• Jun 30th, 2020 1:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3060 posts
719 upvotes
Vaughan

License plate from previous car

I sold my car a few weeks ago. The stickers expire in July. I didn't keep my portion of the ownership (didn't know i had to keep one side of it). So i can't return the plate to the MTO for any sort of refund without my portion of the ownership.

I have my old plates in my tool chest in my garage. I really have no use for them though. If i throw them away in the garbage, and lets say someone picks them up and decides use the plates for whatever reason. Can i get into any trouble with the law? Can i just throw them in the garbage without worry?

I do know for a fact, the new owner already has new plates on the car. So the car is already registered to the new owner.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
6 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13676 posts
3702 upvotes
Montréal
Don't ppl like to hang their plates on their walls in the mancave or what not...or do you have some kinda OCD that compels you to throw everything away? LOL.

I kept my old ones, they're in storage somewhere, no biggie. One day, when the time is right, I'm gonna mount them on the wall.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3060 posts
719 upvotes
Vaughan
tranquility922 wrote: Don't ppl like to hang their plates on their walls in the mancave or what not...or do you have some kinda OCD that compels you to throw everything away? LOL.

I kept my old ones, they're in storage somewhere, no biggie. One day, when the time is right, I'm gonna mount them on the wall.
The rear one looks like trash. I have one of the defective plates that start with B. I already have too much junk in the house. Yes, i don't like to hoard things.

I sell things i don't use anymore, and if they have no value, i throw them out. I used to keep almost everything, but i just found myself throwing it out years later down the road.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2028 posts
1282 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Just return them. You would not be eligible for a refund due to the upcoming expiry date, nor would you need the other half of the paperwork for just returning them.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1255 posts
1118 upvotes
Toronto
I have my motorcycle plate on the wall.
I have the set for the old Corolla in the garage, somewhere.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2046 posts
546 upvotes
Woodbridge
You don't need the owner portion of the ownership.
Just go to service ontario to retire the plates and move on.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13676 posts
3702 upvotes
Montréal
phuviano wrote: The rear one looks like trash. I have one of the defective plates that start with B. I already have too much junk in the house. Yes, i don't like to hoard things.

I sell things i don't use anymore, and if they have no value, i throw them out. I used to keep almost everything, but i just found myself throwing it out years later down the road.
Hey, I'm all for anti-hoarding actions, but we're talking about 1 or 2 pieces of thin metal here.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>