• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2020 5:51 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
hi any updates? improvements? thinking of buying this washer. thanks.
gotglint wrote: We're seriously at wits-end with the LG Washer we got from Costco in mid-March. Can any users help shed light on what we should be doing?

We got it delivered right before covid lockdown, so haven't had much need to do laundry cos we're not going out. So the loads are only 20-40% of the overall drum size, and about once a month.

Despite this, we're still getting lots of Residue and Lint on our clothes. (pic attached -- if you zoom into the full res of the 4th image 20200607_133726.jpg you'll see the huge RING of residue/lint)

We followed the difference pieces of advice online and from what LG posts in response to negative reviews: use less detergent, keep empty space in the centre, do small loads, use Deep Wash setting, use Extra Rinse...only thing we haven't done is switch our detergent, or do the "Tub Clean" 3 times. but still, the problems persist...the same problems we've had since the first 20% load.

UNFORTUNATELY we were testing all these different methods IN GOOD FAITH, and the 90 day Costco return has lapsed. so now we're left dealing with LG, which has been horrible thus far. I even asked them if there was a lint filter or anything to clean, and they said no.

So, my fellow RFDers...anyone with experience with these LG Washers and can help advise?

LG is our only avenue now and they want us to do the Tub Clean 3 times, then see what happens, and if the problem still persists, then they'll send a tech. but honestly i don't think a tech can do anything, as it seems like bad design of the machine. (from the various reviews i've read -- and i've read everyone on of them on LG.com!). i would really rather not go down this route if it's possible.

help me RFD...you're my only hope!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
CuriousJack wrote: hi any updates? improvements? thinking of buying this washer. thanks.
no improvments, no update. I made tests with my washer, adding water to the load and regular rinse, no luck. Regular wash, extra rinse no luck. Extra water to the wash cycle, extra rinse no luck. I do not have this issue with all loads. Changing detergent have done nothing as well.

But I am sure that it is not a washer's issue, I had the same issue with my ol washer before we replaced it. So far we are really happy of our purchase, even if this issue occurs now and then, as I am sure it's not the washer. I guess poor quality fabrics that makes lint in the water when they are mixed in the tub
Feb 25, 2015
789 posts
327 upvotes
KW
We have 12yr old lg front load washer. Never had an issue yet.

We use tide he liquid.
Wash cold water only.
I run a sanitize cycle with a cup of bleach inside about once a year.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Thanks for the info. Is the speed wash (29 mins) sufficient enough for daily clothes wash? Thinking of using the speed wash regularly rather than the normal wash which is 60 mins (save electricity).
DoorCrasher wrote: no improvments, no update. I made tests with my washer, adding water to the load and regular rinse, no luck. Regular wash, extra rinse no luck. Extra water to the wash cycle, extra rinse no luck. I do not have this issue with all loads. Changing detergent have done nothing as well.

But I am sure that it is not a washer's issue, I had the same issue with my ol washer before we replaced it. So far we are really happy of our purchase, even if this issue occurs now and then, as I am sure it's not the washer. I guess poor quality fabrics that makes lint in the water when they are mixed in the tub
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
CuriousJack wrote: Thanks for the info. Is the speed wash (29 mins) sufficient enough for daily clothes wash? Thinking of using the speed wash regularly rather than the normal wash which is 60 mins (save electricity).
never tried speed wash... as per the instructions speed wash is for very lightly clothes. I usually use regular wash, that lasts 40 minutes Heavy wash is 1 hour. You can add a second or a third rinse and rinse for which it is 20 minutes each extra rinse

The way the washer works it "senses" the load, and from there determine amount of water and cycle time.

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1435 posts
2259 upvotes
Invalid12 wrote: We have 12yr old lg front load washer. Never had an issue yet.

