License Overseas

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2019 8:38 am
[OP]
Feb 7, 2013
150 posts
11 upvotes

License Overseas

I plan on going to Southeast Asia in April. Does anyone know where I would get an international license so I can be able to drive a motorbike or even a car. Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3452 posts
1428 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
It's an International Driving Permit, not a license, and is merely a translation of your license. In countries where English is at least notionally used, it is not legally required. Driving a vehicle in, say, Singapore or Malaysia does not require one (I always had one for Malaysia until I read a Malaysian government site that said it was not required).

Some other places such as Thailand or Indonesia, you might not want to have drive IDP or otherwise.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2013
150 posts
11 upvotes
My understanding is if you aren’t properly licensed overseas and into an accident. Your insurance won’t cover you
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3452 posts
1428 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
It's not a licence but a translation of your drivers licence and what you are permitted to operate, and requires/restrictions (e.g., eye wear, daylight or night, transmission type, etc.). Licensing means what you are permitted to operate. e.g., if you don't have a valid MC endorsement at home and operate a scooter or some such in another country.....

Some countries require at IDP (such as Austria) if the DL is not in German. However, the Austrian government page doesn't mention that a DL issued in any EU country (of which Austria is one) is valid in any other EU country (not that it applies to us so I always have one when driving in the E.U.)). One certainly doesn't need an IDP to drive in English-speaking countries

Bear in mind that not all countries are signatories to the convention.

https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/ ... ry-an-idp/
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3730 posts
2981 upvotes
Depends on the country, or in some cases even the region within a country, as to whether you need an IDP or not. One example I know of when I went (but this may have changed), in the UAE, Dubai is OK with your foreign licence, but Abu Dhabi requires an IDP. So if you don't have an IDP, don't try to rent a car in Abu Dhabi nor drive from Dubai into Abu Dhabi. Also a few years ago there was a big stink down in Florida where their cops wouldn't recognize Quebec's French-only licenses so Quebec drivers needed IDP's to have an English translation to satisfy Florida law. I'd say better safe than sorry and get it anyway if you're driving anywhere other than Canada or USA; you don't want to risk showing up at the airport car rental desk hoping to pick up your ride and they refuse to let you rent.

In Canada, only the CAA is authorized to sell IDP's (anybody else who claims to be able to sell you one, is selling a fake product that won't be recognized by any foreign agency). First get a passport size photo then visit your nearest CAA office (you don't have to be a member), you fill out a form, hand that in with your licence and your passport, pay the fee, and they will make an IDP for you.

IMHO it looks ghetto for what you pay -- cheap looking cardstock with your info HAND WRITTEN on it and the photo inserted into tabs:

Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2624 posts
657 upvotes
Scarborough
Consult youtube re scams....blame you for damages....hold your passport..