• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2020 12:28 am
[OP]
Dec 15, 2017
127 posts
86 upvotes

License plate sticker validity on a brand new car

Hi all,

Tried to search for an answer but couldn't find one. Purchased a brand new car in August in Ontario. The sticker on license plate says "21 March", meaning it expires in 7 months from now. Is it normal or something's not right? Picked up the car this week, everything's is brand new as expected. Shouldn't the sticker be valid for full 12 months though? A dumb question I know but this is my first car in Canada. Just wondering if this is normal before I contact the dealer for explanation. Many thanks.
14 replies
Mar 7, 2006
59 posts
69 upvotes
The sticker expires on the birth date of the registered owner. It would seem that your birth month is March.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1368 posts
387 upvotes
Brampton
Sticker is valid till the end of Birth month of the registered owner. Is your birthday in March? Nothing to do with new or old car.

Edit: expiry is 11.59pm on the birth date.
Last edited by dealerguy on Aug 20th, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2017
127 posts
86 upvotes
dealerguy wrote: Sticker is valid till the end of Birth month of the registered owner. Is your birthday in March? Nothing to do with new or old car.
dswchow wrote: The sticker expires on the birth date of the registered owner. It would seem that your birth month is March.
Yes, birthday in March. This makes sense now. Thank you both!
Mar 7, 2006
59 posts
69 upvotes
dealerguy wrote: Sticker is valid till the end of Birth month of the registered owner. Is your birthday in March? Nothing to do with new or old car.
In Ontario the sticker expires at midnight on the registered owner's birthday.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1368 posts
387 upvotes
Brampton
dswchow wrote: In Ontario the sticker expires at midnight on the registered owner's birthday.
You are correct.
Jan 20, 2012
746 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
Hercaz wrote: Hi all,

Tried to search for an answer but couldn't find one. Purchased a brand new car in August in Ontario. The sticker on license plate says "21 March", meaning it expires in 7 months from now. Is it normal or something's not right? Picked up the car this week, everything's is brand new as expected. Shouldn't the sticker be valid for full 12 months though? A dumb question I know but this is my first car in Canada. Just wondering if this is normal before I contact the dealer for explanation. Many thanks.
It’s normal. If your new sticker is less than 4 months till your birthday, then they will renew it for the year after.
Jan 20, 2012
746 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto

It’s normal. If your new sticker is less than 4 months till your birthday, then they will renew it for the year after. Otherwise it will expires on your next birthday.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2219 posts
858 upvotes
Hometown

Totally normal as noted by others. I would have sprung for the sticker for another year though, so it would have been valid to March 2022. Only because I really believe prices will go up later this year or early next year. The province is going to be scrambling for each and every dollar they can get from taxes and fees of all kinds.... I hope I am wrong but I can't see how we dig out of this hole covid is causing without all of us paying a lot more.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4034 posts
3460 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Inclemental wrote: It’s normal. If your new sticker is less than 4 months till your birthday, then they will renew it for the year after. Otherwise it will expires on your next birthday.
YMMV. Just got a car with new plates from the dealer and the sticker expires in less than 3 months.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6346 posts
1984 upvotes
BC
In Canada, we spell the noun licence differently than in the U.S. (Except on RFD where American spellings are common.)

The verb is different. Licensing. Or you license someone.

Just like to maintain those things that distinguish us from our southern neighbours. Apart from gun laws.

Congratulations on the new car! If you ever move to another province, you may find that they don't use birthday as the renewal trigger - straight 12 months or whatever shorter period you choose.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2138 posts
3030 upvotes
macnut wrote: If you ever move to another province, you may find that they don't use birthday as the renewal trigger - straight 12 months or whatever shorter period you choose.
In terms of the plate, Manitoba doesn't even use stickers anymore. They give out plain white stickers to cover the date, new plates don't require stickers. My birthday is in October, but licence/insurance renewal are on the same day 4 months later in February.
Jan 20, 2012
746 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
rugerty100 wrote: YMMV. Just got a car with new plates from the dealer and the sticker expires in less than 3 months.
Are you still within 30 days? You should be able to get it exchange with MTO giving that you paid full price for your sticker.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3836 upvotes
I see Ontario doesn't give a shit about privacy. Sticker is related to owner birthdate. Driver licence includes the DOB in it's number. Way to go Ontario, make that fraud easier. Glad I don't live there
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4034 posts
3460 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Inclemental wrote: Are you still within 30 days? You should be able to get it exchange with MTO giving that you paid full price for your sticker.
Nah, the fee seemed to have been prorated. It's fine, just a little bit of a hassle having to renew so soon. Paid a little under a hundred bucks for permit, plates, and sticker.