We use tide he liquid.
Wash cold water only.
I run a sanitize cycle with a cup of bleach inside about once a year.
thanks, good to know. we use Purex right now, the blue bottle from Costco. maybe will try Tide next time...
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1435 posts
2259 upvotes
CuriousJack wrote: hi any updates? improvements? thinking of buying this washer. thanks.
not much updates from me, sorry. i think i've only done 3 small loads since i wrote this. i have not done the Tub Clean yet, because family keeps forgetting to buy Affresh. i will remind myself to next time im in the grocery store.

same thing as DoorCrasher -- it's sort of hit or miss. my last 2 loads didn't have my residue, im not sure what what reasons...

i will note that i did watch the cycle once...i think 2 loads ago...and was sort of surprised how little water the machine used. (this might be part of the problem?) the "sensing" used so little water that one item that stuck up was 2 inches above the water and for a while did not get wet. until the jostling of the machine finally got it to get wet 5 mins later. but watching the machine "wash" while this item was literally dry was eye opening lol...

will update if i get the Affresh!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
gotglint wrote: thanks, good to know. we use Purex right now, the blue bottle from Costco. maybe will try Tide next time...
I tried Tide. Tide pods. The one regular, and the one with Fleecy included. Also trid Gain Had the issue. I am sure it is not the washer, and not the soap. Only thing I have not tried is washing with hot water,we wash with cold water...
gotglint wrote: not much updates from me, sorry. i think i've only done 3 small loads since i wrote this. i have not done the Tub Clean yet, because family keeps forgetting to buy Affresh. i will remind myself to next time im in the grocery store.

same thing as DoorCrasher -- it's sort of hit or miss. my last 2 loads didn't have my residue, im not sure what what reasons...

i will note that i did watch the cycle once...i think 2 loads ago...and was sort of surprised how little water the machine used. (this might be part of the problem?) the "sensing" used so little water that one item that stuck up was 2 inches above the water and for a while did not get wet. until the jostling of the machine finally got it to get wet 5 mins later. but watching the machine "wash" while this item was literally dry was eye opening lol...

will update if i get the Affresh!
yes, very low water level for a load. But I am telling you, my old 24 years old washer had this issue, and this washer filled to the top, so water level is not the issue as well... It may take long for an item to get wet, but I never found a dry item when the cycle ended. It shakes a lot, and everything is mixed in the tub, I am sure this is not the issue as well. You look deceived of this appliance, but, again, I really doubt the device is the issue.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1435 posts
2259 upvotes
p.s. i also find the clothes are VERY wrinkled when they come out. not sure why this is. never in my life have i ever had a washing machine that makes clothes so wrinkled. it should win an award for that
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
haha.. are they still wrinkly out of the dryer?
gotglint wrote: p.s. i also find the clothes are VERY wrinkled when they come out. not sure why this is. never in my life have i ever had a washing machine that makes clothes so wrinkled. it should win an award for that
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
gotglint wrote: p.s. i also find the clothes are VERY wrinkled when they come out. not sure why this is. never in my life have i ever had a washing machine that makes clothes so wrinkled. it should win an award for that
Have you seen the spin cycle speed through the door? you can barely see cloths as it spins so fast...I found that it spins at 950 RPM, faster than my car at idle ;) clothes comes out alomst dry, normal that cloths are very wrinkled. Dryer does the job to correct wrinkles. When we plan to druy clothes outside on the clothes line we use lower spin speed, clothes are less wrinkled
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1435 posts
2259 upvotes
CuriousJack wrote: haha.. are they still wrinkly out of the dryer?
i don't use a dryer for clothes actually, so i don't know! DoorCrasher seems to have experience with dryer
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
I wonder if using fabric softener would help?

And, I just ran a clean tub cycle with an Affresh tab, and after the clean cycle, there was gummy scum at the top of the tub, well above the water level when we wash a load... Makin' me say maybe we use to much detergent? This sticky grime been cleaned quite easily by wiping it off with a damp microfiber.

Still looking for solutions.... Thinking FaceThinking Face🧐
Dec 20, 2006
61 posts
2 upvotes
Halifax
I am having the same issue with our fairly new Samsung top loader and Purex detergent. It leaves the tell tale white residue on dark clothing. I thought I was using too much soap, so I even reduced our usage to see if it helped. It didn't. I may have to run some solution through our machine to see if it helps. Seeing this thread makes me think it might be a combination of the Purex and water conditions combined with how top load washers hold the water.

