• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2020 5:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
874 posts
1004 upvotes

LG washer users?

We're seriously at wits-end with the LG Washer we got from Costco in mid-March. Can any users help shed light on what we should be doing?

We got it delivered right before covid lockdown, so haven't had much need to do laundry cos we're not going out. So the loads are only 20-40% of the overall drum size, and about once a month.

Despite this, we're still getting lots of Residue and Lint on our clothes. (pic attached -- if you zoom into the full res of the 4th image 20200607_133726.jpg you'll see the huge RING of residue/lint)

We followed the difference pieces of advice online and from what LG posts in response to negative reviews: use less detergent, keep empty space in the centre, do small loads, use Deep Wash setting, use Extra Rinse...only thing we haven't done is switch our detergent, or do the "Tub Clean" 3 times. but still, the problems persist...the same problems we've had since the first 20% load.

UNFORTUNATELY we were testing all these different methods IN GOOD FAITH, and the 90 day Costco return has lapsed. so now we're left dealing with LG, which has been horrible thus far. I even asked them if there was a lint filter or anything to clean, and they said no.

So, my fellow RFDers...anyone with experience with these LG Washers and can help advise?

LG is our only avenue now and they want us to do the Tub Clean 3 times, then see what happens, and if the problem still persists, then they'll send a tech. but honestly i don't think a tech can do anything, as it seems like bad design of the machine. (from the various reviews i've read -- and i've read everyone on of them on LG.com!). i would really rather not go down this route if it's possible.

help me RFD...you're my only hope!
Images
  • 20200320_212931.jpg
  • 20200418_004949.jpg
  • 20200517_230922.jpg
  • 20200607_133726.jpg
66 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5524 posts
3825 upvotes
Curious that you posted this, I was just about to do the same. New LG washer here, and same issue. Note that we had this issue with our older washer (Inglis) that we just replaced 2 weeks ago, and the old washer had 24 years... this making me say it is not LG's issue

Tried all what you tried + tried a new detergent, without any good results... When we used the deep wash or extra rinse problem was significantly less severe

Since we had the same issue with the older washer, I wonder if it is not du to cheap fabrics? It happens only on few of the items we have washed in this (and the prevoius) washer

I'd doubt that LG tech would be able to do anything... at least for us... because issue was there with older machine, indicating that it is not the washer that cause the problem

lexi lake pics
lexi lake pics
Jan 7, 2006
552 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
I have an older LG front load HE washer from 2012, I started to get similar stains few years ago.

I cleaned the machine with a ton of vinegar, a dish washer pod in the drum and a few towels on the hottest cycle. Had to do it a few times before it went away. I do this clean a few times a year now whenever I remember to, previously did 0 maintenance on it.

I normally use Woolite liquid detergent and no fabric softener if that makes a difference.
Jul 16, 2019
577 posts
309 upvotes
I have an approx 4 years old LG front load washer and do not have this issue. I do have the black residue on the rubber gasket where the door shuts.
Wonder if your problem is that the sediment after wash is sitting below the drum and then getting spread again for the next wash ? Perhaps as the other poster said, use a dishwasher pod and/or vinigar and use the extra spin to try and get all the stuff flushed away. I know you can also get washing machine cleaning pods.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
874 posts
1004 upvotes
personally i think it's the washer cost we've never had this problem, even washing the same clothes just the month previous. and we had that machine for 20 years.

which model do you have?

ours is LG WT7100CW - 5.2 cu.ft Top Load Washer with 6Motion™ Technology
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
874 posts
1004 upvotes
Kevin711 wrote: I have an older LG front load HE washer from 2012, I started to get similar stains few years ago.

I cleaned the machine with a ton of vinegar, a dish washer pod in the drum and a few towels on the hottest cycle. Had to do it a few times before it went away. I do this clean a few times a year now whenever I remember to, previously did 0 maintenance on it.

I normally use Woolite liquid detergent and no fabric softener if that makes a difference.
wow that actually works? ok, something to try i guess! thank you.

we use the blue PUREX. says "for all machines including high-efficiency" ... wonder if that has anything to do with it...
personally i think no, cos it seems to be the way the machine is designed to funnel the lint...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3881 posts
3028 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't remember having regular lint problems, only rarely with my laundry for the longest time.
I see some possible "solutions" for these from a Google search, not sure what would work for you guys but you can take a look and try?
https://www.mrappliance.com/blog/2017/m ... aning-too/
https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Lint ... ng-Clothes
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-r ... m-laundry/
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/310 ... my+clothes
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5524 posts
3825 upvotes
gotglint wrote: personally i think it's the washer cost we've never had this problem, even washing the same clothes just the month previous. and we had that machine for 20 years.

which model do you have?

