• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2023 6:28 pm
Tags:
Jul 23, 2006
196 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto

Light Bulb Hues

Is there such a light bulb for lamps or light fixtures that doesn't give off a Yellowish hue? If I buy "warm white", I notice the lighting looks yellow, if I buy "daylight" then the hue looks too cool almost blue.

I'm looking for a happy medium. I have pot lights in my basement that give off a perfect hue of almost bright white, but not blue ish but I cant find that happy medium in a A19 bulb for my kitchen ceiling fixtures or family room lamps. I know the light shade can affect the light output, but even if I remove the shade, the colours are off.

Any suggestions? Maybe a certain brands shine better than other?

Thanks!
9 replies
Feb 20, 2018
213 posts
210 upvotes
You're probably looking for 4000K bulbs - the perfect balance between too yellow and too blue.
Nov 30, 2009
824 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto/Mississauga
I have pot lights that are 4000K and they're perfect.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1912 posts
1497 upvotes
Longueuil
You can set the temperature of the cheap Sylvania smart bulbs at Dollarama ($5 for 2) at any value using your phone through Bluetooth. I didn't use any of the "smart" features (I prefer to use smart switches) but I set the temperature color.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Jul 23, 2006
196 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
anandoc wrote: You're probably looking for 4000K bulbs - the perfect balance between too yellow and too blue.
Perfect!! I will look for that.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Just for future reference …
The middle shade is known as Bright White / Cool White
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
2789 posts
3289 upvotes
Depends on what the light is used for. Personally I like 3000k. Warm without being yellow. I find 4000-5000k starts to become too white or too close to daylight.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
JEDI Force wrote: You can set the temperature of the cheap Sylvania smart bulbs at Dollarama ($5 for 2) at any value using your phone through Bluetooth. I didn't use any of the "smart" features (I prefer to use smart switches) but I set the temperature color.
The Sylvania Bluetooth smart colour bulbs at Dollarama were a great deal, but all gone now I think. What they have left now are are the warm-white-only Sylvania Smart bulbs. But there are other brands selling for as little as $4/bulb.

In theory you can set any colour bulb to a precise RGB value that mimics a specific colour temperature. In practice the apps may not offer fine adjustment. The Sylvania bulb app offers a colour map where you can try to pick a colour if your finger touch is precise enough, but Alexa and Google Home offer only presets. Alexa offers Warm White, Soft White, White, Cool White, and Daylight. With the Sylvania bulb it looks like White would be what the OP is looking for.
Jul 23, 2006
196 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: The Sylvania Bluetooth smart colour bulbs at Dollarama were a great deal, but all gone now I think. What they have left now are are the warm-white-only Sylvania Smart bulbs. But there are other brands selling for as little as $4/bulb.

In theory you can set any colour bulb to a precise RGB value that mimics a specific colour temperature. In practice the apps may not offer fine adjustment. The Sylvania bulb app offers a colour map where you can try to pick a colour if your finger touch is precise enough, but Alexa and Google Home offer only presets. Alexa offers Warm White, Soft White, White, Cool White, and Daylight. With the Sylvania bulb it looks like White would be what the OP is looking for.
Thanks!
Jun 6, 2018
105 posts
50 upvotes
2700k =warm white (yellowish)
3000k = cool white (white)
4000k = office light (white with blue)
5000k = daylight. (Blueish)

Having installed more then 100,000 fixtures, my prefence is 2700k in side lamps and 3000k in overhead lights and halogen bulbs in spot fixtures(highlight items).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)