• Jul 10th, 2019 11:08 am
[OP]
Jul 13, 2002
311 posts
3 upvotes
Oakville

License plate with a bike rack

Hi Everyone,

I know most people seem to be okay with a bike rack obscuring their license plate without getting a ticket, but if one wanted to adhere to the letter of the law, what would be the best way of moving the license plate to conform to the law (mounting it on the bike rack, hanging it like rental cars do, etc). Or Is no matter what you do technically not in compliance?

In Ontario, if that makes a difference
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2300 posts
797 upvotes
just leave it as is
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13510 posts
7635 upvotes
Toronto
i have carried bikes on the back of my cars for years and have never had an issue with the police.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2714 posts
1245 upvotes
Calgary
Cops will do ticket campaigns and hand out tickets for this, but I have only heard of complaints of people getting ticketed with rack up and obscuring plate with no bikes on it.
Jul 19, 2010
606 posts
243 upvotes
Calgary
I would say 75% of people who have bike racks "blocking" their plate, haven't ridden/transported a bike in Years !! Cops should ticket more on this offense.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15453 posts
16555 upvotes
Oakville
drtmrcht wrote: I would say 75% of people who have bike racks "blocking" their plate, haven't ridden/transported a bike in Years !! Cops should ticket more on this offense.
Same goes for roof racks.
Last edited by engineered on Jul 9th, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2839 posts
2723 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
engineered wrote: Same goes for roof racks.
I'd be very impressed if someone managed to obscure their plate using a roof rack Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1430 upvotes
???
Zip tie the plate to one of the bike posts. As long as it’s the furthest thing behind the car, you’re ok.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4076 posts
3407 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Ecsta wrote: I'd be very impressed if someone managed to obscure their plate using a roof rack Face With Tears Of Joy
You almost made me snork out what I was sipping as I read this! Your made my day with that pithy observation.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15453 posts
16555 upvotes
Oakville
Ecsta wrote: I'd be very impressed if someone managed to obscure their plate using a roof rack Face With Tears Of Joy
lol, was referring to not using the rack. haven't ridden/transported a bike in Years
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28046 posts
8482 upvotes
This is all officer discretion. The obscuring part in the law is left 100% up to the officer charging you. You can get a ticket for obscuring your licence plate via any means. Whether it's a clear (yes clear) plate cover which does nothing at all, or a bike rack which clearly makes it difficult/impossible to view the plate, or a bunch of snow/mud...you can get a ticket. Only thing you can't get an obscuring ticket for is having nothing over the view line of the plate at all.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6346 posts
1984 upvotes
BC
vaportech wrote: Zip tie the plate to one of the bike posts. As long as it’s the furthest thing behind the car, you’re ok.
No. It must be illuminated to make it ok.

From the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Rear lamps to illuminate number plate
(19) The lamp on the rear of a motor vehicle or trailer shall be of at least three candela and shall be so placed that it will, at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, illuminate the numbers on the number plate, or, if provision is made on the number plate or on any attachment furnished or required by the Ministry for affixing the lamp, it shall be affixed in the position or space provided, and the lamp shall face to the rear and reflect on the number plate a white light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (19).

Same in just about every other jurisdiction including the U.S. Day or night, it is a ticketable offence.