LG WT7300CW

https://www.costco.ca/lg-5.8-cu.-ft.-wh ... 82610.html

I really doubt that it is the washer. as said we had this problem with previous washer, but I still wonder what can cause this issue. It is for sure not lint from a previous wash, as it have done this the first time we used the machine

I wonder ifi put too much clothes for a single wash? Note that it is a 5.8 Cu Ft washer, it should be able to wash big loads??
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5524 posts
3825 upvotes
gumby wrote: I don't remember having regular lint problems, only rarely with my laundry for the longest time.
I see some possible "solutions" for these from a Google search, not sure what would work for you guys but you can take a look and try?
https://www.mrappliance.com/blog/2017/m ... aning-too/
https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Lint ... ng-Clothes
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-r ... m-laundry/
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/310 ... my+clothes
thanks for your links. But I doubt it could help. Since my washer is brand new, it is not lint from a previous load, and I do not wash "linty" fabrics with others like , let's say , towels and dress shirts by example
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5365 posts
2160 upvotes
Toronto
gotglint wrote: personally i think it's the washer cost we've never had this problem, even washing the same clothes just the month previous. and we had that machine for 20 years.

which model do you have?

We have a similar new (6 months old) LG top-load washer (WT7850HVA) that has some lint/residue issues with darks, but nowhere near as bad as yours. I think because the default settings try to be so eco-efficient that they don't use enough water (just like the matching dryer doesn't really dry much of anything unless you disable the energy saver). I usually put extra rinse and "water plus" on if doing dark laundry, and that solves the problem, but then again it never looked as bad as your photos. That's with full loads too. I also don't use a fancy detergent (Arm & Hammer), but maybe try something other than Purex and see if it makes a difference? Or as a test, try running a load with zero detergent and see how it looks? Maybe reduce the spin speed as well in case that's creating some of the lint?
Last edited by Manatus on Jul 7th, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5524 posts
3825 upvotes
gotglint wrote: wow that actually works? ok, something to try i guess! thank you.

we use the blue PUREX. says "for all machines including high-efficiency" ... wonder if that has anything to do with it...
personally i think no, cos it seems to be the way the machine is designed to funnel the lint...
I also use Purex, without any fabric softener... is that a sign? Tried a Tide Pod with Fleecy (4 in 1 pod). less lint, but still lint...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5524 posts
3825 upvotes
Manatus wrote: We have a similar new (6 months old) LG top-load washer (WT7850HVA) that has some lint/residue issues with darks, but nowhere near as bad as yours. I think because the default settings try to be so eco-efficient that they don't use enough water (just like the matching dryer doesn't really dry much of anything unless you disable the energy saver). I usually put extra rinse and "water plus" on if doing dark laundry, and that solves the problem, but then again it never looked as bad as your photos. That's with full loads too. I also don't use a fancy detergent (Arm & Hammer), but maybe try something other than Purex and see if it makes a difference? Or as a test, try running a load with zero detergent and see how it looks? Maybe reduce the spin speed as well in case that's creating some of the lint?
thanks for your tips. Tried a slower spin cycle, without results. Also happens on dark colored clothes. I wonder if clear clothes have lint, but not visible? Changing detergent solved the problem, in part, still lint, but less
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5524 posts
3825 upvotes
Cusious that no LG bashers showed up already ;) note that LG washer are one of the recommended washers by Consumers Report, reason why I bought this unit
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15203 posts
12364 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Looks from all the pics to be more of a detergent residue issue
Than a lint one

Try these tips:

1- Pods don’t always dissolve properly ... esp if they are old, deteriorating, or damp / sticky to begin with. IMO based on my own experiences with HE Washers, Liquid Detergent works better than pods

2- Dont want to waste the pods you have ... then use more water for the smaller load. Look for a setting that is for oversized / bulky loads. It should fill a top load machine with more water.

