• Apr 19th, 2019 3:15 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8570 posts
1752 upvotes
London
sumtimw0ng wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:34 am
it was both but the thinq was $360 on a med tab just before the release of the g7 one. i should know as i got the thinq to replace my g5 which the battery is completely stuck inside...
warranty with LG is fine now. it was a pain when the G4 started bootlooping as LG took forever to acknowledge that it was a design failure
There was a class action for the G4, those who signed up got a few hundred dollars back, too bad I missed that thread.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3060 posts
828 upvotes
Quebec
Poutinesauce wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:35 am
Reviewers always bash LG for the dumbest possible reasons. There is nothing wrong with LG phones. They have always made consistently good products.
Yes of course...all the complainers are just alienating everything and the class action is a fake news.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3060 posts
828 upvotes
Quebec
theXshape wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:19 pm
I had a G2, G3 and now G5 and they are all still going strong to this day. The G5 battery drains really quick though, but otherwise I have no complaint. I still use my G3 as a home phone with Fongo.
You are one of those rare lucky person that had good experience with lg product.
Nov 13, 2014
173 posts
77 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Every company makes shitty and faulty products once in a while. Samsung sold a bomb not too long ago, remember ? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6421 posts
2261 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like an OK phone, the hand gestures seem like a complete gimmick though.
Jul 17, 2011
14 posts
14 upvotes
Mississauga
Didn't G3 and G4 suffer from overheating and bootloop issues? IIRC, G3 suffered from SD810 overheating issues and they faced a class action lawsuit over bootloop issues with its G4, V10, V20, Nexus 5X, and G5 smartphones. Nexus 5x and G4, I remember hearing the most about bootlooping and the popular fix being storing it in your refrigerator hoping that fixes it. So its not a surprise people don't have too much faith in them. They've made consistently mediocre products and have had widespread issues with it in the past with a lot of their product lines.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
1944 posts
369 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
HyperTech wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:30 pm
You are one of those rare lucky person that had good experience with lg product.
Ive had the nexus (forget which one they made), g3, g5 and g7 thinq. All worked fine until the next upgrade. The battery for the g3 and g5 would only last about 14 hours on a good day but at least the g3 came with two batteries so i just made sure one was always charged. The g7 usually after 17-18 hours is in the 40% range
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3510 posts
917 upvotes
Is there a way to measure the battery wear like in iphones?
Sep 7, 2014
613 posts
664 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
I usually like LG products (their OLED TVs are unreal) but I've been burned on their phones too many times.

G3 back in the day, Nexus 5X, then the G5 was the last straw. I absolutely LOVED the Nexus 5 (even still use it at home as an Android media player basically) but can't in good faith go with them again. I even got excited about the V50 ThinQ, but am staying away from LG for a while.
Dec 20, 2012
157 posts
64 upvotes
Surrey
After our LG G4 suddenly stopped working a couple of years ago and entered the dreaded bootloop, I am sticking with Samsung and highly recommend others to think twice before purchasing an LG phone. This years model in particular is far inferior to every other flagship on the market.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8446 posts
1138 upvotes
Victoria
I want to buy an LG because they're one of the few cell phones with a high quality DAC in them (the hardware that converts digital audio files into analog audio you can hear). Unfortunately I'm on Koodo (With a plan to good to give up) and they seem to have dropped LG's flagship phones. If they did have it I'd wait til Black Friday for a severely discounted deal on it :)
May 22, 2015
49 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Same here, both G4 and Gpad3 bootloop all time like crazy! Never buy LG again, rather pay more to buy P30pro or S10+ will not get any wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8570 posts
1752 upvotes
London
Most phones have about 4-5 years before they became worthless or near zero resale value. Now due to the fact that phone's batteries are no longer easy to replace, the 4-5 years may soon replaced by 2-3 years. Let's say by Summer, the G8 is about $400 from Koodo and about twice for a P30 Pro or S10+. It is a no brainer for me, LG or no LG.

Too bad I don't belong to the breed that don't mind paying for a new $1,000 phone every 2-3 years.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5397 posts
3231 upvotes
zod wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 2:30 pm
I want to buy an LG because they're one of the few cell phones with a high quality DAC in them (the hardware that converts digital audio files into analog audio you can hear). Unfortunately I'm on Koodo (With a plan to good to give up) and they seem to have dropped LG's flagship phones. If they did have it I'd wait til Black Friday for a severely discounted deal on it :)
An alternative is getting this for better headphone sound, it's like $32 on Amazon:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... gle-review