Off Topic Archive

Locked: This Is Life: Chinese in America

[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes

This Is Life: Chinese in America

A must watch for all the sell outs here. Learn a little. "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/10/04 ... lisa-ling/
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Share:
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1212 upvotes
aGincourt
Asians need to stand up for themselves and stop putting their heads in the sand, stop being the quiet model minority, stop thinking that other races are laughing WITH you and not AT you at derogatory stereotypes. Only then can change happen, but of course you have the banana's that hurt the Asian movement by siding with YTs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5556 posts
540 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: A must watch for all the sell outs here. Learn a little.
Thanks for the post. I had no idea that Chinese who immigrated to North American faced discrimination. All these years, I had assumed that racial minorities (and non-WASP Caucasians such as Irish and Italians) who arrived here over the centuries came because there is no prejudice whatsoever on this continent. You really opened my eyes. :rolleyes:
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown

Anyone seeing the trend yet?

I better start making threads about how us Jews are victims and whiteys are keeping us down.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
247 upvotes
Swswswish wrote: Asians need to stand up for themselves and stop putting their heads in the sand, stop being the quiet model minority, stop thinking that other races are laughing WITH you and not AT you at derogatory stereotypes. Only then can change happen, but of course you have the banana's that hurt the Asian movement by siding with YTs.

You'll get way more help and political backing from educated, liberal females or republicans, than you will from the particular Asian demographic that wants to stay ignorant. And a lot of successful Asian American executives are aware of the problems and the most elite universities have very active Asian American orgs and classes.

It's funny because many of the most successful Asian Americans are aware of the issues, including Lisa Ling. And they openly talk about it (a lot of Asian American CEOs and execs in the SIlicon Valley openly hold panels). But it's the less successful ones that either don't know or are to embarrassed hence the belief that "they're laughing with me not at me." You think it's their own embarrassment or fear of standing up for themselves that's holding them back? Or they're really just not intellectually capable of understanding it?

The part when Lisa Ling's aunt talks about the restaurant and the harmful stereotypes is particularly relevant, considering there was a 15 page thread where many RFD Asians here "didn't see a problem" :facepalm:

Many smart, educated non-Asians get it.

I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
Corner3 wrote: You'll get way more help and political backing from educated, liberal females or republicans, than you will from the particular Asian demographic that wants to stay ignorant. And a lot of successful Asian American executives are aware of the problems and the most elite universities have very active Asian American orgs and classes.

It's funny because many of the most successful Asian Americans are aware of the issues, including Lisa Ling. And they openly talk about it (a lot of Asian American CEOs and execs in the SIlicon Valley openly hold panels). But it's the less successful ones that either don't know or are to embarrassed hence the belief that "they're laughing with me not at me." You think it's their own embarrassment or fear of standing up for themselves that's holding them back? Or they're really just not intellectually capable of understanding it?

The part when Lisa Ling's aunt talks about the restaurant and the harmful stereotypes is particularly relevant, considering there was a 15 page thread where many RFD Asians here "didn't see a problem" :facepalm:

Many smart, educated non-Asians get it.

I have a rather huge family of in-laws, Chinese that is, and none of them have this sort of victim complex you portray. I guess they haven't got the memo and instead have learned that hard work and intellectual investment into your life goes a long way. This is part of the background of why I admire my in-laws -- financially smart, people who don't sit around playing victim status and doing nothing in life, instead have invested in their lives and made something of it, without so much as a peep. More often than not this demographic of Asians are examples to learn from when it comes to work ethic.

Or, as you call them, uneducated. I guess they haven't yet learned the intellectual value of sitting around whining and feeling entitled to special treatment.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5556 posts
540 upvotes
Corner3 wrote: But it's the less successful ones that either don't know or are to embarrassed hence the belief that "they're laughing with me not at me." You think it's their own embarrassment or fear of standing up for themselves that's holding them back? Or they're really just not intellectually capable of understanding it?
Complete BS. Most successful Asian Americans, like most successful people of any ethnic group, nationality, gender, etc. are successful because they don't waste their time fretting about real or imagined slights.
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
121 upvotes
Logtown
CheapScotch wrote: Complete BS. Most successful Asian Americans, like most successful people of any ethnic group, nationality, gender, etc. are successful because they don't waste their time fretting about real or imagined slights.
Just haven't learned the art of endless whining.. because thats how we get anywhere in life.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
186 upvotes
Corner3 wrote:
Man Rachel Bloom is cool as phuck. That was a nice interview.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1794 posts
251 upvotes
Markham
OMG, another Asian thread kicked off by OP
Here we go...