Expired Hot Deals

LG UM7300 43" IPS 4K TV [2019] (TV-as-Monitor) - $428.00 [Costco, TheSource, Amazon, BestBuy, Visions, LondonDrugs]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2020 1:30 am
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2385 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
mcwilly wrote: Just curious did you connect the two using bluetooth, optical, or hdmi?
Connected using HDMI ARC.
Jan 4, 2019
458 posts
465 upvotes
I have a box of HDMI cables ranging from old to new. None of them say what version they are. Is there a way to tell ?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15416 posts
16612 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: I have a box of HDMI cables ranging from old to new. None of them say what version they are. Is there a way to tell ?
In my experience, I physically tested them at 4K 60Hz Full Dynamic Range RGB.

When they failed, I had to buy an Amazon Basics HDMI 10ft cable in the end.
Dec 14, 2006
833 posts
346 upvotes
No need to crap on the guy.
It seems very unlikely that he's getting compensated in any way.
Just excited for whatever reason, and it may be the ideal alternative for some people.
There are a lot worse things in life to be passionate about.
As far as misinformation, consumers should always do their research. This is just one source.
Jan 4, 2019
458 posts
465 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: In my experience, I physically tested them at 4K 60Hz Full Dynamic Range RGB.

When they failed, I had to buy an Amazon Basics HDMI 10ft cable in the end.

I have it set to 4k 60hz and fully range. Screen seems fine, so the cable is good to go?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15416 posts
16612 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: I have it set to 4k 60hz and fully range. Screen seems fine, so the cable is good to go?
Yep, it's probably HDMI 2.0. If you also set it to RGB, then it's almost certainly HDMI 2.0.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2798 posts
3658 upvotes
Edmonton
Torque wrote: No need to crap on the guy.
It seems very unlikely that he's getting compensated in any way.
Just excited for whatever reason, and it may be the ideal alternative for some people.
There are a lot worse things in life to be passionate about.
As far as misinformation, consumers should always do their research. This is just one source.
Fair... Ok I am shamed successfully now lol
Jan 4, 2019
458 posts
465 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Yep, it's probably HDMI 2.0. If you also set it to RGB, then it's almost certainly HDMI 2.0.
Awesome. Thanks so much for the post. Have a great weekend.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15416 posts
16612 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: Awesome. Thanks so much for the post. Have a great weekend.
You too, and have a great weekend to everyone that partook in this thread.

I feel like most of you garnered some value from this exchange and/or the product it was based around.

Cheers folks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7895 posts
2791 upvotes
Washington, DC
DFS 360 wrote: Lol. 300 posts by the OP, 200 of which before he even purchased one. Hyperbole and grandeur over a $400 budget TV he insists on calling a monitor. Incorrect technical info, bad calibration advice, and dissemination of any better alternatives. He literally called this small budget TV “our champion” above, just weird posturing and an over abundance of pointless post-bumping and sales pushing for whatever reason...

As for the TV, it actually has a number of drawbacks as a monitor such as low colour depth in 4:4:4 (and not really vibrant in general) no USB-C/Thunderbolt/DisplayPort/HDMI 2.1, no analogue audio out, no wake/sleep functionality, edge shadowing/ghosting, low PPI (if you’re used to retina quality), and IMO the biggest flaw for usage as a monitor: PWM backlight. Headache inducing for some people, more eyestrain. Definitely noticeable flicker in this tv especially at lower brightness settings.

I bought one but it is basically a Netflix/Prime/YouTube display in my office while I work on a real monitor. This is totally a budget dorm gaming/Netflix TV. OP was using a 43” RGBW panel as a monitor previously so I’m sure he’s enjoying at least a correct pixel layout now, but that doesn’t make it an instant GOAT PC monitor. I like that it is IPS and somewhat colour accurate with good viewing angles but if it didn’t have smart features, it certainly wouldn’t be in my office as a primary monitor.
The cheapest 4K 40" monitor I've seen is an open box for $575. Do you know of any monitors around this price?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Feb 5, 2007
373 posts
229 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: @Smokem et al:

Ok, so I've clarified QuickStart+.

While the function is on, your TV will go to screen saver mode after a bit, and then to permanent standby low power mode.

When you hit the power button it will boot up almost immediately, like waking your computer from sleep.

How does this differ from LG 2018? It doesn't, except LG 2019 doesn't reset the input settings like the bug in 2018 would. Furthermore, 2019 is already faster booting up, so QuickStart+ isn't as noticeable of a difference (smaller delta).

Might as well keep it on to minimize annoyance.
Yes I did notice that with QuickStart+ enabled the monitor fires up nice and quick rather than without. After a software update on the TV, it did take much longer to turn on. For what it is worth, it's definitely not a dealbreaker.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15416 posts
16612 upvotes
Smokem wrote: Yes I did notice that with QuickStart+ enabled the monitor fires up nice and quick rather than without. After a software update on the TV, it did take much longer to turn on. For what it is worth, it's definitely not a dealbreaker.
Agreed, but I thought I'd give it a college try. Now I know that QuickStart+ won't bug out on me (so far), so I'm better off for having tested it.
Sep 4, 2017
202 posts
219 upvotes
DFS 360 wrote: Hooking it up to some Logitech 2.1 speakers for example. My original purpose was to hook up a MacBook Air retina occasionally. I’d have to plug in the power, a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or cable, and analogue headphone jack to the speakers. A real computer monitor in 2019 could accomplish all that through a single USB-C cable and the monitor would pass the audio out to the speakers. This TV can’t do any of that.
I've had two monitors with analog audio outputs, and they've both been terribly noisy with active speakers. I'd definitely recommend getting speakers with a toslink input, or even Bluetooth for this kind of setup
Jul 15, 2019
11 posts
7 upvotes
Hey, so I'm using a Mac mini from 2018 and hooking it up to this TV. The mouse feels really laggy, I think it might be functioning at 30hz but I'm not sure....just wondering if there is a setting in the Mac or do you guys think it might be the cable? Does it matter which input I plug it into? It's currently in HDMI 1....
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15416 posts
16612 upvotes
fyrenyce105 wrote: Hey, so I'm using a Mac mini from 2018 and hooking it up to this TV. The mouse feels really laggy, I think it might be functioning at 30hz but I'm not sure....just wondering if there is a setting in the Mac or do you guys think it might be the cable? Does it matter which input I plug it into? It's currently in HDMI 1....
Settings >> Picture

> Additional Settings
Instant Game Response - ON

FYI, the complete calibrations are in the first post.