3- Clean your washer religiously. Not surprised that’s what LG is recommending as few people seem to do it as per the manufacturers recommend Schedule (check your Owners manual with my Maytag it’s after every 30 loads). Do it. Cuz these deep cleans will break down any soap residue that is left in the machine ... not just in the drum ... but inside the workings (ie detergent feed lines, the holes in the inner drum, between the drum & the outside drum etc ). Personally our Maytag recommends Affresh Washer Cleaner. And it works great. We throw in the puck and set the machine to the clean cycle. Looks brand new when the cycle is completed. The commercial pucks are Convenient & easy to use (we buy them when they are on sale / coupon / promo). But I have read in lieu of the pucks you can use chlorine bleach etc. Google for more info on that ... or check your Owners Manual

* NOTE - When I got my Maytag I seem to recall I had to do at least one Clean Washer Cycle ... BEFORE I did any actual laundry. This was to ensure the machine was free of any dirt or grease etc that might be leftover from the manufacturing process. Maytag included a FREE Affresh Pod with my Washer for this purpose ... and I suppose to also familiarize me with the recommended product we needed to buy to do the task in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5524 posts
3825 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Looks from all the pics to be more of a detergent residue issue
Than a lint one

Try these tips:

1- Pods don’t always dissolve properly ... esp if they are old, deteriorating, or damp / sticky to begin with. IMO based on my own experiences with HE Washers, Liquid Detergent works better than pods

2- Dont want to waste the pods you have ... then use more water for the smaller load. Look for a setting that is for oversized / bulky loads. It should fill a top load machine with more water.

3- Clean your washer religiously. Not surprised that’s what LG is recommending as few people seem to do it as per the manufacturers recommend Schedule (check your Owners manual with my Maytag it’s after every 30 loads). Do it. Cuz these deep cleans will break down any soap residue that is left in the machine ... not just in the drum ... but inside the workings (ie detergent feed lines, the holes in the inner drum, between the drum & the outside drum etc ). Personally our Maytag recommends Affresh Washer Cleaner. And it works great. We throw in the puck and set the machine to the clean cycle. Looks brand new when the cycle is completed. The commercial pucks are Convenient & easy to use (we buy them when they are on sale / coupon / promo). But I have read in lieu of the pucks you can use chlorine bleach etc. Google for more info on that ... or check your Owners Manual

* NOTE - When I got my Maytag I seem to recall I had to do at least one Clean Washer Cycle ... BEFORE I did any actual laundry. This was to ensure the machine was free of any dirt or grease etc that might be leftover from the manufacturing process. Maytag included a FREE Affresh Pod with my Washer for this purpose ... and I suppose to also familiarize me with the recommended product we needed to buy to do the task in the future.
Thanks for your instructions. I am not used with HE washers, as our previous washer had 24 years old. Not, I had an idea that it coul be soap residue as the washer uses so little water, but what put a doubt in my mind is that we had this issue in our previous washer.. Not, sometime it is kind of lint that we can roll between our fingers, and other times we have to take a damp cloth to clean the "lint", which makes me say you are right saying that it is not lint, but soap residues. I do not use pods, I use liquid Purex, tried pods just once, and have not solved the issue..

Manufacturer recommends a tub clean after something like 25 loads, machine supposed to notify me, will religiously follow the schedule to make sure we keep it clean, and functionnal
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
874 posts
1004 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: LG WT7300CW

https://www.costco.ca/lg-5.8-cu.-ft.-wh ... 82610.html

I really doubt that it is the washer. as said we had this problem with previous washer, but I still wonder what can cause this issue. It is for sure not lint from a previous wash, as it have done this the first time we used the machine

I wonder ifi put too much clothes for a single wash? Note that it is a 5.8 Cu Ft washer, it should be able to wash big loads??
not sure about your problem, but for mine def not too big of a load...pic #4 is just of one (thin! from Muji) duvet cover! and it's covered in sh*t
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
874 posts
1004 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Looks from all the pics to be more of a detergent residue issue
Than a lint one

Try these tips:

thanks for the tips. i'll try the Affresh. we don't use pods.

also don't think it's a detergent issue because the last 2 loads i used 1 tablespoon or less (which is 1/2 of what they recommend) and still getting the same problem. (also it might be hard to see in the 4th pic, but i picked all that stuff off and it was fabric, not detergent)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8410 posts
5078 upvotes
Kootenays
DoorCrasher wrote: Cusious that no LG bashers showed up already ;) note that LG washer are one of the recommended washers by Consumers Report, reason why I bought this unit
They recommend LG front load washers. I'm not sure about top loaders.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5524 posts
3825 upvotes
smacd wrote: They recommend LG front load washers. I'm not sure about top loaders.
have done my search before buying ;) they tested top load and front load separately. Top load is not #1, but still recommended in the first 5
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
874 posts
1004 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: have done my search before buying ;) they tested top load and front load separately. Top load is not #1, but still recommended in the first 5
really? dang...

wonder if i shoulda got a Whirlpool. our last ones are and they've been rock solid.