• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 11:04 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 5, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote

License Exchange

Hey everyone, I am an international student studying in NS with a full class 5 driving license since September 2019. Prior to this I already have a driving license for 8 years in my home country. I will be working in Ontario next summer, therefore I have a few questions regarding the driver licensing in Ontario.

1. It states on the website that if I have less than 2 years of driving experience, I could not exchange for a full G class license. Can 6 years my driving experience in my home country take this into account?
2. If its not taken into account and I'm not allowed to change to full G license, can/should I just wait and/or drive for 2 years with my NS license in Ontario? Because otherwise I will have to wait for like 21 months to take the G2 driving test? :rolleyes:

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 26, 2007
1574 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
  1. You can get a class G2 licence when you exchange your NS driver's licence for an Ontario driver's licence. To get any credit for your driving experience from you home country, you must present your foreign driver's licence and must be valid when you exchange your NS driver's licence. You must get a document from the licence issuing agency in your home country attesting to the validity and authenticity of your foreign driver's licence.
  2. You can do that, you wouldn't be the first to do so. :)
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 5, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
Broli's Mom wrote:
  1. You can get a class G2 licence when you exchange your NS driver's licence for an Ontario driver's licence. To get any credit for your driving experience from you home country, you must present your foreign driver's licence and must be valid when you exchange your NS driver's licence. You must get a document from the licence issuing agency in your home country attesting to the validity and authenticity of your foreign driver's licence.
  2. You can do that, you wouldn't be the first to do so. :)
1. Currently, I already have the official letter of confirmation of driving license particular from the Road Transport Department of my home country stating the first issue date of my drivers license (6 years ago) and the length of validity which is until 2023. Would there still be a chance that I will be rejected from getting a G license with this document?
2. And the letter was issued in 2018, does it affect the validity and the registration process?
3, Would I be on the radar of the authority if I decline to exchange my license to a G2 during the application process in the office and just continue driving with my NS license in Ontario for the whole 21 months? Would I get into future problems?

Thank you.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 26, 2007
1574 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
maplestoree wrote: 1. Currently, I already have the official letter of confirmation of driving license particular from the Road Transport Department of my home country stating the first issue date of my drivers license (6 years ago) and the length of validity which is until 2023. Would there still be a chance that I will be rejected from getting a G license with this document?
2. And the letter was issued in 2018, does it affect the validity and the registration process?
3, Would I be on the radar of the authority if I decline to exchange my license to a G2 during the application process in the office and just continue driving with my NS license in Ontario for the whole 21 months? Would I get into future problems?

Thank you.
1. If there is no driver's licence exchange agreement between Ontario and your home country, DriveTest will only give you a driver's licence based on your driving experience in NS, which would be a G2 licence. Your driving experience from your home country will remove any graduated licensing wait times. However....
2. The letter from your home jurisdiction is stale-dated, they will only take documents that no older than 6 months from the date of your visit to the centre.
3. You will only be on their radar if you get caught, so just drive safely if you choose to drive with your NS driver's licence; you won't be declined. Have you thought about car insurance? I don't think you will be able to get Ontario car insurance with a NS driver's licence.

I am sure you can find more information here, if you haven't looked already:

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-e ... hange.html

Otherwise, give them a call, you won't be forced to give any of your specifics.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 5, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
Broli's Mom wrote: 1. If there is no driver's licence exchange agreement between Ontario and your home country, DriveTest will only give you a driver's licence based on your driving experience in NS, which would be a G2 licence. Your driving experience from your home country will remove any graduated licensing wait times. However....
2. The letter from your home jurisdiction is stale-dated, they will only take documents that no older than 6 months from the date of your visit to the centre.
3. You will only be on their radar if you get caught, so just drive safely if you choose to drive with your NS driver's licence; you won't be declined. Have you thought about car insurance? I don't think you will be able to get Ontario car insurance with a NS driver's licence.

I am sure you can find more information here, if you haven't looked already:

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-e ... hange.html

Otherwise, give them a call, you won't be forced to give any of your specifics.
Thanks for all the information. Really appreciate it Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Top