Home & Garden

LG washer + dryer protection plan worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 8:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8044 posts
9020 upvotes
Montréal

LG washer + dryer protection plan worth it?

Please take note that I do not want to turn this thread into a LG - Samaung - GE - and all manufacturer war! Just asking for some advice and help. Thanks!

I recently bought a set of appliance, a LG WT7300CW washer, and the matching LG DLEX7250W dryer. I have 90 days to buy a 3 years protection plan (making it to a total of 5 years if we add the original 2 years Costco warranty) for $194.99 https://www.costco.ca/excellence-plus%2 ... 09361.html

Question: I am not the kind of guy that falls into extended protection plans, but, at this price I wonder if it really worth it? Some LG appliances users here? Anyone with those exact models, did you guys had any issues with those units? Or anyone with any input, even if you do not own LG appliances? Taking into consideration that Best Buy (I know, their protection plans are not cheap! but on the expensive side) sells the 4 years plan for the dryer at $120 and for the washer at $140 for a total of $260 I think that for both units it is a nice deal at $194.99
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1208 posts
2190 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
I'd go for it. It's not much and would certainly payoff with the 1st service call.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1386 posts
1421 upvotes
ON
I bought an LG washer and dryer last year from Costco during the energy savings rebate program. While I have never ever bought extended warranties before, this was my first time with a Korean brand and also hearing how ‘fragile’ appliances are made today, I went ahead and bought extended warranty only on the washer at $99. I doubt I would have bought it if the price was higher.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8044 posts
9020 upvotes
Montréal
fordmaple wrote: I'd go for it. It's not much and would certainly payoff with the 1st service call.
question is are those reliable enough to not have to make a service call within the first 5 years? ;)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22823 posts
21656 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
DoorCrasher wrote: question is are those reliable enough to not have to make a service call within the first 5 years? ;)
No

Buy the warranty.

A call out is AT LEAST $ 150.

Peace of mind for the early years at least.

Hopefully you’ll get lucky, and these new appliances will get you thru to year 5 and beyond ... warranty or not

If you buy it and don’t use it ... just consider it good karma.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1208 posts
2190 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
DoorCrasher wrote: question is are those reliable enough to not have to make a service call within the first 5 years? ;)
In my opinion I don't want to play the brand game but you'll definitely have at least one issue with one of them. Because its an offshore brand, parts will be hard to come by and will be more expensive. $200 is awesome peace of mind. I wouldn't hesitate with a warranty especially from costco if I bought those brands. You can buy parts off the shelf for NA brands....not so much offshore brands.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8044 posts
9020 upvotes
Montréal
fordmaple wrote: In my opinion I don't want to play the brand game but you'll definitely have at least one issue with one of them. Because its an offshore brand, parts will be hard to come by and will be more expensive. $200 is awesome peace of mind. I wouldn't hesitate with a warranty especially from costco if I bought those brands. You can buy parts off the shelf for NA brands....not so much offshore brands.
Thanks for your input. I know LG is Korean, but one of the most popular brand in North America, recommended by Consumers Report.... I really doubt that parts are that hard to find.... And, as far as I know since Mabe closed their plant in Montreal There is not much of appliance manufacturer in Canada
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3019 posts
3386 upvotes
GTA
$195 to cover year 3 to 5 the most unlikely years to have an issue. Again with one of the most reliable brands per CR. Unless you are a heavy user of this pair I would pass. Your risk exposure is low for the amount they are charging.