I hope someone figures out the issue.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
athomas wrote: I am having the same issue with our fairly new Samsung top loader and Purex detergent. It leaves the tell tale white residue on dark clothing. I thought I was using too much soap, so I even reduced our usage to see if it helped. It didn't. I may have to run some solution through our machine to see if it helps. Seeing this thread makes me think it might be a combination of the Purex and water conditions combined with how top load washers hold the water.

I hope someone figures out the issue.
some questions for you...

You wash with cold, wwarm or hot water?
Do you use fabric softener in the machine?

As you probably read in this thread, I have the same issue, and trying to solve... This issue occured with our old 24 years old washer with an agitator in the middle ogf the tub, and now occures with a brand new top load washer without an agitator. We also use Purex, in clod water, without fabric softener. Tired Gain, Tide pods, and same issue there... Ran a clean tub cycle with Affresh tabs, no luck...
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Is it still worth to have it? Im considering it because of the discount I will get, $1,311 for the pair delivered.
DoorCrasher wrote: some questions for you...

You wash with cold, wwarm or hot water?
Do you use fabric softener in the machine?

As you probably read in this thread, I have the same issue, and trying to solve... This issue occured with our old 24 years old washer with an agitator in the middle ogf the tub, and now occures with a brand new top load washer without an agitator. We also use Purex, in clod water, without fabric softener. Tired Gain, Tide pods, and same issue there... Ran a clean tub cycle with Affresh tabs, no luck...
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
The first thing I would do is stop using Purex and try a highly rated liquid like Tide or Persil.. Here's a blurb from Consumer Reports on laundry detergents.

Laundry Detergent Buying Guide
Last updated: June 23, 2020
Our tests of dozens of laundry detergents show that there are real differences and that some detergents can barely clean. Most major detergent brands are reformulated at least once a year, keeping CR's test engineers busy.

Three manufacturers clean up in the detergent aisle, tallying up almost three-quarters of the money consumers spend on getting laundry clean, according to IRI, a market research firm. Procter & Gamble leads the pack, and its lineup includes Cheer, Gain, and Tide. Henkel follows and is best known for Persil, and Church & Dwight sells Arm & Hammer and Xtra detergents.

Liquid detergents remain the most widely sold type, and while pods are convenient to use, eliminating the need to measure, even the best pods, also known as packs, can’t match the cleaning power of CR’s top-rated liquid detergents. Some pods are more expensive per load, too. Powders? Sales have dissolved, and few brands are on store shelves.

For years, detergents have been made with concentrated formulas. This helps to reduce the amount of plastic or cardboard needed to make the containers. But old habits die hard, so follow the directions and measure the detergent—no more free-form pouring.

LAB-TESTED FOR YOUR WASHER
We tested over 50 detergents, liquids and pods, some of which are claimed to be gentle on sensitive skin or friendly to the environment, as you’ll see in our laundry detergent ratings.

First, we launder fabric swatches that are saturated with blood, body oil, chocolate, coffee, dirt, grass, and salad dressing. We use stains that are exceedingly hard to remove so that we can detect real differences among detergents. Even the best detergents can’t remove every stain completely.

Today's water and energy efficient washers are designed to operate using cooler water than traditional top-loaders from the 1990s. As wash cycles got cooler, the chemistry of detergents had to change in order for them to clean effectively. That's why we test using cool water. We wash swatches in two identical washers with each detergent, then allow the swatches to air-dry. (A dryer is out of the question because the heat can alter the stains.)

Testers use a colorimeter, a device that measures color intensity, to see how much of the stain remains on each dry swatch, compared with stained swatches that have been laundered using only water.

The best detergents we’ve tested earn an Excellent rating in removing body oil and dirt—common stains—but they can also tackle tougher ones, such as grass and blood. Hard water, which has a high mineral content, can reduce the effectiveness of some detergents. We test for that, too, as you'll see in our ratings.

The worst detergents? They're barely better than water when it comes to removing most stains.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
CuriousJack wrote: Is it still worth to have it? Im considering it because of the discount I will get, $1,311 for the pair delivered.
$1311 for the kit buy it now before price raise! Where did you have a good price like this? Personally, I am very happy with my purchased so far. Except the lint issue, which I am sure that the washer is hot the cause, this washer is great, and I expect energy savings with it. Now, I hope it will br reliable over time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)