Automotive

Licence is valid, but current licence card lost?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 1:05 pm
Aug 12, 2017
39 posts
4 upvotes

Licence is valid, but current licence card lost?

I have a full G licence that's not expired, but I have lost possession of the card. However I have a slightly older licence card that is expired.

What would happen if I was stopped and I had both the expired licence card and passport. Would they be able to look me up to see that I'm a licensed driver if I told the officer? What would reasonably happen in this circumstance?

This is Ontario if it makes a difference
10 replies
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
Doesn't matter. You need to have a valid driver licence on you when you operate a vehicle.

Why not simply go to Service Ontario to get a replacement?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
Pay the $20 or whatever it is for a replacement. Go to a Service Ontario office and they will print you a temp licence on the spot.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
Seriously. It just takes a week or two for replacement to arrive and Service Ontario will even print a paper one which can be used in the meantime.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
a1wmail wrote: I have a full G licence that's not expired, but I have lost possession of the card. However I have a slightly older licence card that is expired.

What would happen if I was stopped and I had both the expired licence card and passport. Would they be able to look me up to see that I'm a licensed driver if I told the officer? What would reasonably happen in this circumstance?

This is Ontario if it makes a difference
Pay for a replacement asap if not if you get pulled over ticket is in your future.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
You'll get a ticket for not having a license on you while driving.

You have to carry the most current license card.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
a1wmail wrote: I have a full G licence that's not expired,
I don't believe you, prove it!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
konsensei wrote: I don't believe you, prove it!
What, do you think the cops only go by your physical driver's license when you get pulled over, and don't actually look up your license in their system to make sure your license hasn't been suspended or anything?

In any case, OP, you would likely get a ticket if you get pulled over. Just get it replaced.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
The 1st place you should have gone to ask this question is Service Ontario where you would have gotten accurate info and already solved this issue by now.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
If you are a few months from a new one you may be lucky and wait it out. Also how many times do you get pulled over. It isn't expensive to get but up to to take a chance if you want.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
duderaf wrote: If you are a few months from a new one you may be lucky and wait it out. Also how many times do you get pulled over. It isn't expensive to get but up to to take a chance if you want.
Perhaps a better solution is to get a new one and renew it at the same time? That's what I did with my last address change...

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)