Automotive

License plate when buying a new car but temporarily keeping the old one

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2019 10:50 pm
[OP]
Oct 10, 2004
6 posts

License plate when buying a new car but temporarily keeping the old one

I have a car, but am about to buy a new one.
If I was trading in the the old one then the dealership could simply transfer the plates to the new car.
But, once I buy the new one, I want to sell the old one privately, and that will take 2-3 weeks.

What's the best way to go about this?

Do I get a temporary license plate for the new car (I believe it lasts only 10 days)?
Or, do I get a new license plate for the new car and leave the old one as is until I manage to sell it?

Thanks.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27431 posts
13358 upvotes
Ottawa
For ease of selling the old car, keep the plates on it.
Dec 22, 2007
395 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga
Ignac wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 7:04 pm
I have a car, but am about to buy a new one.
If I was trading in the the old one then the dealership could simply transfer the plates to the new car.
But, once I buy the new one, I want to sell the old one privately, and that will take 2-3 weeks.

What's the best way to go about this?

Do I get a temporary license plate for the new car (I believe it lasts only 10 days)?
Or, do I get a new license plate for the new car and leave the old one as is until I manage to sell it?

Thanks.
if your in Ontario just get a new plate its like (20$) err $60 you can return one set after and get most of the money back for a sticker. just adjust your price for the car by the amount it costs you
Last edited by duderaf on Apr 26th, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2004
6 posts
Super, thanks for your responses!
Will get new plates for the new car!

Cheers
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1875 posts
1058 upvotes
Markham
duderaf wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 7:17 pm
if your in Ontario just get a new plate its like 20$ you can return one set after and get most of the money back for a sticker. just adjust your price for the car by the 30-40$
You're basing the license plate price on old information. It once was $20, it no longer is. New plate with new ownership is $59.
Nov 7, 2016
136 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
You can get money back for your sticker on your old plate too when your done with it if there is still time left on it...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1630 posts
980 upvotes
Depending on the "quality" of the old car. If it's a 1000-2000 beater, just pull the plates. If it's a 20,000 dollar car and you expect to get that, leave the plates on. If you have a cheap car, either refuse test drives or if they insist, take a quick drive around the block with you in the car. That's what I've always done, no issues. It's a good idea to keep insurance on the old car however just in case something happens.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6203 posts
842 upvotes
For a new car you want nice minty new plates on it. You don't want to be moving over the rusty crappy plates from an old car.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3852 posts
3982 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JeganV wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 10:01 pm
You're basing the license plate price on old information. It once was $20, it no longer is. New plate with new ownership is $59.
WTF? When did this happen?
woof wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 4:27 pm
For a new car you want nice minty new plates on it. You don't want to be moving over the rusty crappy plates from an old car.
Rusty plate beats a peeling B-series plate
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27431 posts
13358 upvotes
Ottawa
er34er34 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 4:30 pm

Rusty plate beats a peeling B-series plate
New plate with new permit.
The permit alone is $32.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1875 posts
1058 upvotes
Markham
er34er34 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 4:30 pm
A lot of Service Ontario costs have changed roughly about a year ago. It was the most extensive overhaul of pricing in a very long time. Previous changes were one or two items with a minor adjustment.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1671 posts
1532 upvotes
I just paid $240 for another 2 years on my plate. Now I want new plates with my next new car. I was going to transfer plates over, but found out the existing plates were damaged. I was told that it's a pain for me now to get new plates, because I have to apply to the MTO to get my $240 back, and then I have to pay another $240 for 2 years if I want new plates.

Is any of this BS right?!
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1875 posts
1058 upvotes
Markham
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 8:40 pm
I just paid $240 for another 2 years on my plate. Now I want new plates with my next new car. I was going to transfer plates over, but found out the existing plates were damaged. I was told that it's a pain for me now to get new plates, because I have to apply to the MTO to get my $240 back, and then I have to pay another $240 for 2 years if I want new plates.

Is any of this BS right?!
From what you're saying not really, although more info may be needed. What damage is there to the existing plates? If they're not able to mount it because of damage to say the mounting holes then its smart to simply return it to refund the remainder of your sticker. Normal use though its really rare for plates to be so heavily damaged. I sift through a lot of fleet vehicle plates 98% are reusable if need be, only a few where the mounting screw was stuck and were ripped off are unusable and of course written off cars, those plates are mangled.

You can always apply for a new set of plates to replace the damaged ones and transfer existing sticker and permit info. You'll be charged $59 for that, and an extra $7 if the sticker portion is missing. I had to do this for a whole set of plates for a account that managed to find a way to cleanly slice through the front plate of some cargo vans.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
1671 posts
1532 upvotes
JeganV wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 8:54 pm
From what you're saying not really, although more info may be needed. What damage is there to the existing plates? If they're not able to mount it because of damage to say the mounting holes then its smart to simply return it to refund the remainder of your sticker. Normal use though its really rare for plates to be so heavily damaged. I sift through a lot of fleet vehicle plates 98% are reusable if need be, only a few where the mounting screw was stuck and were ripped off are unusable and of course written off cars, those plates are mangled.

You can always apply for a new set of plates to replace the damaged ones and transfer existing sticker and permit info. You'll be charged $59 for that, and an extra $7 if the sticker portion is missing. I had to do this for a whole set of plates for a account that managed to find a way to cleanly slice through the front plate of some cargo vans.
Thank you. With the latter can that be done at a dealership at time of sale?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.