License plate sticker not received yet?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2019 10:38 pm
[OP]
Apr 12, 2019
48 posts
25 upvotes

License plate sticker not received yet?

It had been 7 business days so far. I have not received the mail with the new stickers yet. I renewed it online, also the receipt that says it will expire in 10 days(not business days), is gonna expire tomorrow.

Is this normal, in Toronto? Is it too soon to ask for a replacement in Service Ontario?
17 replies
Jan 23, 2015
822 posts
334 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
The same here, I got mine last week in 5 business days.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24046 posts
8996 upvotes
Toronto
I got mine in about 8-9 calendar days. If you are stopped by the police, as long you have the renew confirmation, you should be okay.
Jul 19, 2007
341 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
Don't wait more than 2 weeks. I just had to get a replacement sticker for mine, which didn't arrive past 31 days. Needed to pay $7 fee beyond 31 days. Lesson learned. Ministry offers 30 day grace period for free stickers and no delivery.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2019
48 posts
25 upvotes
resan wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 10:52 am
Don't wait more than 2 weeks. I just had to get a replacement sticker for mine, which didn't arrive past 31 days. Needed to pay $7 fee beyond 31 days. Lesson learned. Ministry offers 30 day grace period for free stickers and no delivery.
How did you get the replacement one, did you go to service ontario or they did it for you over the phone? I have some kind of a receipt they gave me, which says this is only valid for 10 days. And today is the 10th day.

How did you explain it to them that you did not receive yours, what did you have to take with you if you went in person? Ministry or service ontario?
[OP]
Apr 12, 2019
48 posts
25 upvotes
Kingsmen17 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 6:54 am
Contact MTO. I got mine in 5 business days.
I should contact MTO and not Service Ontario?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28392 posts
14185 upvotes
Ottawa
ninamozilisky wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 1:20 pm
I should contact MTO and not Service Ontario?
You should try to go to a Service Canada location in person.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2019
48 posts
25 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 1:36 pm
You should try to go to a Service Canada location in person.
I only have a copy of the vehicle permit, my lease is up in 3 months. So if I go to Service Ontario I wonder if they would ask me for the original permit because I misplaced it. At which point they would attempt to charge me another 100 bucks who knows. What a pain in the ash! I only have 3 months left for this car to be surrendered, waste of money.

Should I just wait until Friday to see if it arrives? I renewed it on 22nd of May around 7 PM, which is a Wednesday evening. If they shipped it out on Friday the 24th, it is unusual that it didn't reach a Toronto address within business 5 days isn't it. There wasn't any stat holiday either.

These situations really stress me out why won't it be a smooth process. ugh!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1147 posts
901 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ninamozilisky wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 1:59 pm
I only have a copy of the vehicle permit, my lease is up in 3 months. So if I go to Service Ontario I wonder if they would ask me for the original permit because I misplaced it. At which point they would attempt to charge me another 100 bucks who knows. What a pain in the ash! I only have 3 months left for this car to be surrendered, waste of money.

Should I just wait until Friday to see if it arrives? I renewed it on 22nd of May around 7 PM, which is a Wednesday evening. If they shipped it out on Friday the 24th, it is unusual that it didn't reach a Toronto address within business 5 days isn't it. There wasn't any stat holiday either.

These situations really stress me out why won't it be a smooth process. ugh!
Just go to the location with the copy and if they ask for the original say the copy is all you have on you, not the end of the world and im sure they're used to people not having all their paperwork. The last thing you want is getting a ticket the last 3 months of owning the car, then you'll wish you took care of it.

My sister had the same thing happen, waited until the last minute to renew and then her sticker never showed up. She went to a service centre and was in and out quickly with the sticker. Mind you she lives in St Catherines so there's no lineups there, but should be a smooth process. You're not doing anything complicated and they probably deal with this constantly.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2019
48 posts
25 upvotes
Ecsta wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 3:06 pm
Just go to the location with the copy and if they ask for the original say the copy is all you have on you, not the end of the world and im sure they're used to people not having all their paperwork. The last thing you want is getting a ticket the last 3 months of owning the car, then you'll wish you took care of it.

My sister had the same thing happen, waited until the last minute to renew and then her sticker never showed up. She went to a service centre and was in and out quickly with the sticker. Mind you she lives in St Catherines so there's no lineups there, but should be a smooth process. You're not doing anything complicated and they probably deal with this constantly.
That is awesome! Thank you for sharing that. There is a Service Ontario in Canadiantire near Lakeshore BLVD, I will try there tomorrow. Thanks.
Jul 19, 2007
341 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
ninamozilisky wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 12:55 pm
How did you get the replacement one, did you go to service ontario or they did it for you over the phone? I have some kind of a receipt they gave me, which says this is only valid for 10 days. And today is the 10th day.

How did you explain it to them that you did not receive yours, what did you have to take with you if you went in person? Ministry or service ontario?
Yes I went to a service ontaro location. Needed to show the online renewal receipt along with the ownership and insurance copy. I inquired over the phone prior to visit and the service canada office advised me to take all these documents ahead. So my advice is to take all documents.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2019
48 posts
25 upvotes
resan wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 4:30 pm
Yes I went to a service ontaro location. Needed to show the online renewal receipt along with the ownership and insurance copy. I inquired over the phone prior to visit and the service canada office advised me to take all these documents ahead. So my advice is to take all documents.
Did they "need" you original ownership or they won't make a big deal if I only had a copy? Which location was this?
Jul 19, 2007
341 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
I had original that's what I took. Not sure if they would work with a copy. Best to call ahead and check. My location was Hwy7 east of Markham Rd. In Markham.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7348 posts
1671 upvotes
Mississauga
ninamozilisky wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2019 4:57 am
It had been 7 business days so far. I have not received the mail with the new stickers yet. I renewed it online, also the receipt that says it will expire in 10 days(not business days), is gonna expire tomorrow.

Is this normal, in Toronto? Is it too soon to ask for a replacement in Service Ontario?
Do you have any outstanding parking tickets?