• Nov 19th, 2019 10:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2253 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto

Lifetime fancy gym worth it?

Anyone a member of lifetime? Super nice gym has only a few locations with some nice amenities but it’s 150 a month is this worth it? What’s the best deal I can get and would they waive joining fees?
38 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13777 posts
8811 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
$150 is basically this...older people more amenities and extras. For the average Joe Shmoe, it's too much. So these clubs are usually for certain types of people who has $$$ to spend. I would just join a regular gym instead of wasting $150 a month.
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Anyone a member of lifetime? Super nice gym has only a few locations with some nice amenities but it’s 150 a month is this worth it? What’s the best deal I can get and would they waive joining fees?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2253 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Well update place was amazing loved it
275 a month for me and kids lol
Jul 15, 2006
940 posts
102 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Currently a member and I end up taking group fitness classes (due to time constraints) approx. 5 days/week. For me, it's totally worth it. Great variety of group fitness classes throughout the day and well maintained amenities.

Best time to join: Canada day weekend when joining fee is waived. Not sure if it's waived during other holidays as well.
Jun 2, 2019
4 posts
2 upvotes
i miss that gym. it was beautiful. the aminities made it look like a resort without the rooms LOL
Jun 10, 2019
2 posts
I'm not sure if it's still relevant, but I was a member of that gym, it was really cool, but then I noticed that I don't have that much time and only go to the gym 2 times a week, so I quit since it was that expensive.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11454 posts
3717 upvotes
Toronto
You better go everyday or multiple times a days if you are paying $150 a month for a gym membership.

Some people willing to pay extra for luxury stuff. There is a market for it, but just not for everyone. Just like 407ETR....
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4121 posts
948 upvotes
I see a lot of families go to this gym and I think it's because they offer the flexibility of babysitting while you're working out
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2510 posts
2174 upvotes
Canada
Are there private rooms here that you can use?
To the moon
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1797 posts
977 upvotes
Durham
We loved this gym. I don't see it being worthwhile for someone without kids. We have 2 kids and they loved all the activities, from playing sports, arts, craft and the list goes on. Unfortunately, I had lost my job so we went on a budget for a bit. Hopefully we make a return soon.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2253 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Member now for just over a month and this gym is absolutely worth it, for all the amenities they offer they really can’t afford to charge people less they wouldn’t make any $!!. I love it and so do the kids, and they will watch your kid up to 3 hours, every time you go in, for an extra $40 a month it’s a damn steal honestly . This is one of those rare rareeee situations where I think something with a high price tag is worth it lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2253 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Redsanta wrote: Are there private rooms here that you can use?
There are private rooms in the family change room but for the men’s and women’s it’s regular fancy locker room type set up
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2253 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: You better go everyday or multiple times a days if you are paying $150 a month for a gym membership.

Some people willing to pay extra for luxury stuff. There is a market for it, but just not for everyone. Just like 407ETR....
This ! Honestly the high price tag motivates me to go at least 4 times a week; I’ve joined cheap gyms before but for 40 bucks a month I know I’m not motivated to go . At this price point just the thought of wasting that kinda money gives me hives I’m in there all the damn time lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2253 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Shop-a-holic wrote: Currently a member and I end up taking group fitness classes (due to time constraints) approx. 5 days/week. For me, it's totally worth it. Great variety of group fitness classes throughout the day and well maintained amenities.

Best time to join: Canada day weekend when joining fee is waived. Not sure if it's waived during other holidays as well.
Well if you ask nicely they will waive it lol. I love the classes too!! I only wish the Pilates was included
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11454 posts
3717 upvotes
Toronto
Heavenleigh85 wrote: This ! Honestly the high price tag motivates me to go at least 4 times a week; I’ve joined cheap gyms before but for 40 bucks a month I know I’m not motivated to go . At this price point just the thought of wasting that kinda money gives me hives I’m in there all the damn time lol
150$ + tax and you go 4 times and week, and let's say 4 weeks per month.
You pay about $10 each time you go there.

I hope each time you go, it is a 2 hours session minimum. lol
and not just a quick 20min jogging and 10 min shower. haha
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2253 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: 150$ + tax and you go 4 times and week, and let's say 4 weeks per month.
You pay about $10 each time you go there.

I hope each time you go, it is a 2 hours session minimum. lol
and not just a quick 20min jogging and 10 min shower. haha
Lol no way usually 1-2 hours
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
12 posts
5 upvotes
The Big Smoke
Glad to hear it's worth it. We spend 120/mo for family access to Goodlife
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1150 posts
567 upvotes
Research shows that there are two types of gyms worth joining:
  1. A super close gym, or
  2. A super nice (and therefore expensive) gym.
Link: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/03/y ... uper-nice/

You can't just look at cost per visit only. After all, why do many people buy luxury cars, when they could get a lower cost per trip with an economy car?

So amenities do have a value, and nice amenities can make you more likely to use the gym.

It may even be good value because the expensive gym likely has:
  • Better group class schedule, with better instructors.
  • Wider variety of classes, such as Yoga, and Interval Training classes, again with better instructors. How much would it cost to have a HIIT session at OrangeTheory, CrossFit, F45, etc... how much would it cost to have a yoga class with a top instructor at a yoga studio?
  • better equipment, less crowded.
  • less likely to have things stolen... I'm not saying theft doesn't happen at expensive gyms, but the real horror stories are from big chain gyms. At expensive gyms, if you leave your phone unattended in the change room, and it's unlikely to get stolen.
  • will be well kept and clean
  • Litetime is know to have good childcare programs.
I'm not a Lifetime member, but I've only heard positive things about it. I am a member of a fancy gym. Paying more for a fancy gym can make a lot of sense for many people. How much is your health worth to you?
Jul 15, 2006
940 posts
102 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I see Discover Pilates and Pilates Fusion on the LT - Mississauga schedule. Never taken'em myself, but you may wanna try'em out :-)
Mar 15, 2011
505 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Wow that is pricey! Do you get any personal instruction for free or someone who tracks your progress and motivates you?, or are the class sizes small?

Will you still go as often in the winter for this price?

I go to my community centre gyms, and I'm really happy with the classes. Includes pool time, skate time and water fitness, and some sports. I even get equipment there. I pay $46 monthly.

Based on my pattern, l will cancel in the winter when shovelling snow and cold temps keep me in doors.