Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 30, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
York

life left on 2005 camry, currently 140,000 km

I'm considering buying a 2005 toyota camry with 140,000 km on it. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these cars and how much longer the car will last for realistically? I've heard mixed opinions, some seem to think this is way too many miles. Also, if any thoughts on what a reasonable price would be I would appreciate it.
26 replies
Nov 29, 2011
877 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
It will last until the odometer reaches exactly 201,384 kms

Seriously, there's way too many variables that come into play here. One could last until 150,000 kms, another one could last 300,000 kms.
Got a ticket? Here's some advice:
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: fight it!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8434 posts
2085 upvotes
My dad sold his 2003 LE for 2k last year. The odometer had....361000 on it :cheesygri . I believe 2003 and 2005 are the same gen, so YMMV
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
if it was maintained should last another 100K, if not then it is a hit or miss.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2145 posts
689 upvotes
if you wanna get technical, cars will last forever as long as you keep replacing/repairing broken parts. The main point is that how much are you willing to spend on repair work.

For example, your tranny dies at 200,000km, and it costs you $2000 to replace it when your car is only worth $2500 market value, are you willing to spend that money on it? If so, your car will run for another 200,000km before your tranny dies again. If not, then your car only "lasted" 200,000km . Get it?

There's pretty much always a fix for everything as long as you don't total your car into pieces.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
malecoke wrote: if you wanna get technical, cars will last forever as long as you keep replacing/repairing broken parts. The main point is that how much are you willing to spend on repair work.

For example, your tranny dies at 200,000km, and it costs you $2000 to replace it when your car is only worth $2500 market value, are you willing to spend that money on it? If so, your car will run for another 200,000km before your tranny dies again. If not, then your car only "lasted" 200,000km . Get it?

There's pretty much always a fix for everything as long as you don't total your car into pieces.
or try cutting costs here and there by DIY with used scrap yard parts.
Jan 20, 2009
52 posts
80 upvotes
BC
Invest a little bit of money and have the vehicle inspected. The mechanic should be able to give you an idea of the overall state of the vehicle and what you should expect to fix/replace. For a well maintained Camry 140k km is nothing...
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
3010 posts
1279 upvotes
140k on a camry is not particularly high mileage, and if it has been maintained, and you continue do do so, you could readily get at least another 140k, but probably more like 200k plus out of it. I don't understand all the people here thinking a hundred and change is high mileage. I drive a Freestar in excellent shape with 310 (I hope to get 400k to 450k out of it) and wife drives an Echo with 260k (aiming for 500k).

Forget the advice of not spending money repairing a vehicle if the repair exceeds market value, as if you don't you end up spending a lot more, by ditching a perfectly functional vehicle and spending upwards of 10 times the money or more on a new one.

I just dropped $1700 on a nearly full front end rebuild on the ford (inner/outer tie rod ends, ball joints, and an axle, plus other work) I really doubt a 2005 Freestar with 310k is worth much more than that, but now it is probably good for another 100k as far as that work goes.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1350 upvotes
rocs180 wrote: I'm considering buying a 2005 toyota camry with 140,000 km on it. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these cars and how much longer the car will last for realistically? I've heard mixed opinions, some seem to think this is way too many miles. Also, if any thoughts on what a reasonable price would be I would appreciate it.
140,000 km = " way too many miles ' ? :rolleyes:

Nonsense.

A properly maintained vehicle should last at least until 300,000 km these days without running into any ' atypical ' repairs.

Add to the fact that Toyota / Camry's are above average in reliability - if properly maintained - you should have no problem hitting 400,000 km IMO.

And as you should do with any used vehicle, if you're seriously interested in buying a 2005 toyota camry with 140,000 km on it...just make sure you get a robust pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic you trust before deciding.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Jan 20, 2009
52 posts
80 upvotes
BC
Just out of curiosity, how much is the asking price?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4157 posts
1107 upvotes
140,000 km is nothing. It's like a man in the 25th. My car has 380,000km on it and still running strong. The next possible thing that will break down is the transmission (for auto) and that might cost you $2000. But that will enable you to use your car for another few years. Yes $2k is expensive but think of it that way. For leasing or financing a car you are paying about at least $300 to $500 a month. So that $2000 will break even in less than a year and I'm sure you can drive over a year after investing $2000 on your transmission repair. That's my theory. Hope it helps.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
For a well-maintained Toyota/Honda 140k is nothing. Some of those things last well into the 3xxxxx kms, even 4xxxxx if you REALLY look after it. We have an old family friend with a 1989 Camry with 3xxxxx kms, originally purchased new, that still runs fine. He and his family occasionally still go on roadtrips with it :lol: A coworker also drives one of those, but the manual version. Also have a fellow student with one with 272k kms, although a 1995 model. Runs perfectly fine.
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
Premium wrote: Offtopic, how much do you think a Toyota Camry 2005 LE with less than 110K sells for?
I'd say roughly 10000.
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12200 posts
3405 upvotes
Plenty of life left on this Camry 2005 Camry, now it's 2012. Your car is like 8 years old. Only 140k. So your are only driving 20k a year approximately.

Your car should be at least 300k now, if you were actually driving it somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1022 upvotes
Toronto, ON
malecoke wrote: if you wanna get technical, cars will last forever as long as you keep replacing/repairing broken parts. The main point is that how much are you willing to spend on repair work.
What about rust?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1350 upvotes
VivienM wrote: What about rust?
Well, in the case of the OP, that's one of the reasons why you need a robust pre-purchase inspection done.

That aside, an annual rust-proofing should make rust pretty much a non-issue...IMO.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2873 posts
1967 upvotes
I'd say you definitely want to consider rust. Ask if the car's ever been rustproofed before. My 1999 Mazda protege's engine was phenomenal with only oil changes at 225k but we didn't undercoat it and it rusted to heck. Mazda typically had those problems back then though.

Even if the engine is fine you don't want to be spending $250 every month getting a ball joint, control arm, bushing or whatever replaced due to rust. As someone else mentioned, the key is having someone inspect it thoroughly if you're seriously considering buying it.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
York
Thanks everyone for the replies, that's really helpful. Turbos007, to answer your question, the asking price is 7k.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3231 upvotes
Calgary
rocs180 wrote: I'm considering buying a 2005 toyota camry with 140,000 km on it. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these cars and how much longer the car will last for realistically? I've heard mixed opinions, some seem to think this is way too many miles. Also, if any thoughts on what a reasonable price would be I would appreciate it.
140k km's is nothing -- I'd be looking for 400-500k km's from such a vehicle.

Toyotas/Hondas tend to eat suspension/steering components a little bit faster than GM's (something about Japanese roads not being harsh, so they optimize cost in the ***** vehicles), but they have advantages in other areas.