Expired Hot Deals

[LG] Very nice deal LG G8 ThinQ free $200 visa card :D + free warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2019 3:15 pm
May 16, 2017
332 posts
155 upvotes
the cameras on these phones sux, if the cameras garabage then no way, no how im justifying paying hundreds of dollars for a phone
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3220 posts
1245 upvotes
Vancouver
lcwman wrote: Same here, both G4 and Gpad3 bootloop all time like crazy! Never buy LG again, rather pay more to buy P30pro or S10+ will not get any wrong.
The GPad3 bootlooped as well?! I have one and so far it's been good. I did have the G3, several G4s (family) and G6s. The G4s bootlooped but they addressed it no problem. I've generally been satisfied by LG phone as they're solid but unspectacular (much like myself!). I do wish they focused more on beefing up stuff like the camera rather than this hand gesture and vein reading stuff.

It's so difficult to find that 'one phone to rule them all' when you're looking for an Android phone with SD and removable battery (wishful thinking at this point). It seems that Pixel and P30 Pro have the best camera apps, but Pixel doesn't have SD and I don't trust Chinese phones (particularly Huawei). I might just sideload GCam onto a S10 or G8 and call it a day, but I don't know what the ports are like -- are they seamless or does it require some 'work'? My wife's a Luddite when it comes to tech so I'm trying to make it as stock feeling as possible.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6452 posts
4989 upvotes
slash407 wrote: the cameras on these phones sux, if the cameras garabage then no way, no how im justifying paying hundreds of dollars for a phone
Not true, LG phones always had great cameras.

The caveat is that they don't want to pay DXOMark's protection money, so DXOMark gives them bad scores.

In actual use they are certainly amongst the best.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3220 posts
1245 upvotes
Vancouver
Poutinesauce wrote: Not true, LG phones always had great cameras.

The caveat is that they don't want to pay DXOMark's protection money, so DXOMark gives them bad scores.

Honestly, I'm not so sure -- and I like LGs. My G6 camera doesn't seem as fast as my old G4 (auto or any preset settings, not manual), so I always get blurrier action photos. Night shots are marginally better. The saving grace is the wide angle lens, which was a game changer. I was disappointed that the North American G8 doesn't include the third lens, which is included in other countries. As I noted in my previous post, with Pixel and P30 Pro pushing the envelope in photography, so LG does need to step-up its game.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3643 posts
2897 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Not true, LG phones always had great cameras.

They've never had a great camera. They had decent cameras (except for the G6 front cam which was terrible) but terrible software slow to load, slower to focus, inconsistent quality and overall just bad compared to flagships. Very much like Sony phones
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3643 posts
2897 upvotes
LG software is terrible and updates are non existent
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2156 posts
863 upvotes
Montreal, QC
StatsGuy wrote: LG software is terrible and updates are non existent
x1000

they haven't rolled out pie for the G7 yet... with the G8, you'll be stuck with pie
definitely moving on LG after i'm done with the G7. waiting to see what Google does later this year
[OP]
Apr 23, 2014
623 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sumtimw0ng wrote: last year, the G7 was 0 upfront with a $360 med tab during summer. I'm expecting this price at koodo. maybe around $500 at freedom? most are saying the phone is not worth the premium price as it doesn't feel like a flagship phone
I am debating between getting the g7 for $6 or this one for $25 tab ($200 makes it $17~ tab). I am considering waiting till end of May to see if any price drop. If S9 goes for $6 that will be better lol, it doesn't make sense for freedom to do $15 s9 and $20 s10e
May 19, 2015
289 posts
272 upvotes
What turned me off about the G8 is the hand gesture. I cannot stand silly gimmicks which might be popular in the far east but are totally useless in real world. Also the camera on the G7 was horrendous. I went to Bell store and took a photo of an apple with the Sammy S9 and the G7. The G7 photo has absolutley no details. The Sammy S9 was very detailed to the point you could see every small imperfection with the apple.
vanclty wrote: So between now and until 31st may, if you purchase lg from carrier etc, you get $200 visa card.

This phone is quite comparable to S10e and cheaper.

And to sweeten the deal more, LG is pleased to give you second year warranty for free upon registration. \

Enjoy your new LG device!

Life's good
Oct 15, 2018
121 posts
173 upvotes
EdwardS050 wrote: What turned me off about the G8 is the hand gesture. I cannot stand silly gimmicks which might be popular in the far east but are totally useless in real world. Also the camera on the G7 was horrendous. I went to Bell store and took a photo of an apple with the Sammy S9 and the G7. The G7 photo has absolutley no details. The Sammy S9 was very detailed to the point you could see every small imperfection with the apple.
Its a phone. A phone primary use is to make phone calls. If you need a great camera then buy a DSLR.
[OP]
Apr 23, 2014
623 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Leyogi wrote: Its a phone. A phone primary use is to make phone calls. If you need a great camera then buy a DSLR.
true but if g8 and s10 are at same price, then obviously s10 is better.

g8 should be priced lower for its lack of software/hardware features. The face unlock is nice, but not many apps can use it unlike apple. Hand gesture is just a bonus, for that once in a month thing. But primary function i guess is face unlock.

I wish they spent more times fixing their software isntead of working hard on hand gesture. Now they have to spend more time fixing hand gestures bugs.
Sep 7, 2006
894 posts
537 upvotes
just because you've experiences issues with your phones doesnt mean we have and have to follow your trend. Ive owned the optimus g, g2, g3 and now the v20. None of these phones have failed harwarewise. However I am sick of LG's cockblocking the bootloader and having terrible software optimization. Those are the reasons I would sway people from making the decision.

I've only RMAd one product in my life and that was a samsung laptop which they butchered on the way back after being "lost in transit" and retrieving it 5 months later.

Samsung? kthx
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3947 posts
1603 upvotes
Quebec
I have rma my s7e for a screen burn.. Process was really really easy and VERY VERY FAST. 2 days and i got my phone back with a brand new screen.

I love samsung phone... But cannot say the same about their cloth washing and drying machine, curiously LG perform very well on those machine.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3266 posts
384 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
G2X and Nexus 5 owner here. Both lines of phones were defective devices which never should have reached the market - the first due to commonly reported stability issues that LG never resolved and many suspected was caused by hardware, and the second due to a poor side button design, inevitably causing power buttons to literally break off from the phone chassis and requiring a repair for the phone to become operable again.

I've been wary of LG's commitment to back up their devices since.