to using for years.
how much would that cost for a 65" for biast lighting? I seen like some bias lighting go for $300 which is crazy..
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15131 posts
6529 upvotes
Ottawa
pentexplorer wrote: how much would that cost for a 65" for biast lighting? I seen like some bias lighting go for $300 which is crazy..
I have 2 of the Monster $4 strips from Dollarama stuck to the back. It's certainly easier to do something if the TV is on stand instead of mounted on a wall.

It's not perfect, because my walls aren't white so the color temperature is a bit too warm, but even a cheap solution like mine is a lot better than nothing
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.