Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1828 posts
1352 upvotes
GTA West

Lifetime Ban from Ebay. Why?

I rarely used Ebay, I think twice in the last 10 years, but I had a long standing account. Recently I tried to buy a $25 item my wife wanted and ended up being banned for life! I can live without Ebay, but I am still wondering what my transgression was.

I started by ordering an item (a small bottle of obscure flavour essence) and paying with Paypal. After some delay, the payment was declined but no reason was provided. As it happens, I was testing a VPN and realized later that Paypal doesn't permit the use of VPN when using their service. So that could have been the issue. (I have used Paypal several times since then, with no problems).

Then I tried ordering the item with the low-limit credit card I reserve for online transactions. This time the transaction was declined for the reason that I was ordering "more than the maximum quantity permitted" by the vendor. This was not the case - I was ordering one only and the amount to be paid was for one item.

Since the item was available from another vendor for a couple of bucks more, I tried that vendor instead. The transaction was not completed and timed out.

Shortly thereafter I got an email stating that I was irrevocably banned from the Ebay platform for life. Huh??

We have reviewed the activity we have seen connected to your account. As a result, your account has been suspended because we believe this activity presents a risk to our eBay community. We do not make this decision lightly. Building a trusted marketplace where people around the world can buy and sell safely is our first priority.

This suspension is permanent and means that you will not be able to participate in any buying or selling activities on eBay. In addition, any other accounts that you own, or that are associated with this account, will also be suspended.

We regret the frustration or inconvenience this may cause you. However, there is no appeal for this decision

I assume that big online companies have sophisticated AI or algorithms to identify and fight fraudulent use, but I can't imagine how I triggered this reaction from Ebay for this simple transaction. So I am wondering if there is some kind of wider issue with my online identity that I need to think about. I have a flawless credit file going back decades and a high credit score. Anyone have a similar experience?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3967 upvotes
likely an algorithm that flagged suspicious activity with the paypal issue and since it's an old account with very few trades, higher likelihood it's a compromised account . that's my guess. Much like how i get scam emails from old zombie compromised email accounts from people who used to be on MSN messenger (hotmail accounts)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15061 posts
2645 upvotes
Get your wife to open the account.
Oct 10, 2020
565 posts
306 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I rarely used Ebay, I think twice in the last 10 years, but I had a long standing account. Recently I tried to buy a $25 item my wife wanted and ended up being banned for life! I can live without Ebay, but I am still wondering what my transgression was.

I started by ordering an item (a small bottle of obscure flavour essence) and paying with Paypal. After some delay, the payment was declined but no reason was provided. As it happens, I was testing a VPN and realized later that Paypal doesn't permit the use of VPN when using their service. So that could have been the issue. (I have used Paypal several times since then, with no problems).

Then I tried ordering the item with the low-limit credit card I reserve for online transactions. This time the transaction was declined for the reason that I was ordering "more than the maximum quantity permitted" by the vendor. This was not the case - I was ordering one only and the amount to be paid was for one item.

Since the item was available from another vendor for a couple of bucks more, I tried that vendor instead. The transaction was not completed and timed out.

Shortly thereafter I got an email stating that I was irrevocably banned from the Ebay platform for life. Huh??

We have reviewed the activity we have seen connected to your account. As a result, your account has been suspended because we believe this activity presents a risk to our eBay community. We do not make this decision lightly. Building a trusted marketplace where people around the world can buy and sell safely is our first priority.

This suspension is permanent and means that you will not be able to participate in any buying or selling activities on eBay. In addition, any other accounts that you own, or that are associated with this account, will also be suspended.

We regret the frustration or inconvenience this may cause you. However, there is no appeal for this decision

I assume that big online companies have sophisticated AI or algorithms to identify and fight fraudulent use, but I can't imagine how I triggered this reaction from Ebay for this simple transaction. So I am wondering if there is some kind of wider issue with my online identity that I need to think about. I have a flawless credit file going back decades and a high credit score. Anyone have a similar experience?

They suspend your account not you. Basically, they want you to register again.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
808 upvotes
Waterloo
the2ndme wrote: They suspend your account not you. Basically, they want you to register again.
In addition, any other accounts that you own, or that are associated with this account, will also be suspended.
^

Op would have to open a new Paypal account with a different email address and then add a new account . then maybe it will work.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20078 posts
4622 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Maybe the OP should get an 'authorized user' credit card under a fictitious name, and use that for a new PayPal and eBay account.
- casual gastronomist -
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
59 posts
12 upvotes
same thing happened to me unfortunately some time ago. the only thing you can do is call them and maybe tell them u lost access to ur account and were hacked and would like to reset your password and get access to it again.

they are difficult though. and strict.
Banned
Oct 8, 2020
59 posts
12 upvotes
ebay has some of the oddest/strictest algo's / AI that i have seen. it never used to be like this. but since about 5 years its been like this.really painful exp with them
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1828 posts
1352 upvotes
GTA West
Trilateral wrote: ebay has some of the oddest/strictest algo's / AI that i have seen. it never used to be like this. but since about 5 years its been like this.really painful exp with them
I'm not feeling any pain since I have rarely used Ebay. I guess I could always use one of my other online ID's to create a new account, or create one for my wife if I wanted to bother. But who knows - they may have banned my shipping address too!
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11336 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
I think I may see the issue here:
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I'm not feeling any pain since I have rarely used Ebay. I guess I could always use one of my other online ID's to create a new account, or create one for my wife if I wanted to bother. But who knows - they may have banned my shipping address too!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1828 posts
1352 upvotes
GTA West
HowEver wrote: I think I may see the issue here:
Not really. Ebay always had my correct name and address, and I always provided valid payment information in dealing with them. But I can open a new account with them using another email address. I just did, just out of curiosity. But I won't be using it after the response I had trying to buy a petty $25 item with a valid payment card.

Many people have multiple Internet identities and more than one email address, and more and more people are using VPN's. All part of staying anonymous and safe in that dangerous place called "the Internet".
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28705 posts
9158 upvotes
Creating a new eBay account should be as simple as using a different email address. Heck you may even be able to make a new account with the same email. Also if you're just buying things, you don't even need an account at all on eBay these days--you can checkout as a "guest".

Creating a new PayPal account, one that you can actually make/receive payments from, is another story though. But since your PayPal seems to be fine still unless eBay has somehow marked any link to that same PayPal acc't as bad, I don't think you have a huge problem.