Home & Garden

LG Refrigerator broke, is there recourse?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2021 8:43 pm
[OP]
May 30, 2007
303 posts
437 upvotes
Markham

LG Refrigerator broke, is there recourse?

I have an LG french-door fridge that was manufactured January 2015.

Today it decided to die and I'm awaiting repairs while all my food spoils (fun!).

I noticed that there was a class action settlement that happened, I am wondering if there is something similar that applies to Canada.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lawsuit ... mpressors/

I could get this fridge repaired but this just sounds like its waiting to happen again.

Thanks!
10 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14859 posts
9254 upvotes
Toronto
Doubt it but I feel for you. My fridge (kitchenaid) stopped making ice around 3rd week of April. Still waiting for parts to get it fixed under extended warranty that has now expired (20 days after I made the call). I'm just happy it will be repaired under warranty lol.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16550 posts
13877 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sadly ...
This is an age old story with LG

Here’s a CBC Marketplace Episode from 2020

The first Cdn featured had an LG ... also 6 years old
And he soon found out he couldn’t get parts for it

I hope your situation turns out better
Apr 14, 2009
237 posts
116 upvotes
Vaughan
If it has the linear compressor, and that is the problem, LG extended the warranty to 10 years. Saved me almost $4500 in repairs as it is one huge unit for my fridge that has the coils and all electrical as one unit.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5223 posts
1566 upvotes
Lol, 6yrs? That seems about the lifespan of many appliances these days. Depending on your BS tolerance, I'd seriously consider just getting a new fridge, especially cause we're talking LG here too.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
May 30, 2007
303 posts
437 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote: Sadly ...
This is an age old story with LG

Here’s a CBC Marketplace Episode from 2020

The first Cdn featured had an LG ... also 6 years old
And he soon found out he couldn’t get parts for it

I hope your situation turns out better
That's nuts....i'm a huge supporter of right-to-repair but on the personal electronics side, I can see now it affects everyone even on the appliances side now.

Technician is coming today, I really hope its not the compressor as just like the guy who was featured first. Because I just checked online and the only place to get one is on eBay at $540.
[OP]
May 30, 2007
303 posts
437 upvotes
Markham
Toukolou wrote: Lol, 6yrs? That seems about the lifespan of many appliances these days. Depending on your BS tolerance, I'd seriously consider just getting a new fridge, especially cause we're talking LG here too.
I don't think I have the tolerance to go back and forth with LG 7-8 times and have no working fridge for a month (after all, its the pandemic, all we do pass the time is eat at home). Wife wants to get rid of it and I hate pretty much everything LG except their OLED TVs. This is such a racket, spending $3000-ish per appliance every 5-6 years is ridiculous .
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2611 posts
992 upvotes
Mississauga
I will never repair appliances ..
Tried to do it the first time at my old place with Samsung fridge 5.yr 1 month old (yes I had the 5 yr warranty and it fails 1 month after.. go figure ) .. even called Samsung they looked up the model #.. and they referred me to their repair guy ..$125 after checking it .. calls me back a day later tells me model is discontinued and there are no parts.. wTF why did Samsung not tell me.. I tried to escalate but did not have the time..

Then at the new place it was LG washer (came with the house) .. but got a nice LG repair guy, when he came he said my unit was 7+ years old... but when CSR told me 3 after looking it up ... he told me he will refund the service call as that was prepaid to get them to come out. Again no parts for it.

My wife thinks I'm now crazy thinking of going with 2x sub z.. at $16K!!!. For the kitchen reno. But those at least you can fix should anything go wrong.
Oct 2, 2018
604 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
Seems every manufacturer in this category are as equally poor with their products.

Lifespan should be 10 years minimum, these things are super expensive to begin with.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
[OP]
May 30, 2007
303 posts
437 upvotes
Markham
Just had a massive cook-off of soon-to-spoil expensive frozen seafood, I am completely stuffed...

The technician came by and has concluded it is a dead linear compressor. An out of warranty fix with him would be about $1,000+ and suggested I try and ask LG about whether they would cover the warranty and it would be not economical for him to fix it.

I contacted LG, they suggested I could go to www.lgoutofwarranty.ca and book a flat-rate repair of $259 for parts and labour for the fridge. I asked about the actual warranty itself and they said it only covers the part of the compressor and labour is not covered, they don't do 'refunds' like they do in the US and I would only be compensated if the technician can deem the unit unrepairable. The only way they could deem it unrepairable is if I book the service first.

As a "courtesy" if I am able to provide my original proof of purchase, they would give me $150 back for my issues....problem is the fridge came with the house, I even doubt the previous owner ever saw a receipt.

So this is pretty much a wash, if I choose to pay up the $259, I could be in for a month long journey of back and forth with LG for a chance of being compensated. Seems like a huge headache which is built into LG's business plan....

Guess its time to start shopping.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5223 posts
1566 upvotes
Renegade_R wrote: Seems like a huge headache which is built into LG's business plan....
This right here. It seems like companies don't care about reputation, likely because they're all the same sh*t anyway. What happened to buying a fridge or a stove and using it, problem free, for 20yrs? Smh...

I think there are 2 truisms in appliances these days. 1. Either buy for aesthetics or buy for longevity (whatever that means nowadays), can't have both. Basic level, builder white is likely the most reliable. 2. Stay the f*#k away from LG and Samsung.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky