Life changing decision...

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2010 11:02 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
626 posts
14 upvotes

Life changing decision...

All my life I have not known what I want to be or what I want to become. I enrolled in Ryerson's bachelor of commerce program without knowing what I was really getting my self into.

Recently I have noticed my interest towards a more intriguing subject. Science!
I am not exactly sure either what field or where I want to focus, but I do know if I am to acquire knowledge about something, it should be worth while.

My concern is the process of transferring from a program to another program where I am no longer labeled as a 'business' student. If the option exist, I would like to maintain my commerece degree but also pursue a degree in say life sciences. Is that feasabile?

I am considering taking science related course this spring/summer (4 courses).

Has any one taken this path before or similar?

I guess its better to change as soon as you realize what you really want rather then prolong it.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2487 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
ryeman wrote: My concern is the process of transferring from a program to another program where I am no longer labeled as a 'business' student. If the option exist, I would like to maintain my commerece degree but also pursue a degree in say life sciences. Is that feasabile?
What year are you currently in? Theoretically one cannot be enrolled under two faculties at the same time, but you can take their courses as electives. I would advise you, after you take your "sampler" summer courses, to look up your school's calendar and pick your major to know your path. Since you want to keep doing commerce, choose science courses appropriately as your electives (if you have electives), and take summer courses that builds toward the science degree. When you graduate, you'll at least have first year science plus a bit of second year done to make up some time. You'll then transfer to the Faculty of Science with those courses exempted.

Obviously I am not familiar with the paper work but I have also looked into changing faculties myself not too long ago and was told that this would work.

There are a couple of issues. Firstly, you'll have zero time for summer jobs and practically you'll be spending an extra 2-3K for summer courses every year. Make sure you or your family can support that first. Second, speak with some friends who have taken the science route to know what it actually is about. Not to scare you but I'm sure once you reach 2nd year courses like Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry everything will seem tedious, pointless, and boring, no matter how much passion you had going in. I don't know what was your "trigger" to go into the sciences, but enthousiasm and passion are two different things. If you're just interested in reading about breakthrough research and all the cool practical applications of science, then learning the nitty gritty details of PCR will not serve that enthousiasm. What you need to ask yourself is... do you really want to know the WHY... down to specific, gory details?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
626 posts
14 upvotes
currently year 1. entering year 2 as of 2010 sept.

You ask if I really want to know the WHY for all the peculiar stuff related to science. To be honest, I can't say that I do. But could you not apply that same concept to my current position in obtaining a commerce degree? I could care less about the specific metrix analysis used in determining the return on investment, or how to create production budgets.

Isn't it a better idea to at least pursue something that is of More interest rather than something that I have less interest in? I mean, since I'm currently in business I try my best and am successful in achieving good grades, and feel that in a science route I will perform the same, if not better due to the added incentive.

I don't know why you might think having a job is not applicable while taking 4 courses in the summer. A job is must no matter what the situation, we all have to hold our own.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2487 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
Oh, I thought you meant you wanted to maintain commerce!

I can't speak for what you learn in business, I'm a little more experienced in sciences and I can tell you the incentives in each program is fundamentally different. Generally speaking doing things for money is more of a motivator than the pursuit of scientific knowledge. That is why most of the time science students switch to business but you're the other way around which makes things a bit interesting. However, science is not something that you can just step in and learn. What is your science background in terms of high school courses?

Of course it is better to pursue something you're more interested in, but I just want you to think through this and not make a hasty decision. I'm sure you'll have quite a bit of explaining to do if you switch programs so you definitely don't want to do this again next year. In the mean time you should look up the procedure of switching Faculties.

As for "4 courses" I realize that there's ambiguity depending on the university. Maybe you can juggle that with a full time summer job... but I really think you need to just slow down a bit. You've realized that you just lost a year and now you're trying to do everything at once.

Only you know what's best for yourself. What I can tell you is that if your interest in science is purely reading breaking news and the latest research in magazines, you'll still do fine in first year science courses when things are more general, but once you go into year 2, all the theory might make you lose interest.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3371 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
Which type of science are you planning to go into?
Jul 3, 2008
542 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
oh god, not science!!!! if you really have to choose, engineering would be better

i want to change from science to bba!!!! :cheesygri
Banned
Aug 17, 2009
79 posts
Toronto, ON
The grass is always greener on the other side.

I'm sure you've at least had an idea of what you wanted to do. You didn't wake up and say, "Hey I'm going to get a BBA!"

