None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3812 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga

Light in backyard shed is not working

Its a new house for me so not sure where to start, I don't see any fuse's off in the basement, the shed has electric light in there and ive tested working bulbs and we didn't do anything to it but over the winter now the light won't go on was working before.

Whats best way to try to track down the problem? The shed is in the backyard.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
is anything else working there (plug point etc)?
circuit tripped? checked mainswitch box?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3812 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga
its interesting u mentioned that there is a switch on the front of the shed, and the light is orange. I pressed it in a few times but went to the mainswitch i dont see anything tripped down in my basement.

should i try turning the power on and off throughout the entire house?
Nov 10, 2009
817 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not sure if you have breakers or fuses but if you have breakers, make sure none of the breakers are stuck in middle position. Usually, when they trip, it stays in middle position and the way to reset is, you pull it towards OFF position first and then turn it ON.

Also, sometimes the breaker trips but mechanically sticks to ON position making you think that it is not tripped. The way to check if that's the case, lightly tap each breaker towards OFF position. If it is tripped but stuck in ON position, it will release to the middle(tripped) position.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3812 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga
I checked and it appears all is in order. Thou there is an electric outlet on the front of the shed where the light is orange/yellow, should it be green?

I tried cutting the power to the entire house and turning back on, problem persists.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5394 posts
3658 upvotes
Sounds like you have a GFI receptacle there. Maybe you just have to press the reset button.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5735 posts
1321 upvotes
dreaderus wrote: I checked and it appears all is in order. Thou there is an electric outlet on the front of the shed where the light is orange/yellow, should it be green?

I tried cutting the power to the entire house and turning back on, problem persists.
pootza wrote: Sounds like you have a GFI receptacle there. Maybe you just have to press the reset button.
This. Probably a breaker somewhere in the shed electrical grid that is tripped. Press the reset button back in on the recepticle
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9139 posts
2045 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
pootza wrote: Sounds like you have a GFI receptacle there. Maybe you just have to press the reset button.
Sounds like this is the issue. The GFI receptacle has tripped and the light circuit is after the receptacle. Reset the receptacle and all should be fine. If the GFI continues to trip, then the cause for that has to be determined.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3812 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga
I press in the "reset" area and then the light goes off, but comes back on as yellow/orange again, almost like the reset isnt kicking in. any thing else someone could recommend? can take some screenshots if needed.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
dreaderus wrote: I press in the "reset" area and then the light goes off, but comes back on as yellow/orange again, almost like the reset isnt kicking in. any thing else someone could recommend? can take some screenshots if needed.
How is the feed provided from your house to the shed? A few pics of the complete system will remove a lot of similar questions.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9139 posts
2045 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
dreaderus wrote: I press in the "reset" area and then the light goes off, but comes back on as yellow/orange again, almost like the reset isnt kicking in. any thing else someone could recommend? can take some screenshots if needed.
Which means there is a ground fault somewhere. Is the shed the only thing on the circuit? Is there anything plugged in anywhere else in the circuit? If so, unplug and reset again. If not, then I am questioning the wiring. Maybe something wasn't done properly and came loose over the winter.