Maybe you don't like what everyone else likes? I can relate to this. In grade 12 I was the only business guy while everyone else was science. Back then I hated science. Now everyone is business and I seem to know science the best out of everyone.
Jul 3, 2008
542 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
AftComet wrote: The grass is always greener on the other side.

I'm sure you've at least had an idea of what you wanted to do. You didn't wake up and say, "Hey I'm going to get a BBA!"

Maybe you don't like what everyone else likes? I can relate to this. In grade 12 I was the only business guy while everyone else was science. Back then I hated science. Now everyone is business and I seem to know science the best out of everyone.
i learned too much science to like it
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
626 posts
14 upvotes
medalgo wrote: Oh, I thought you meant you wanted to maintain commerce!

I can't speak for what you learn in business, I'm a little more experienced in sciences and I can tell you the incentives in each program is fundamentally different. Generally speaking doing things for money is more of a motivator than the pursuit of scientific knowledge. That is why most of the time science students switch to business but you're the other way around which makes things a bit interesting. However, science is not something that you can just step in and learn. What is your science background in terms of high school courses?

Of course it is better to pursue something you're more interested in, but I just want you to think through this and not make a hasty decision. I'm sure you'll have quite a bit of explaining to do if you switch programs so you definitely don't want to do this again next year. In the mean time you should look up the procedure of switching Faculties.

As for "4 courses" I realize that there's ambiguity depending on the university. Maybe you can juggle that with a full time summer job... but I really think you need to just slow down a bit. You've realized that you just lost a year and now you're trying to do everything at once.

Only you know what's best for yourself. What I can tell you is that if your interest in science is purely reading breaking news and the latest research in magazines, you'll still do fine in first year science courses when things are more general, but once you go into year 2, all the theory might make you lose interest.
yes I would like to maintain commerce degree too if possible. I was just thinking if it would be better to officially admitted in a science faculty and finish my business degree via electives and summer/school.

You are also right, I am particularly interested of new ground breaking science, reading magazines learning about new types of brain implants or newer technologies in there preliminary stages that present dramatic changes in the future.

I cant really say I know what I'm getting my self into, or even what kind of job I will/want to get. I personally can't see my self being employed by someone, doing a routine...but what i do know is i want to have that scientific knowledge and may be apply that to something I may encounter serendipitously.

What feild of science are you in currenty?. In high school I can't say I was the same person I am now. I did not show a deep interest in any course and chose most that I thought were easy and my friends were also taking them. Such as business, law, accounting. I did not take any science course after the mandatory ones in grade9-10.

I am also concerned with math. I do not really enjoy it and am quite weak at it. If I transfer to a science program will they consider that i did not take any science in high school like bio and chem?

I was also thinking if i am to switch out of the faculty i may as well switch schools to a place where science is perhaps more recognized. (any suggestions). if that option exist please do let me know.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
ryeman wrote: All my life I have not known what I want to be or what I want to become. I enrolled in Ryerson's bachelor of commerce program without knowing what I was really getting my self into.

Recently I have noticed my interest towards a more intriguing subject. Science!
I am not exactly sure either what field or where I want to focus, but I do know if I am to acquire knowledge about something, it should be worth while.

My concern is the process of transferring from a program to another program where I am no longer labeled as a 'business' student. If the option exist, I would like to maintain my commerece degree but also pursue a degree in say life sciences. Is that feasabile?

I am considering taking science related course this spring/summer (4 courses).

Has any one taken this path before or similar?

I guess its better to change as soon as you realize what you really want rather then prolong it.
Theres like literally thousands of different science fields, think wisely before you actually transfer
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
626 posts
14 upvotes
firefly767 wrote: oh god, not science!!!! if you really have to choose, engineering would be better

i want to change from science to bba!!!! :cheesygri
engineering is very interesting to me, also subjects like physics. I would consider that route into something like biomedical engineering or aerospace, but i feel I lack the mathematics skills that are required. What i do enjoy is the what the engineering theory like string theory or the law of physics and how they can be used to infer greater things.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
626 posts
14 upvotes
HTTP04 wrote: Theres like literally thousands of different science fields, think wisely before you actually transfer
well what if i said im interested alot with the brain. I often find my self looking at cat scans of the brain, analyzing various differnt types of neurons in the brain, different types of chemicals in the brain like dopamine, certain types of pills and there effect on the brain, how it alters the frequency of certain chemicals to change people. Im interested in new technologies, particularly deep brain stimulation. A process involving having something implanted in your brain you remove such things as severe depression or tourette syndrome.

Perhaps a field which involves courses which would increase my knowledge on such a matter. Neuroscience? endocrinology?psychoneuroimmunology ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
ryeman wrote: well what if i said im interested alot with the brain. I often find my self looking at cat scans of the brain, analyzing various differnt types of neurons in the brain, different types of chemicals in the brain like dopamine, certain types of pills and there effect on the brain, how it alters the frequency of certain chemicals to change people. Im interested in new technologies, particularly deep brain stimulation. A process involving having something implanted in your brain you remove such things as severe depression or tourette syndrome.

Perhaps a field which involves courses which would increase my knowledge on such a matter. Neuroscience? endocrinology?psychoneuroimmunology ?
Neurosurgeon
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
626 posts
14 upvotes
HTTP04 wrote: Neurosurgeon
neurosurgeon was a great suggestion. It led me to some other great branches of a similar which are of more interest to me. such feilds as:

Cognitive neuroscience*

Physiological psychology***

Behavioral neuroscience**

* my level of interest (*** highest)
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2487 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
Grade 10 Science + Grade 11 Math going into first year science = bad.

I stand by what I said earlier, and your recent posts tell me only one thing, you're not actually interested in learning the science, you have a great enthusiasm catching on with the latest vocab and research topics but fundamentally you're not interested in the "why" beyond a superficial sense. Novel research is still just theories and formulas, and you need a Masters before you're going to be doing any of that.

I'm not trying to stop you from pursuing your interest, but right now you seem so unsatisfied with business that you're just talking yourself into science more and more. It's like a new relationship where you're both crazy about each other...it sure isn't going to last. I'm afraid taking this wrong turn will just waste more of your time and money.

Also, most programs cannot be completed just by taking electives and summer school, you can pick science or business but after graduating from one you're looking at at least another two years to finish the other. Science is actually a bit easier to do as an elective and through summer school since there's a bigger demand for those summer courses.

Pre-requisites might also be a problem, you might have to do some night school courses at the high school level, but that I'm not sure about. You should consult your school to know about the procedure first to see if it's feasible.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1735 posts
253 upvotes
Winnipeg
Well, you seem to be drawn to the science field. Theres also neurobiology and neuropharmacology. Math skills dont have to be great, some chemistry and kinetics and you will probably have to take physics (At least at my uni).
You don't have the pre-reqs now, if you have a decent GPA, profs may give you an exception to get into the first year classes.

Another thing, reading stuff in magazines always seems so interesting, and the potential it has (some does have amazing potential, but to get grants everyone has to sell what theyre doing to get funding). Scanning electron photos makes things also look amazing. In reality, research doesn't look so flashy like in magazines, you have to interpret data, it can be repetative. There is usually alot of failure, troubleshooting and repeats. Maybe see if you can volunteer with a prof, or if marks are good, get some funding after your first year like an NSERC)

Great you want to go into science, and good luck man. But, its not always so flashy. Some of the classes are rediculously boring and useless. Find some profs around campus doing things that interest you and actually try and see the lab. Most students switch majors a few times in university, but jumping to a different faculty because it looks slightly more appealing may lead you to lose interest in it. But hey, maybe you will even become and academic.

Also, science can be a slow process, what you see in the paper could be like 5 years of work of a grad student (a bit more to the extreme but still).
Curious, what is your GPA like now? And how did you do in the science courses in HS.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2009
626 posts
14 upvotes
ragin_pyro wrote:
Also, science can be a slow process, what you see in the paper could be like 5 years of work of a grad student (a bit more to the extreme but still).
Curious, what is your GPA like now? And how did you do in the science
courses in HS.
Well currently i have roughly a 3.0 gpa. In highschool grade 10 or 9 science i believe i got 50%, more or less. But at that time i wasnt interested in anything really i was just a kid screwing around.

just curious if as to what NSERC is ?
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1735 posts
253 upvotes
Winnipeg
An award giving by The National Science and Engineering Research Council. The government agency covers like 4/5 of your pay for a summer research job. Profs love it because most dont have much funds, and means its less of a burden on them. Downside, competitive, University of Manitoba only got 20 (Not sure if that was for the entire campus or just Science) and you needed something like a 4.02 on a 4.5 scale to get one.

Not to discourage you, but it might be a bit harder, but hey, if you really feel interested, go for it.